“Had a Great Time”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
“Had a Great Time”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the inn in the middle of March 2013 and really enjoyed ourselves. The setting, beside a creek and waterfall, was beautiful. The building fits the theme of the mill, with plenty of stone and wood in the decor. The inn is located about 30 km from Ottawa in the town of Wakefield which is located right on the Gatineau River. It's not a large village, but there's more than a few places you can wander into, including a bakery, several bars and the Black Sheep Inn (where they have good live music from time to time). Checking in and out of the inn went well. Our room was not large but it had everything we needed. It overlooked the waterfall. We didn't hear a peep from any adjoining rooms - nice and peaceful. Had a couple of drinks in the lobby/bar area, in front of the fireplace - very romantic. Didn't go to the spa, but I've heard from friends that it's excellent. Went to the inn's restaurant and had a great meal. We had no complaints at all about anything. The staff were friendly and all spoke English well. We'd definitely recommend it and we'd return anytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side of the inn.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our overnight stay in March 2013. The falls were gorgeous and we were very happy with our room. We highly recommend you stay in a room with king size bed overlooking falls. Well worth the extra money. It was extremely relaxing to fall asleep with the sound of the waterfall next to us. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. It had a real homey atmosphere and we did not feel like we were staying in a hotel, but rather a home away from home. The food was exceptional and the service was fantastic. Everyone was extremely friendly and eager to please. I enjoyed a massage at the spa and it was fantastic. Very clean and the sound of the falls was a nice touch. We are planning to make this a yearly experience for us. Make sure you bring your bathing suit for the outdoor hot tub and good walking boots for hiking trails just steps away from inn.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking river.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was an amazing getaway for one night to celebrate an anniversary. Everyone was extremely nice and we felt very welcome. It is a gem! Beautiful place to hike with the spa and the fine restaurant was delicious!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the waterfall is beautiful. There is no fitness centre but there are many activ...
Reviewed March 13, 2013

A disappointment. I was in a room in the Eco lodge. The room was very nicely furnished and had a lovely view. Unfortunately the hot water tap in the sink was uncooperative, the bedside lamps on one side of the bed did not work and there was no tub just a very large shower. In addition, neither of the outdoor hot tubs was working When I asked to switch to a room with a tub I was told that it would be an extra $60 (that must have been some swanky tub!!!).
My greatest disappointment however was the poor service and mediocre food in the Heron Room. Not seeing anything posted to suggest the contrary, I sat myself in the near empty room. There were two other parties seated enjoying afternoon tapas and wine being doted upon by a thoughtful and attentive waiter. I smiled at him. Nothing. I leafed through my magazine certain that he'd bring me the menu soon. Nothing. Caught his eye again. Nothing. This all went on for about 20 minutes. Finally I asked a passing busboy to ask someone to serve me. Waited. Nothing. I was just about to leave when a new waiter appeared. I walked up to him and asked for a glass of wine, and expressed my displeasure. He was kind but still never gave me a menu although he did fetch me my wine. Afterwards I spoke to someone who seemed to be in charge of the adjoining bar and the Heron Room who told me that I should have waited to be seated. I pointed out that there was no signage indicating this and that I would have gladly cooperated had the waiter made any attempt to communicate with me. Needless to say I went elsewhere for dinner.
When I checked out the following morning I told the front desk about my disappointments. They were kind and apologetic. But, their grand gesture to acknowledge my displeasure? They comped me my $7 cold buffet breakfast. Hmmmmm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa,Ontario
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently my spouse and I had the delight to spend an overnight at the Wakefield Inn and Spa. We stayed in the Eco lodge and were very happy with our room and the quiet night's sleep. The highlight of our stay had to be our dinner in the restaurant.The whole evening was a cornucopia of tastes. The chef put together such intriguing mixes of flavors that all balanced so incredibly well! Each course introduced us to new foods prepared in original ways. I am not a terribly adventurous eater but was delighted to experience these combinations! The lamb and steak we ordered were amazing.The meal lasted 2 hours including complimentary canapy to start and a "palate cleansing" red wine/liquor drink between courses. A real "European feel" of relaxed dining! The next day we had massages that were wonderful from start to finish. I am looking forward to our next stay with much anticipation!

Room Tip: The Eco Lodge is a little away from the hustle and bustle of the main building,if you don't mind...
1 Thank TravellingGals54
Montreal
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to the Wakefield Inn & Spa for a weekend getaway. We've been to many different inns, spas and hotels throughout Quebec and although it was our first time in Wakefield we knew many different establishments to compare it to. And I think that's there it didn't work out...

It's a nice enough place. The rooms are decent albeit not very spacious even though we had booked the luxury room. Our room provided a view of the river and the outdoor jacuzzis. The staff was courteous and professionnal. The location is very nice. Even in winter, the water from the river was flowing freely and Wakefield is a quaint (but rather touristy) village. The bar of the inn is nice and we enjoyed the pool table.

The problem is that for the price, this inn falls short. The rooms are not quite luxurious enough. The bathroom is a little outdated. The gas fireplace didn't add much. The spa services are rather limited. The outdoor jacuzzi is nice in winter but it's just a run of the mill (!) jacuzzi.

And the biggest issue was the food. The first evening we had dinner at the restaurant and frankly, the food is overly elaborate and just not very good. The foie gras creme brulee was too sweet. My fiance's pheasant was unedible (just a weird plate not cooked right) and my sea scallops were just average. The only good thing was my dessert (a flan). The next day we tried food at the bar and although it was slightly better it still wasn't very good. And it was very expensive.

Outcome: we won't come back. Was it bad? No. But for the price, you can do a lot better throughout Quebec.

Room Tip: The river view is nice but you do get the rumble of the white water throughout the night!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ambientson
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This quaint off-the-beaten-path location allows for a nice quiet and relaxing get-away. We arrived at around 3:15 pm only to find that our room was not ready yet. That was a bit disappointing but we had planned on heading out for a walk anyway. Most places guarantee a 3 pm arrival but this venue doesn't guarantee your room will be ready before 4 pm. The front desk clerk didn't have much of a personality. He was kind of abrupt - must have been having a bad day.
Dinner was great but it took an hour to get the apetizer. I know this is meant to be a relaxing experience but it you can't get a dinner reservation until 8:30 pm (have to admit we only booked a week or so in advance), 9:30 seems late to be getting your first course. Drink orders were missed with dinner so the server gave us those on the house.
All that said, it's a beautiful location and a short drive from Ottawa. Loved the new hot tub. It's big enough to accommodate 6 - 8 people comfortably.

Room Tip: If you're booking a room in the new EcoCentre section, do not take a room on the first floor (We...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hotel V
Kanata
Brookstreet Hotel
Brookstreet Hotel
#20 of 67 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!