“Romantic Getaway”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our overnight stay in March 2013. The falls were gorgeous and we were very happy with our room. We highly recommend you stay in a room with king size bed overlooking falls. Well worth the extra money. It was extremely relaxing to fall asleep with the sound of the waterfall next to us. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. It had a real homey atmosphere and we did not feel like we were staying in a hotel, but rather a home away from home. The food was exceptional and the service was fantastic. Everyone was extremely friendly and eager to please. I enjoyed a massage at the spa and it was fantastic. Very clean and the sound of the falls was a nice touch. We are planning to make this a yearly experience for us. Make sure you bring your bathing suit for the outdoor hot tub and good walking boots for hiking trails just steps away from inn.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking river.
There are newer reviews for Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was an amazing getaway for one night to celebrate an anniversary. Everyone was extremely nice and we felt very welcome. It is a gem! Beautiful place to hike with the spa and the fine restaurant was delicious!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the waterfall is beautiful. There is no fitness centre but there are many activ...
Reviewed March 13, 2013

A disappointment. I was in a room in the Eco lodge. The room was very nicely furnished and had a lovely view. Unfortunately the hot water tap in the sink was uncooperative, the bedside lamps on one side of the bed did not work and there was no tub just a very large shower. In addition, neither of the outdoor hot tubs was working When I asked to switch to a room with a tub I was told that it would be an extra $60 (that must have been some swanky tub!!!).
My greatest disappointment however was the poor service and mediocre food in the Heron Room. Not seeing anything posted to suggest the contrary, I sat myself in the near empty room. There were two other parties seated enjoying afternoon tapas and wine being doted upon by a thoughtful and attentive waiter. I smiled at him. Nothing. I leafed through my magazine certain that he'd bring me the menu soon. Nothing. Caught his eye again. Nothing. This all went on for about 20 minutes. Finally I asked a passing busboy to ask someone to serve me. Waited. Nothing. I was just about to leave when a new waiter appeared. I walked up to him and asked for a glass of wine, and expressed my displeasure. He was kind but still never gave me a menu although he did fetch me my wine. Afterwards I spoke to someone who seemed to be in charge of the adjoining bar and the Heron Room who told me that I should have waited to be seated. I pointed out that there was no signage indicating this and that I would have gladly cooperated had the waiter made any attempt to communicate with me. Needless to say I went elsewhere for dinner.
When I checked out the following morning I told the front desk about my disappointments. They were kind and apologetic. But, their grand gesture to acknowledge my displeasure? They comped me my $7 cold buffet breakfast. Hmmmmm.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently my spouse and I had the delight to spend an overnight at the Wakefield Inn and Spa. We stayed in the Eco lodge and were very happy with our room and the quiet night's sleep. The highlight of our stay had to be our dinner in the restaurant.The whole evening was a cornucopia of tastes. The chef put together such intriguing mixes of flavors that all balanced so incredibly well! Each course introduced us to new foods prepared in original ways. I am not a terribly adventurous eater but was delighted to experience these combinations! The lamb and steak we ordered were amazing.The meal lasted 2 hours including complimentary canapy to start and a "palate cleansing" red wine/liquor drink between courses. A real "European feel" of relaxed dining! The next day we had massages that were wonderful from start to finish. I am looking forward to our next stay with much anticipation!

Room Tip: The Eco Lodge is a little away from the hustle and bustle of the main building,if you don't mind...
1  Thank TravellingGals54
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to the Wakefield Inn & Spa for a weekend getaway. We've been to many different inns, spas and hotels throughout Quebec and although it was our first time in Wakefield we knew many different establishments to compare it to. And I think that's there it didn't work out...

It's a nice enough place. The rooms are decent albeit not very spacious even though we had booked the luxury room. Our room provided a view of the river and the outdoor jacuzzis. The staff was courteous and professionnal. The location is very nice. Even in winter, the water from the river was flowing freely and Wakefield is a quaint (but rather touristy) village. The bar of the inn is nice and we enjoyed the pool table.

The problem is that for the price, this inn falls short. The rooms are not quite luxurious enough. The bathroom is a little outdated. The gas fireplace didn't add much. The spa services are rather limited. The outdoor jacuzzi is nice in winter but it's just a run of the mill (!) jacuzzi.

And the biggest issue was the food. The first evening we had dinner at the restaurant and frankly, the food is overly elaborate and just not very good. The foie gras creme brulee was too sweet. My fiance's pheasant was unedible (just a weird plate not cooked right) and my sea scallops were just average. The only good thing was my dessert (a flan). The next day we tried food at the bar and although it was slightly better it still wasn't very good. And it was very expensive.

Outcome: we won't come back. Was it bad? No. But for the price, you can do a lot better throughout Quebec.

Room Tip: The river view is nice but you do get the rumble of the white water throughout the night!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ambientson
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This quaint off-the-beaten-path location allows for a nice quiet and relaxing get-away. We arrived at around 3:15 pm only to find that our room was not ready yet. That was a bit disappointing but we had planned on heading out for a walk anyway. Most places guarantee a 3 pm arrival but this venue doesn't guarantee your room will be ready before 4 pm. The front desk clerk didn't have much of a personality. He was kind of abrupt - must have been having a bad day.
Dinner was great but it took an hour to get the apetizer. I know this is meant to be a relaxing experience but it you can't get a dinner reservation until 8:30 pm (have to admit we only booked a week or so in advance), 9:30 seems late to be getting your first course. Drink orders were missed with dinner so the server gave us those on the house.
All that said, it's a beautiful location and a short drive from Ottawa. Loved the new hot tub. It's big enough to accommodate 6 - 8 people comfortably.

Room Tip: If you're booking a room in the new EcoCentre section, do not take a room on the first floor (We...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Never in my life have I been in such a bad hotel. I have never had one night by myself in five years to relax so I got his as a valentines day gift. The spa treatment was ok but not very effective (seen much better) the food was terrible, I mean really bad, greasy and all was very sweet (3 courses). They said I had only a gift card for a tiny amount of monay and had to call several times to get the problem fixed and no apologies, upgrade or anything, I got awaken in the middle of the night by my neighbours because the wall have no sound isolation, at midnight I decided to leave, got another room but the radiator was doing terrible noise every fifteen minutes so I left and there was nobody in the hotel. Sent a message but still not received an answer, I do not expect to according to the other reviews I can read. Oh and the regular rooms are not nice at all which I find strange for an establishment not very old. And you can't get food delivered to your room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank auctoris
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that the experience you referenced did not meet your needs, particularly given the last time you were away from the family. As the person who assisted you out of the hotel that night, I did make a point of returning to the rooms in question to determine if there were any undue noise issues from other guests or from our heating/ac unit and found the rooms/hallways quite quiet.

I am also sorry that you were not satisfied with the complimentary room upgrade provided by our staff. I apologize that our cuisine did not meet your standards. I have read many thousands of reviews of our food, and this is the first time it has been described as "greasy". I will will discuss it with our Chef. You are correct that we do not offer a room service at the hotel. The hotel is quite intimate and we have two dining rooms, a lounge, and a range of outdoor terraces for food service. We also offer an in room selection of snacks and beverages.

In terms of room insulation, each room is separated with four layers of 5/8" drywall, two sets of sound attenuating insulation on top of insulated 6 inch walls. All doors are solid core and all windows are double thermal pane. There are different floor types in the building given its heritage character. In the room you referenced, the floor is poured 5 inch concrete. There were no rooms above yours.

Again, I regret that we were unable to meet your needs. Thank you again, for taking the time to share your views.
Robert Milling.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau-Ottawa
Lord Elgin
Lord Elgin
#7 of 67 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!