“Staying at the inn”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was an amazing getaway for one night to celebrate an anniversary. Everyone was extremely nice and we felt very welcome. It is a gem! Beautiful place to hike with the spa and the fine restaurant was delicious!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the waterfall is beautiful. There is no fitness centre but there are many activ...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 13, 2013

A disappointment. I was in a room in the Eco lodge. The room was very nicely furnished and had a lovely view. Unfortunately the hot water tap in the sink was uncooperative, the bedside lamps on one side of the bed did not work and there was no tub just a very large shower. In addition, neither of the outdoor hot tubs was working When I asked to switch to a room with a tub I was told that it would be an extra $60 (that must have been some swanky tub!!!).
My greatest disappointment however was the poor service and mediocre food in the Heron Room. Not seeing anything posted to suggest the contrary, I sat myself in the near empty room. There were two other parties seated enjoying afternoon tapas and wine being doted upon by a thoughtful and attentive waiter. I smiled at him. Nothing. I leafed through my magazine certain that he'd bring me the menu soon. Nothing. Caught his eye again. Nothing. This all went on for about 20 minutes. Finally I asked a passing busboy to ask someone to serve me. Waited. Nothing. I was just about to leave when a new waiter appeared. I walked up to him and asked for a glass of wine, and expressed my displeasure. He was kind but still never gave me a menu although he did fetch me my wine. Afterwards I spoke to someone who seemed to be in charge of the adjoining bar and the Heron Room who told me that I should have waited to be seated. I pointed out that there was no signage indicating this and that I would have gladly cooperated had the waiter made any attempt to communicate with me. Needless to say I went elsewhere for dinner.
When I checked out the following morning I told the front desk about my disappointments. They were kind and apologetic. But, their grand gesture to acknowledge my displeasure? They comped me my $7 cold buffet breakfast. Hmmmmm.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently my spouse and I had the delight to spend an overnight at the Wakefield Inn and Spa. We stayed in the Eco lodge and were very happy with our room and the quiet night's sleep. The highlight of our stay had to be our dinner in the restaurant.The whole evening was a cornucopia of tastes. The chef put together such intriguing mixes of flavors that all balanced so incredibly well! Each course introduced us to new foods prepared in original ways. I am not a terribly adventurous eater but was delighted to experience these combinations! The lamb and steak we ordered were amazing.The meal lasted 2 hours including complimentary canapy to start and a "palate cleansing" red wine/liquor drink between courses. A real "European feel" of relaxed dining! The next day we had massages that were wonderful from start to finish. I am looking forward to our next stay with much anticipation!

Room Tip: The Eco Lodge is a little away from the hustle and bustle of the main building,if you don't mind...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingGals54
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went to the Wakefield Inn & Spa for a weekend getaway. We've been to many different inns, spas and hotels throughout Quebec and although it was our first time in Wakefield we knew many different establishments to compare it to. And I think that's there it didn't work out...

It's a nice enough place. The rooms are decent albeit not very spacious even though we had booked the luxury room. Our room provided a view of the river and the outdoor jacuzzis. The staff was courteous and professionnal. The location is very nice. Even in winter, the water from the river was flowing freely and Wakefield is a quaint (but rather touristy) village. The bar of the inn is nice and we enjoyed the pool table.

The problem is that for the price, this inn falls short. The rooms are not quite luxurious enough. The bathroom is a little outdated. The gas fireplace didn't add much. The spa services are rather limited. The outdoor jacuzzi is nice in winter but it's just a run of the mill (!) jacuzzi.

And the biggest issue was the food. The first evening we had dinner at the restaurant and frankly, the food is overly elaborate and just not very good. The foie gras creme brulee was too sweet. My fiance's pheasant was unedible (just a weird plate not cooked right) and my sea scallops were just average. The only good thing was my dessert (a flan). The next day we tried food at the bar and although it was slightly better it still wasn't very good. And it was very expensive.

Outcome: we won't come back. Was it bad? No. But for the price, you can do a lot better throughout Quebec.

Room Tip: The river view is nice but you do get the rumble of the white water throughout the night!
1  Thank ambientson
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This quaint off-the-beaten-path location allows for a nice quiet and relaxing get-away. We arrived at around 3:15 pm only to find that our room was not ready yet. That was a bit disappointing but we had planned on heading out for a walk anyway. Most places guarantee a 3 pm arrival but this venue doesn't guarantee your room will be ready before 4 pm. The front desk clerk didn't have much of a personality. He was kind of abrupt - must have been having a bad day.
Dinner was great but it took an hour to get the apetizer. I know this is meant to be a relaxing experience but it you can't get a dinner reservation until 8:30 pm (have to admit we only booked a week or so in advance), 9:30 seems late to be getting your first course. Drink orders were missed with dinner so the server gave us those on the house.
All that said, it's a beautiful location and a short drive from Ottawa. Loved the new hot tub. It's big enough to accommodate 6 - 8 people comfortably.

Room Tip: If you're booking a room in the new EcoCentre section, do not take a room on the first floor (We...
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Never in my life have I been in such a bad hotel. I have never had one night by myself in five years to relax so I got his as a valentines day gift. The spa treatment was ok but not very effective (seen much better) the food was terrible, I mean really bad, greasy and all was very sweet (3 courses). They said I had only a gift card for a tiny amount of monay and had to call several times to get the problem fixed and no apologies, upgrade or anything, I got awaken in the middle of the night by my neighbours because the wall have no sound isolation, at midnight I decided to leave, got another room but the radiator was doing terrible noise every fifteen minutes so I left and there was nobody in the hotel. Sent a message but still not received an answer, I do not expect to according to the other reviews I can read. Oh and the regular rooms are not nice at all which I find strange for an establishment not very old. And you can't get food delivered to your room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank auctoris
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that the experience you referenced did not meet your needs, particularly given the last time you were away from the family. As the person who assisted you out of the hotel that night, I did make a point of returning to the rooms in question to determine if there were any undue noise issues from other guests or from our heating/ac unit and found the rooms/hallways quite quiet.

I am also sorry that you were not satisfied with the complimentary room upgrade provided by our staff. I apologize that our cuisine did not meet your standards. I have read many thousands of reviews of our food, and this is the first time it has been described as "greasy". I will will discuss it with our Chef. You are correct that we do not offer a room service at the hotel. The hotel is quite intimate and we have two dining rooms, a lounge, and a range of outdoor terraces for food service. We also offer an in room selection of snacks and beverages.

In terms of room insulation, each room is separated with four layers of 5/8" drywall, two sets of sound attenuating insulation on top of insulated 6 inch walls. All doors are solid core and all windows are double thermal pane. There are different floor types in the building given its heritage character. In the room you referenced, the floor is poured 5 inch concrete. There were no rooms above yours.

Again, I regret that we were unable to meet your needs. Thank you again, for taking the time to share your views.
Robert Milling.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband planned a wonderful Valentine surprise, a weekend at The Wakefield Mill Inn & Spa. We had been wanting to go there for a very long time so we had very high expectations.

Let me start by saying that while our experience didn't quite measure up, it wasn't a deal breaker, we will still give it one more try.

We checked in on Valentine's Day and found that our room was in the newest building which doesn't have an elevator but does have LOTS of stairs. This couldn't work because my husband is waiting for hip surgery so back to the front desk we went and fortunately they were able to get us a room in the main building which did have an elevator. Our room was darker and the bed was smaller but there was an elevator.

I think our biggest disappointment was the lack of information provided to us right from the start. This was our first visit so we didn't know anything about the Inn and the clerk at Reception certainly didn't go out of his way to give us any information. We didn't know where the hot tub was located, where the spa was located or what time our spa appointments were. We didn't realize there were two separate restaurants until we found out by accident. When we asked about parking, the clerk told us that there was no disabled parking because it was all public parking. He told us that a lot of people park at the Inn and walk into town so there is no specific parking for guests of the Inn. We thought that was really weird.

My husband had made a Valentine dinner reservation for us in the main restaurant. They had a Valentine menu, a regular menu or you could choose from either (mix it up). There was a wide selection on the menu but amazingly, there was nothing simple like chicken or pork. The items were a mixture of bison, lamb, guinea hen, venison, etc. I have a simple palate so I choose a steak and requested that it be cooked extra well done. I could just imagine the chef in the back being upset with a steak being requested to be cooked extra well done but that's what I wanted. Unfortunately, I had to send my steak back twice and believe it or not, the centre was still red when they brought it out the last time. Every time it came back from the kitchen, it had more char marks on the outside but it still remained red inside. To cook a steak well done you have to cook it longer, not hotter. I know this because my husband is a chef and he does it all the time. I wanted to ask if it would be ok for my husband to go back and cook it *smiling* My husbands meal was perfect and honestly, the rest of mine was too. The onion cream soup was delicious.

The package my husband purchased included dinner every night but after the first night, we cancelled our other dinners and decided to fend for ourselves.

Breakfast the next day was delicious. I highly recommend the bread pudding French toast. The caramel sauce was divine.

Next came our spa appointments. We were having facials, 90 minute massages, pedicures and manicures. We were told our facials were at 9:00 am but that was all we were told. Ends up after our facials our next appointment wasn't until noon. Any other spa I've been to, when you have a large number of services they typically provide you with lunch but not here. We had our facials, back up to our room, back down for massages, then sit and wait for manicures and pedicures. The facials were great, Melissa did mine and she was very good. She also did my massage and she was AMAZING. The waiting after our massages for our pedicures/manicures wasn't bad, it was just that no one communicated. I don't know if they thought we knew or what. Like I've said, communication was very poor. The one down side to the spa, or at least the one thing to be aware of, is that there are stairs down to the spa. It's not easily accessible.

We decided to grab snacks in the bar the second night and then found out that there was a different menu in there so we had dinner. I had the salmon and my husband had the fish and chips. We both enjoyed our meal.

Saturday we walked around Wakefield and grabbed things from the bakery and grocery store. Wakefield is a lovely community. The people are very friendly and welcoming. We found a new bakery on the main street that had just opened the week previous. The bakery is at the front of her home in a sunroom type place where you can see her baking from the street. She specializes in macaroons and THEY ARE DELICIOUS. We highly recommend the caramel ones.

Saturday afternoon we found the hot tub and spent some time out there. Getting to the hot tub was a bit challenging, you have to walk down through the spa to get to it (back to those stairs). The dangerous part of walking to the hot tub was watching for the snow that was falling off the roof.

Saturday evening We went to the bar at the Inn to enjoy the entertainment. I can't remember the gentleman's name but he was very good. High praise to the bartender who mixed a perfect drink and to Mara, she was a server in the restaurant and bar. She was always smiling, always friendly and very customer focused. She had suffered a steam burn on her wrist and you never would have known it from her behaviour. She was amazing.

Sunday brunch was absolutely delicious, definitely a highlight of the weekend. The layout for the buffet was really good, the variety was incredible and the service was great.

As I said in the beginning, we had high hopes/expectations for the Inn and Spa and they didn't quite meet what we were hoping for but it wasn't a deal breaker. We will go back again and give it another try. We did speak with a lot of people who were return guests and had a very positive experience. Hopefully that will be our experience too.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying in the main building if you go in winter because otherwise you'll have t...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meals with us notwithsatnding the steak issue. as well, i am pleased that you spa treatments met your needs.

On the subject of accessibility, I have a few comments. First, the new Eco River Lodge was designed to be wheelchair accessible at both levels. ( I would recommend that one uses the lower floor which makes for very easy access to the pool/grounds and original mill building.)

The Main mill building has an elevator and all rooms except the spa are accessible by it. In the summer months, we offer a "forest ramp" to the spa level from the north side of the hotel.

I acknowledge that communication, if not done properly, can be a frustration. We are using your letter as an example, in our staff training, of the importance of thorough communication. Finally, on the hot tub observations, it sounds like the new hot tub beside the pool would have been a better solution for your husband.

Thank you again. I look forward to meeting you both when you are next here.
Robert Milling

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
Kanata
Brookstreet Hotel
Brookstreet Hotel
#17 of 68 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!