“Nice get-away”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice get-away”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This quaint off-the-beaten-path location allows for a nice quiet and relaxing get-away. We arrived at around 3:15 pm only to find that our room was not ready yet. That was a bit disappointing but we had planned on heading out for a walk anyway. Most places guarantee a 3 pm arrival but this venue doesn't guarantee your room will be ready before 4 pm. The front desk clerk didn't have much of a personality. He was kind of abrupt - must have been having a bad day.
Dinner was great but it took an hour to get the apetizer. I know this is meant to be a relaxing experience but it you can't get a dinner reservation until 8:30 pm (have to admit we only booked a week or so in advance), 9:30 seems late to be getting your first course. Drink orders were missed with dinner so the server gave us those on the house.
All that said, it's a beautiful location and a short drive from Ottawa. Loved the new hot tub. It's big enough to accommodate 6 - 8 people comfortably.

Room Tip: If you're booking a room in the new EcoCentre section, do not take a room on the first floor (We...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Gatineau
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Never in my life have I been in such a bad hotel. I have never had one night by myself in five years to relax so I got his as a valentines day gift. The spa treatment was ok but not very effective (seen much better) the food was terrible, I mean really bad, greasy and all was very sweet (3 courses). They said I had only a gift card for a tiny amount of monay and had to call several times to get the problem fixed and no apologies, upgrade or anything, I got awaken in the middle of the night by my neighbours because the wall have no sound isolation, at midnight I decided to leave, got another room but the radiator was doing terrible noise every fifteen minutes so I left and there was nobody in the hotel. Sent a message but still not received an answer, I do not expect to according to the other reviews I can read. Oh and the regular rooms are not nice at all which I find strange for an establishment not very old. And you can't get food delivered to your room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank auctoris
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that the experience you referenced did not meet your needs, particularly given the last time you were away from the family. As the person who assisted you out of the hotel that night, I did make a point of returning to the rooms in question to determine if there were any undue noise issues from other guests or from our heating/ac unit and found the rooms/hallways quite quiet.

I am also sorry that you were not satisfied with the complimentary room upgrade provided by our staff. I apologize that our cuisine did not meet your standards. I have read many thousands of reviews of our food, and this is the first time it has been described as "greasy". I will will discuss it with our Chef. You are correct that we do not offer a room service at the hotel. The hotel is quite intimate and we have two dining rooms, a lounge, and a range of outdoor terraces for food service. We also offer an in room selection of snacks and beverages.

In terms of room insulation, each room is separated with four layers of 5/8" drywall, two sets of sound attenuating insulation on top of insulated 6 inch walls. All doors are solid core and all windows are double thermal pane. There are different floor types in the building given its heritage character. In the room you referenced, the floor is poured 5 inch concrete. There were no rooms above yours.

Again, I regret that we were unable to meet your needs. Thank you again, for taking the time to share your views.
Robert Milling.
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband planned a wonderful Valentine surprise, a weekend at The Wakefield Mill Inn & Spa. We had been wanting to go there for a very long time so we had very high expectations.

Let me start by saying that while our experience didn't quite measure up, it wasn't a deal breaker, we will still give it one more try.

We checked in on Valentine's Day and found that our room was in the newest building which doesn't have an elevator but does have LOTS of stairs. This couldn't work because my husband is waiting for hip surgery so back to the front desk we went and fortunately they were able to get us a room in the main building which did have an elevator. Our room was darker and the bed was smaller but there was an elevator.

I think our biggest disappointment was the lack of information provided to us right from the start. This was our first visit so we didn't know anything about the Inn and the clerk at Reception certainly didn't go out of his way to give us any information. We didn't know where the hot tub was located, where the spa was located or what time our spa appointments were. We didn't realize there were two separate restaurants until we found out by accident. When we asked about parking, the clerk told us that there was no disabled parking because it was all public parking. He told us that a lot of people park at the Inn and walk into town so there is no specific parking for guests of the Inn. We thought that was really weird.

My husband had made a Valentine dinner reservation for us in the main restaurant. They had a Valentine menu, a regular menu or you could choose from either (mix it up). There was a wide selection on the menu but amazingly, there was nothing simple like chicken or pork. The items were a mixture of bison, lamb, guinea hen, venison, etc. I have a simple palate so I choose a steak and requested that it be cooked extra well done. I could just imagine the chef in the back being upset with a steak being requested to be cooked extra well done but that's what I wanted. Unfortunately, I had to send my steak back twice and believe it or not, the centre was still red when they brought it out the last time. Every time it came back from the kitchen, it had more char marks on the outside but it still remained red inside. To cook a steak well done you have to cook it longer, not hotter. I know this because my husband is a chef and he does it all the time. I wanted to ask if it would be ok for my husband to go back and cook it *smiling* My husbands meal was perfect and honestly, the rest of mine was too. The onion cream soup was delicious.

The package my husband purchased included dinner every night but after the first night, we cancelled our other dinners and decided to fend for ourselves.

Breakfast the next day was delicious. I highly recommend the bread pudding French toast. The caramel sauce was divine.

Next came our spa appointments. We were having facials, 90 minute massages, pedicures and manicures. We were told our facials were at 9:00 am but that was all we were told. Ends up after our facials our next appointment wasn't until noon. Any other spa I've been to, when you have a large number of services they typically provide you with lunch but not here. We had our facials, back up to our room, back down for massages, then sit and wait for manicures and pedicures. The facials were great, Melissa did mine and she was very good. She also did my massage and she was AMAZING. The waiting after our massages for our pedicures/manicures wasn't bad, it was just that no one communicated. I don't know if they thought we knew or what. Like I've said, communication was very poor. The one down side to the spa, or at least the one thing to be aware of, is that there are stairs down to the spa. It's not easily accessible.

We decided to grab snacks in the bar the second night and then found out that there was a different menu in there so we had dinner. I had the salmon and my husband had the fish and chips. We both enjoyed our meal.

Saturday we walked around Wakefield and grabbed things from the bakery and grocery store. Wakefield is a lovely community. The people are very friendly and welcoming. We found a new bakery on the main street that had just opened the week previous. The bakery is at the front of her home in a sunroom type place where you can see her baking from the street. She specializes in macaroons and THEY ARE DELICIOUS. We highly recommend the caramel ones.

Saturday afternoon we found the hot tub and spent some time out there. Getting to the hot tub was a bit challenging, you have to walk down through the spa to get to it (back to those stairs). The dangerous part of walking to the hot tub was watching for the snow that was falling off the roof.

Saturday evening We went to the bar at the Inn to enjoy the entertainment. I can't remember the gentleman's name but he was very good. High praise to the bartender who mixed a perfect drink and to Mara, she was a server in the restaurant and bar. She was always smiling, always friendly and very customer focused. She had suffered a steam burn on her wrist and you never would have known it from her behaviour. She was amazing.

Sunday brunch was absolutely delicious, definitely a highlight of the weekend. The layout for the buffet was really good, the variety was incredible and the service was great.

As I said in the beginning, we had high hopes/expectations for the Inn and Spa and they didn't quite meet what we were hoping for but it wasn't a deal breaker. We will go back again and give it another try. We did speak with a lot of people who were return guests and had a very positive experience. Hopefully that will be our experience too.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying in the main building if you go in winter because otherwise you'll have t...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meals with us notwithsatnding the steak issue. as well, i am pleased that you spa treatments met your needs.

On the subject of accessibility, I have a few comments. First, the new Eco River Lodge was designed to be wheelchair accessible at both levels. ( I would recommend that one uses the lower floor which makes for very easy access to the pool/grounds and original mill building.)

The Main mill building has an elevator and all rooms except the spa are accessible by it. In the summer months, we offer a "forest ramp" to the spa level from the north side of the hotel.

I acknowledge that communication, if not done properly, can be a frustration. We are using your letter as an example, in our staff training, of the importance of thorough communication. Finally, on the hot tub observations, it sounds like the new hot tub beside the pool would have been a better solution for your husband.

Thank you again. I look forward to meeting you both when you are next here.
Robert Milling
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our plan was to celebrate our anniversary with a little cross country skiing during the day, followed by a lovely dinner in the evening. Next day we hoped to ski again after breakfast. Morning came and the weather news announced -27 degrees below zero and icy conditions. That was the end of our ski weekend. So we went with plan B - chilling out in the lovely lounge beside an open fire eating tapas, drinking wine and chatting. A rest followed in a lovely upgraded room with a sitting area, original stone walls and a view overlooking the falls. We booked dinner for 7:30 pm and had an exquisite meal in the dining room. Strangely, the food when first served was not hot and had to be sent back. When it did arrive again, it was hot and just delicious. Too bad it didn't arrive that way to begin with as that delayed dinner by quite some time. Morning greeted us with breakfast served in the dining room with an outgoing and friendly waiter. This time the food (quiche) was obviously frozen and somewhat dried out and had to be unthawed and heated which took quite some time. Fresh quiche would have been more appreciated and had we known it wasn't freshly made, scrambled eggs would have been just fine. After checkout we went to the in house spa and had a couple massage - one of the best massages I've ever had (and I've had many). We left the Mill feeling relaxed, uplifted and ready to return home, if not somewhat reluctant to leave our enjoyable weekend. We look forward to returning to celebrate other special occasions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed for a business meeting. The food was amazing with excellent service at every meal. Very welcoming staff. The meeting room was well equipped, modern and clean. Wifi was available everywhere. A winter wonderland.

Room Tip: Fourth floor has half ceilings and has to be accessed by stairs from floor three.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ottawa
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hotel had a great historic feel to it. While I didn't see the new complex rooms, I think they are more modern. Our room in the main building was charming, spacious and very clean. The bed was pillow-top and comfy. We could hear the sounds of the waterfall we opened our window. Our room, 311, was the only one with a jetted tub PLUS a fireplace. I believe the newer rooms have a tub right in the bedroom, in front of a window, which would've been nice too. Either way, the website's pictures helped a lot in decision making.
The bathroom had the jet tub and stand up shower, with 2 windows for nice views of the falls.

The hotel is calm and quiet, nice for a romantic getaway. The restaurant was absolutely amazing. I've 'restauranted' around Ottawa and Montreal, and this dinner was just divine. We chose the regular menu, though we heard the Discovery menu is also awesome (that menu is 6 smaller courses, which allow you to sample more dishes on the menu at once. Each serving comes with a wine selection). I had the goat cheese app, lamb main and chocolate dessert...all amazingly done. My boyfriend had the bison app (reminded us of a fancy wonton soup), melt in your mouth steak and cheese mousse dessert. Portions are not huge, but well presented and filling enough when out together in this menu.
The breakfast was a tasty cold buffet plus hot menu. They have house-made honey and jams, SO tasty. We tried french toast, omelette and Benedicts from the menu, all amazing. Our package included these meals (minus alcohol bevs).

The staff, all of them, were genuinely friendly and helpful, and also bilingual. Some of the nicest hotel staff I've come in contact with, they seemed to enjoy highlighting the best of this hotel.

The bar looked rustic and nice, though we didn't check it out. We didn't book any spa services, so can't comment on that.

The hotel grounds were pretty. snow covered, serene. The falls and the river really add to its peaceful feel. They have 2 outdoor hot tubs, though one had broken jets. There's a summer pool too. Although we didn't check them out, apparently there are lots of local activities, like skiing and sleigh rides.

The area of Wakefield around the mill is tiny, but has cute cafes and restos. The lake looks pretty and is probably nice in the summertime.

It's a small hotel with country feel and fantastic food. Great for romance. I would love to check it out in the summer!

Room Tip: Room 311 has a jetted tub and fireplace. The rooms in the newer complex are more modern and sleek.
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Food and service is great here! Good variety on both lunch and dinner menus. Out of this world quality. No issues with the room we had; spacious room and comfortable bed. Spa massages were great but my only complaint would be the hot tub nearby is nothing special since the jets were barely working and it felt like there was too much chlorine

• Stayed February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
Brookstreet Hotel
#21 of 67 in Ottawa
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!