“Favourite”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Caledonia, Canada
“Favourite”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Wakefield Inn several times. It's close proximity to Ottawa and Gatineau Park were the main reasons that we stayed there the first time.

We found the little village of Wakefield to be a gorgeous setting for us, we travel to this region in the fall when the colours are near their peak. (You never know when you'll hit them or miss them)

The Inn has exceptional accommodations with waterfall views and fireplaces. I love leaving the window open to hear the rush of the waterfall at night and feel the warmth of the fireplace, very cozy.

The restaurant is an award winner and I don't doubt that for a minute. Our dinners there have been surely 4 or 5 star and the wait staff are very professional yet friendly. Something not always achieved at higher end places, IMO.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We enjoyed our three day visit at the Inn. We were on the main floor of the Eco Lodge and loved the view and the privacy. The bed and pillows were very comfy. Our only negative comment about the accommodation was the shower area. It is a huge tiled space with the shower head at one end and no place to hang a towel or place personal products within easy reach. We were looking forward to our meals based on the number of good T.A. reviews. Perhaps they changed the menu. The quality of ingredients was very good but we were challenged when making our dinner selections as we did not find the combination of ingredients to our taste. We are not difficult customers as we enjoy well prepared meals with good ingredients, we just are not as adventurous as the chef. At breakfast we felt there was far too much food on the plate and each morning it included a very unappetizing potato cake that looked thick and soggy. It is a shame to see so much food go to waste and seems counter productive to the "eco lodge".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is an excellent place for a romantic getaway. The rooms in the old mill section are just gorgeous. Can't speak for something they call the River Lodge. Seems newer. The Sunday Brunch (included in our package) was extraordinary and dinner the night before was four stars. The staff were pleasant courteous, and the Maitre D-Manager, I think his name is Marc, went out of his way to make sure we were well taken care of.

Room Tip: If you like the soothing sound of waterfalls, choose the waterfalls room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the dining services we offer. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Robert Milling
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Celebrated our 39th Wedding Anniversary at "Le Moulin" restaurant at The Wakefield Inn in Wakefield, Quebec ( 20 minutes north of Gatineau/Hull). This facility has a great location and "feel" about it as to rooms and entertainement/spa facility etc. A live musican plays in the lounge on weekends and overall ambiance is definitely note worthy. The historic building is in reality a restored Mill and the adjacent water fall is both soothing and very picturesque.

The dining room is where I want to spend my time reviewing. The chef is definitely adventurous and the use of local suppliers and produce is abundantly evident... all good. The Hosts and serving staff are attentive and knowledgeable of their varied Menu. Various options are provided from a three course Table d'hote ($55) to a 6 course "Surprise Discovery Menu"($75 - must be whole table to order). We chose the Table d'Hote option. First Course options went from Soup, Salad, Goat Cheese "Creme Brule" ; a compote with yam chips..(Very Good). Another option we tried was a unique two lamb plate ( in-house rillets ( too much cumin for my taste) and a very tasty apricot Tartar ( raw & spiced well).
Other options were Sardine confit, Black Cod Gravalax and a Foie Gras Macaron. AS I SAID...ORIGINAL STUFF!!

The Main Courses were again varied. Vegetarian option ( Cannelloni); Pickerel Fillet; Trout, Lobster, Shrimp medley with veggies and assorted sauces (Trout was a little "Fishy"; Sweetbreads (usually my favourite were undercooked and mushy) & Sea Scallops (to die for); Rabbit Saddle (Madiera Sauce & Figs); Guinea Fowl ( celeric/hazlenut gratin with Cat tails .. could be the sleeper); Beef Tenderloin (three goat cheezes and a cognac sauce) was a hit with my daughters. AS YOU CAN SEE.... ADVENTUROUS AND VARIED ... just not the best night for the cooking and overall tastes. Presentations were artistic, serving time was great and food arrived hot. Restaurant guests were noisy and standing/drinking behind us... but... once we asked for them to be moved...host was on it immediately. Wines wer varied and reasonably priced for a decent bottle.

Desserts were pretty much as expected, Creme Brulee ( nothing special); Choclate Cake (raspberry coulis); Bavarois ( my favourite..Cocanut Milk Flan with currant jelly, lemon marmalade and blood orange foam..yum/yum.); Passion Fruit Mousse (pistacio & litchis..so/so); Sorbets; and the traditional Cheese Tray.

Overall... a little disappointed with the way the Sweetbreads and Trout were cooked. The Lamb Rillet was overpowering .... BUT ... this restaurant has great possibilities with a few minor changes. I'll give it another chance

Garnett, Ottawa, Canada

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank GarnettOttawa_Canada
Ottawa
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went to the Wakefield Mill Inn for the second time this year; this time for for dinner with my in-laws.

The setting is amazing with the small river and the waterfall. We were seated in the solarium with a nice view of the surroundings. Our table was next to the door leading to the terasse which was sometimes annoying as the waiters were going back and forth and the door kept being opened and closed.

As when we went there first, the meal was absolutely awesome; each plate was beautifully presented and its contents were extremely tasty. The chef is certainly adventurous with flavours and some combinations are quite interesting. Around the table, we chose a wide variety of fares and everyone was really happy with their choices. The wine list is also quite interesting and provides a wide range of choices in a wide range of prices.

Service was very good although not quite as attentive as one would expect from this category of restaurant. For example, we had to remind them continuously of whom had carbonated water or flat water.

All in all it was a great dinner and I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant.

Room Tip: There is a 6 course discovery menu that could be quite interesting if everyone around the table is w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RLarok
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My husband and I decided to have a romantic dinner at the Wakefield Inn for our one year anniversary. Overall, we had an unpleasant experience.We arrived for our 8pm reservations.

Wakefield Mill did not meet our expectation. We were expecting a true fine dinning experience. However the servers were not attentive, the atmosphere was not anything special. It lacked a lot small things that would have enhanced the experience. eg real candles, quality of silverware.

The bread served before the meal was nearly stale and tasted like it came from a cheap grocery store. The main course of the meal was tasteful but not worth the price paid. I had lobster, shrimp and trout. The lobster was not flavourful, 1 medium(at best) size of shrimp and trout, which was extremely good. My husband ordered the beef, he did not even receive a proper steak knife.

Desserts were good. Extremely pricey for the size.

Overall, the meal itself was good but it did not meet our expectations. I would not have dinner there again - wasn't worth $150+. I could get better meals for less money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ddmelcer
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I visit the Ottawa area often because my daughter lives there and decided to go somewhere different than the downtown Ottawa Hotels. I came across the Wakefield in on the Inns of Ontario Site and decided to book the two day package with the 6 course tasting menu and wine pairings. We invited my daughter and her boyfriend to come to dinner with us.

The meal was lovely? The food and wine pairings were fantastic. There were scallops, perch, lamb and fois gros. It was delicious and the wine pairings were perfect, I happened to mention that I was not a fan of ice wine and for the desert course the server brought a lovely raspberry apertif. All in all I was impressed with the meal.

Our room was in the mill building which is decorated in a traditional country design. There is a new building with very modern decoration and furnishing. I was quite happy with our room but think I will book on on the river side should I return to the inn in future so that I do not hear the parking lot noise in the morning. Also, I did find the air conditioning unit quite loud during the night but on the second night we openede This is a likely prospect because they have access the cross country skiing trails of Gatineau Park.

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. I would recommended the inn to anyone

Room Tip: The solarium is lovely for a meal.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hotel V
#6 of 25 in Gatineau
Hilton Lac-Leamy
#1 of 25 in Gatineau
Alpengruss Motel
#2 of 3 in Wakefield
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!