“Supper”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Richmond
“Supper”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Supper was well presented, and Marc was a great waiter, both my wife and I took the Lobster, Trout, Shrimp trio, we were both disappointed that it came with one shrimp, a very small piece of trout , a piece of lobster tail, and that was all that was on the plate, no vegetables or rice at all.
Vegetables would have made it perfect, we left the table still very hungry.

Regards

Fraser Barrie

Room Tip: It was great to have a room by the waterFalls, easy to sleep at night listening to it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fraser B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I visited the Mill for our first wedding anniversary. We opted for the Gatineau Park Getaway (1 night stay, dinner, and brunch) and we were very happy with our stay. We were greeted by Francois at the front desk, who was very friendly and welcoming.

We chose a River Room in the new Eco Lodge, which was clean and modern. Our only complaint was that this building does not have good sound buffering between rooms and between the bathroom/bedroom. Otherwise, we enjoyed the lovely patio attached to our room that overlooks the river. The rooms on the second floor of the lodge do not have patios/balconies, so if you would like one, I would recommend asking for a room on the lower level. We also took advantage of the pool and hot tub area, which was very clean and a great spot to relax.

We were a little disappointed by our table at the fine dining restaurant. It felt rather stuck in the middle of the room, and initially the lights were quite bright above us. Our server, Carole, quickly noticed this and turned them down, which was much appreciated. Carole was a wonderful server, very polite and attentive. We had the table d'hote menu and it was plenty of food. The meal was very good, but dessert was the highlight. We really enjoyed the Sunday brunch as well, although we were anticipating a sit-down menu and saw that it was instead a buffet. However, there were many options to choose from and it was overall quite good.

In general, we really enjoyed our time at the Mill, and I would certainly recommend it to someone else looking for a weekend getaway. It is quite pricey though and we felt that a few more perks could be added to make it worth the cost. Coffee is $6/cup in your room (yikes!) and brunch would be more special if it was a sit-down menu. Our dinner also did not include any drinks so be aware that they (even non-alcoholic) will be added to your tab.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower level of the Eco Lodge have patios. The Eco Lodge is also a new build and more mo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MKAinsworth
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I am glad that you had the opportunity to use our new pool and hot tub facilities. I would recommend that guests also take advantage of the original hot tub at the base of the falls as well as the natural river pool...especially on the hot days of summer. I am a bit confused about your comment on six dollar coffee. Each room has complimentary coffee. I will check and see if there could be some confusion with regards to the purchase of in-room coffee mugs. In terms of your sit down brunch suggestion, we will likely not be changing the expanded buffet format we offer. It is quite popular and has become a signature feature of the hotel. However, we do offer a Sit-down menu for breakfast every other day of the week which, I agree, is quite lovely.
Again, thank for taking the time to write.
Canada, Ottawa
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Wakefield Mill for our wedding anniversary. A 2 night weekend getaway(long weekend of May) and chose the most expensive room: the River Grand. We loved the room, clean(except for the coffee mugs), comfortable mattress, plenty of pillows, soft linen and huge patio doors. Enjoyed the soaker tub.

The falls, scenery and inn are breathtaking. Very relaxing. Attention could be given at the Heron bar and restrooms where dead flaky flowers were on display.

On our first day, we enjoyed our dinner at the Heron bar and lounge(not included in our package) and had very nice, attentive and courteous waitress: Pierre-Anne. She spent 10min and toured the lounge with us and gave us a brief history of the mill. We were surprise to see that the prices to eat the Heron lounge are very much adequate.

The Sunday brunch was very good. Lots to choose from. The second day we walked to the village. Had a snack at a bistro and did some window shopping. We then came back to the mill and enjoyed the pool at a cool 70C. Refreshing as it was extremely hot day. Things turned sour then. Service at the lounge bar was poor. The bartender/waitress was inattentive and had no manners. We found her to be a bit rude with other guests. Our package included dinner at the restaurant downstairs (fine dining). Service and presentation were excellent, however we did not like our meals. We are not fucy eaters and enjoy fine dining. We headed back upstairs to the lounge for a night cap and same inattentive bartender/waitress was there. We sat at the bar and she asked if we had forgotten something. Argh... really!

For the overall package we chose, we found the prices a bit high as stated by other viewers. If you want to stay in the Eco River building, I would highly recommend that you choose the top floor (600 series) rooms. On our 2 night stay, we could hear very well all foot steps (a bit echo due to the hard wood floors), doors, 2nd night kids running and dog barking. It finally ended by 1:00am.

Room Tip: For the Eco River building, choose top floor (600 series).
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colyjob
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to visit us for your recent anniversary. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our new Heron Room menu and the Sunday Brunch. Concerning your service comments, I have spoken to our restaurant manager and the matter will be addressed. Thank you also for your comment about the flowers. We are very pleased with the amount of fresh flowers we are able to display in public areas. Your comments serves as a perfect reminder to remove them after their prime.
Thank you.
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It's always a pleasure to stay and visit this inn. My company goes regularly for work functions and it has such charming character and excellent service. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The elevator only goes as high as the third floor, so make sure they don't put you on the fourth...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Julia K
Thewakefieldmill, Owner at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for your kind recommendation. I am very pleased to hear that we are able the meet the needs of your company.

As you may be aware, we have recently opened our newest conference room - the Lester B. Pearson room - named in honor of the late former Prime Minister who is buried in the Maclaren Cemetary behind the Inn.
Thanks again for your Comments. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Innkeeper/General Manager
Toronto
Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

The Wakefield Inn is in a beautiful location on the falls in Wakefield and with it's history and ambience it could be a real jewel. I visited with my wife and my brother and sister in law for a long weekend and we were expecting something of a higher level based on the price.
My wife and I travel extensively internationally so we have seen many hotels in our travels.
The building is clean but showing wear. The elevator was broken, no problem these things happen but when forced to use the back stairs to go to the room the filthy carpets became evident and this was my first impression.

We had an expensive room with a falls view. The rooms are OK but not matching the price.
Arborite countertops are so yesterday and dark duvet covers do not give the impression od clean. Bedding and pillows were Red Roof quality. There was no bottled water in the room the first night so I guess someone forgot? I went to the lobby to asks for water and no one was there. Because the elevator was down, I found myself locked in the lobby - a bit of a comedy of errors. After a call to the innkeeper they let me out of the cage but in the end they were out of water. Arrrrrrgggggg

Great breakfast buffet but pricey and I heard the restaurant was good but we opted for dinner at the village instead.

Great potential - just needs some TLC and more thought towards the needs of the guest

The bar was closed at 10:55 on a Friday night after we returned from dinner and we had to beg for someone to open up so we could have a nightcap.
The lobby is empty at night and I

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Wyeth
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I do apologize about the elevator. It is repaired. I am pleased that your breakfast was enjoyable. As to price, our breakfast costs $15 and Sunday brunch is $30. We seek extensive feedback on a price/value basis from guests and we feel it is appropriate. I have spoken to the respective managers about your comments regarding water and opening hours for the bar. Our bedding upgrades have just been selected and will be installed in the coming weeks. Thank you again for your feedback.
Robert Milling.
Innkeeper/General Manager
Ottawa
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We stayed here on the occasion of my 40th Birthday. We booked a pricey room, with a river view and Breakfast included.

First of all, The Wakfield Mill is a beautiful, historic building in a gorgeous location in a charming town. We love Wakefield and always enjoying visiting. My first impression of the new building , where we were staying, was that it looked like a "bunker". I didn't think it fit at all with the original building. However, our room was very nice with a modern decor and big bathtub in the main area.

We enjoyed the outoor hot tub and pool area, which were both kept very clean. We did not have an spa treatments.

We chose to eat dinner outside of the hotel, at Chez Eric in the town, which was amazing. the dinner menu at the hotel did not appeal to us, but we did very much enjoy our brunch on Sunday. I would agree with a previous reviewer that the road leading up the hotel is dark without a seperate pedestrian walkway and i would not have felt safe walking at night.

My only real criticism would be the price. I did feel it was overpriced, and, although I was pleased with our visit, I would not stay again based on this fact alone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Wakefieldmillinn, General Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Guest, we appreciate you choosing the Mill for your recent stay and we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I apologize if you didn't find the Mill or your stay offered an according value for money. The other building you are referring to is our L.E.E.D registered environmental Eco River Lodge section, which accommodate modern amenities and a very different style then the traditional Mill area. Kind regards.
Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2012

It is expensive but worth it.

I did not stay at the hotel that time only dined but didn't let me unselect.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest, we thank you for dining in our restaurant and we appreciate your comments. We also look forward to you spending a night or week-end with us in the future. Kind regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
Brookstreet Hotel
#17 of 67 in Ottawa
Byward Market Area
Andaz Ottawa Byward Market

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!