“Great atmosphere and service”

Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wakefield
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Purchased the Gatineau Park Getaway package (includes dinner, room and breakfast). The food and room (we stayed in the new building) were amazing. We also purchased two one hour massages which were okay. Everything was expensive but very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shane L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed September 30, 2011

This was a first visit. Our goal was a nice massage, followed by some time in the hot tub and a great dinner.
The location is pretty easy to fine and the staff were courteous, friendly and professional.
The meal was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We had the 2 nights with breakfast and dinner. We arrived as their 10th anniversary was finishing but check in was quick and we were able to enjoy free beer and wine as we checked out their new section. Our room was on the second floor and looked over the falls & with the window open you could here it. The food and service was excellent. We were the only people in the hot tube and new heated salt water pool on Sept.20, a beautiful sunny day, 20C. It was a perfect 2 days and no hickups. It would have been a 5 star but the bathroom needs some attention, better cleaning and scratches touched up.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We decided to celebrate spring and my new hip with a stay at the Wakefield Mill. We stayed for two nights. As many of the comments, the price of the stay does not match the level of the "so called" luxury room. We also had the "waterfall" room: a very basic room with not even a proper reading lamp. The furniture is derelict and almost falling apart, no not antique! The television did not work so we ended up listening to the news on the radio. We had to go back and forth to the reception to exchange the remote control ... to no avail, it never worked.
The food was delicious, but the first night, even if we had reserved 2 months before, our table was not ready before 9 o'clock. They gave us an extra dessert, but by that time I was so tired I hardly touched it. The included breakfast is so so. There is a very good bakery almost next to the hotel, but we were served Costco croissants and sliced bread toasts.
We will not go back to sleep there but might try their lunch since we live in Ottawa. They have a good wine list.

Room Tip: Considering we choose the best room, I hate to think what the ordinary look like!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MietMo
Wakefieldmillinn, General Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Dear MietMo, Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not to your anticipation and we would like to apologize. I am disappointed to hear of the issues with your television and remote control issues, this should have not been an issue as we have our staff review items prior to the guest arrival. I would like to state as well that the Mill has two distinct room accommodations, the heritage and cozy section, and our new modern and contemporary Eco River Lodge section, both are very different in their setting and amenities. I am pleased to hear that your enjoyed your dining experience, in reference to breakfast, we do not serve Costco croissants as you mention. We hope you will return in the near future and once again we apologize that your stay was not to your satisfaction. Best regards, L. Major

Reviewed August 30, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We figured we'd go all out and get the Waterfalls View Upgrade room. When we checked in, the service was GREAT, then we got up to our room, and were less than impressed. The website clearly states that the Falls View Upgrade room has "more luxurious and spacious suites in which you can enjoy a Jacuzzi, romantic fireplace, and king-sized bed". We had a jacuzzi, a small queen, NO fireplace, and if that room was considered spacious, I'd hate to see how small the others are...oh, and if you wanted to twist your neck enough, you could see the falls! We advised the front desk that the description of the room on the internet was not that of our room. They offered for us to stay in their new eco-river lodge instead...they showed us inside, and the floors were filthy, the fireplace (more like the size of a lantern) and TV were not hooked up yet, there was a small tub (no jacuzzi), no view of the falls and frankly it did not have the rustic feel that we were there for. We decided to stay in the less than impressive first room, and were not offered anything as compensation for the deceiving description on the website. They could possibly market the room as "waterfall sound" as we slept a whole 3 hours due to the noise from the falls that sounded like an industrial fan was in our room! When we checked out the next morning, the staff was different, and very unfriendly. She did not even ask us how our stay was...we barely got a hello, but rather "how much do you still owe?". In the end, I decided to voice my opinion, and was not even offered an apology, but rather, she insisted that the website stated that the waterfalls room upgrade had 1, 2 or 3 or the above amenitites mentioned. You would think that this would result in a price difference, so we still question if room 309 is ACTUALLY a Waterfalls View Upgrade...or just one that could "pass" as one in the event of overbookings. Frustrated, I felt no more need to argue as this was clearly going nowhere...I just want people to know that I copy & pasted the description I posted above, and this is my experience. Definitely not worth $260...and after the negative experience with the front desk on the morning of Aug. 29th, we will never be going back!

Room Tip: Definitely DO NOT spend the extra money to upgrade to a
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ashley T
Wakefieldmillinn, General Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2011

Dear Ashley T, Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize if your stay and experience was not to your expectations. With that said I would like to clarify some comments mentioned. Our Inn offers a range of different accommodations with different amenities. In addition, I find it fairly unlikely that our front desk would not properly greet you and simply ask about a balance own, and to be honest I am not convinced. Commenting on the floors being "Filthy" in the new Eco River Lodge is completely false and somewhat, simply not possible. The rooms have beautiful brand new maple hardwood floors and have only been open a couple of weeks. In addition, the flat screen televisions are installed and have been since the beginning with our DVD players, however we are in the process of installing digital cable television. Once again we thank you for your comments. Best regards, L. Major

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We are so busy these days the last thing we thought of was ourselves but we heard such great things about this place we booked it on a Thursday evening for a Saturday night stay (it typically costs a little more) The town has some charm! the Mill has old world charm but the rooms sure are dated! The service and food was exceptional and the place was packed. It was so romantic with a wedding taking place. It was then time to retreat to relax after a hike in the near by trails and a wonderful meal. (well 2AM was when the band stopped playing the music and all this splendor changed! I did not sleep until well past 2 AM and was not too impressed. When I was getting ready to leave the cleaning lady asked how my stay was. I told her I wish I just stayed for the meal and left as It was very irritating that the hotel knew of this event but did not inform us of the fact that we would not be able to rest when the PARTY started. They were not to forthcoming and when all other 6 guests that went through that complained there was no empathy just an apology but then then one of the employees gave us the $50 discount for Noise! it is actually a field on their billing system. I always give people another shot and I am staying there this weekend with some great friends lets hope there new facility lives up to the great things I expected from them first time there.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Wakefieldmillinn, General Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Dear Feddie O,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and choose us for your recent anniversary. Firstly, a sincere apology for the disturbance in noise on your recent stay as I indeed was made privy to it and we are truly sorry. This is not at all customary and this was an exceptional case. I will have our Guest Services Manager contact you so we may offer you some compensation for a future visit. Once again, a sincere apology and we look forward to having you return and enjoy a pleasant stay as you anticipated. Kind regards, L. Major

Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at the Wakefield Mill for one night, staying in the new (and much nicer) Eco River Lodge. When I woke up in the morning, I had no water. Nothing out of the taps in the sink and nothing out of the shower. I called the front desk right away, and the lady there simply said she would get maintenance on it. There was no apology, and no suggestion of an alternate plan. After waiting 20 minutes for maintenance, I gave up waiting for my water, packed up my things, and used the main public bathroom off reception to wash my face and brush my teeth. On my way in, I complained at reception, suggesting they comp me the two drinks I had had at the bar the night before. They did this, but still offered no apology, nor gave me a key to another room where I might have had a quick shower. I am appalled at their lack of customer service and suggest they look at training their staff appropriately if they are to continue to list themselves as a four star 'luxury' hotel. As well, the meals were lackluster, and I believe my eggs at breakfast were from a mix.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank kh821
Wakefieldmillinn, General Manager at Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. We are truly sorry for the lack of water in your room, our brand new pump was temporarily not working but was repaired. I am surprised to hear the lack of apology from our staff as we pride ourselves on great quality customer service. I will bring up your comments to our staff personally and once again apologize for the issues. We truly hope that you will have the opportunity to return in the near future. Pertaining to your meal in our dining room, I would like to mention that we use quality natural products, and no type of "egg" mix was used or served. Kind regards, L. Major

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wakefield
Hilton Lac-Leamy
#7 of 26 in Gatineau
The Metcalfe Hotel
The Metcalfe Hotel
#20 of 68 in Ottawa

Been to Moulin Wakefield Mill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!