“Great food and friendly service”
Review of The Village House

The Village House
Ranked #1 of 34 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rustic charm in the heart of Wakefield Village. We are a small 26 seat restaurant, with an outdoor patio that seats another 20. Our restaurant serves upscale comfort food, great wines and local brews. All while dining with views of the Gatineau River and hills.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our group of eight were impressed with the quality of the food and the friendliness of the service. We definitely would return

swanonthemountain, Owner at The Village House, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

So glad your group enjoyed your experience with us. Hope you can visit Wakefield again soon!

There are newer reviews for The Village House

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I went for our 2nd time to The Village house. This time we sat inside since it was a little cold outside. Very cute and cozy restaurant. The best part is the open kitchen, which I found very entertaining to watch the cooks at work.
Service was once again without a flaw. Quick, courteous and very friendly.
The best thing about this place is the food.
For starters we once again had the shrimp and the pig cheeks. I could eat these everyday.
This time my wife tried the chicken. I said "your having chicken! anyone can make chicken." Well The village house makes it better. The most moist chicken I have ever tasked.
I had the Beef short rib. This I have to say is one of the best meals I have ever had. Fall off the bone beef with extrordinary flavor.
Pls leave some room for the tart. OMG it is so good.
This place is definitely worth the trip out to Wakefield, again and again and again.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We greatly appreciate all your kind words and repeat business. Our open kitchen, delicious food and friendly service is all part of the package that we wish to deliver to our clients and its so nice to hear when all that provides customers like yourselves with a great dining experience. Can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I had supper here. The restaurant is modest on the inside and outside but comfortable and attractive enough. It has a nice location overlooking the river on the other side of the road but which can be busy with cars whizzing by. There was a nice animated atmosphere, perhaps partly due to the busy open kitchen in one of the two rooms with tables. We were served well and quickly by one of the owners (a young couple, she is a Wakefield girl). The braised herb and maple syrup beef ($23) was incredibly excellent. The chilled tomato soup ($8) very good and the creme brule for dessert ($8) was also excellent.

My rankling complaint was with the "local tomato salad and greens" which albeit tasty amounted to the equivalent of one medium sized tomato, a small piece of toasted bread and not more than 2-3 tablespoons of greens for $12. Beautifully presented but, in my opinion, extremely overpriced.

That aside, the service, food and value for money was very good.

thevillagehouse759, Owner at The Village House, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the food, service and open kitchen concept. I'm sorry you felt our local tomato dish was not worth it's price. We pride ourselves in using good quality local & organic products when we can which can also come at a higher price tag. Also involved in that dish are some pricer ingredients like marianted bocconcini cheese, espresso balsalmic imported for italy, truffle oil, in house homemade foccacia, Piave ( an italian sheep's milk cheese) and a local organic basil puree. I can see why to the naked eye it might seem like a simple dish but it's all those extra ingredients are what make the appetizer so delicious and call for the price that goes with it. We take value in our customers feedback and a huge pride in the food we serve, and products we use in our kitchen. We hope you will return to try more of our delicios menu.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I went here to celebrate his birthday last year, and we have been back multiple times since. The service is impeccable, the food is amazingly delicious and served in portions that are not overwhelming so that we are able to have dessert every time! It is an amazingly well-run restaurant, with a gorgeous little patio on the side for warmer nights. The food is seriously worth the drive - a must go!!

Thank you so much for your kind words and repeat visits. We are always so pleased to have the support of the locals and reapeat customers are what make this business so enjoyable! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Finally had dinner here after friends' recommendations and TA reviews. We were warmly greeted and seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen as we often like to do - watch the action going on in there! Very cute little spot - comfortable and a charm of its own. Sarah was friendly, courteous and efficient and we really enjoyed chatting with both her and her excellent chef hubby Mike. We shared the seared tuna appetizer (BC albacore tuna, shoot & radish salad, truffle vinaigrette, shaved Piave, crispy turnip) which was delicious as we watched Chef Mike prepare meals for other patrons while deciding what to have. I opted for the braised beef short rib served atop papradelle & veggies and braising jus. What "upscale comfort food" it was indeed! Dave had the Le Coprin mushroom, goats cheese & onion fritters, curry cucumber dressing, and one of the best wild rice salads we've had! They also have a nice little wine list along with a couple of nice beers and a few cocktails and we had to try the "Roto" - espresso with vodka and kahlua! Great way to end off our meal and very pleasant evening! We'll definitely come back to sample some of the other meal offerings!

Ahh yes the bar seats... A magic way to spend an evening at The Village House with the full show only steps away. Most of our customers will agree they are the best seats in the house. So glad you enjoyed your meals and the whole open kitchen concept. Hope to see you both again soon and thanks for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!