“So yummy!”

Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Wakefield
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rustic charm in the heart of Wakefield Village. We are a small 26 seat restaurant, with an outdoor patio that seats another 20. Our restaurant serves upscale comfort food, great wines and local brews. All while dining with views of the Gatineau River and hills.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Excellent meal while staying up in Wakefield for the evening. You must try the poutine appetizer! I also have a gluten intolerance and they were greatly accomodating to my needs.

thevillagehouse759, Owner at The Village House, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you so much for the feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience and can't wait to have you back again!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We loved it. My table companions were wonderful and we enjoyed an amazing meal. We had the Thanksgiving dinner, braised short ribs, and Village Poutine, along with the beet salad.

Small Plate Sundays is a new format for us where we do appetizers, 3 chefs features and mini mains from 2 - 9pm. So we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed the concept along with the delicious food. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a few times and have been blown away each time. Not by just the food, but also by the atmosphere and Sarah's human skills.
The food, combined with hostess Sarah's fantastic friendly and knowledgeable service and Mike's culinary theatrics, make for a totally unique and awesome dining experience.

Thanks so much for your support and loyalty we are blessed with great regualrs and we can't wait till your next visit!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to go for a delicious dinner and this was even better! The food is the best eating experience you will ever have! The chef Mike, does such a great job of creating and combining foods, tastes and textures. I have never had a restaurant meal this good.
We were thankful that there was a reservation made for us, because it filled up fast. Our server was friendly and helpful, she helped us make just the right choices.
Really it feels liked should be saying so much more but words will not do this place justice.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It is so great to hear how much the client appreciates all the hard work gone into Chef Mikes' food. He truley loves what he does and I'm glad it shows in the food we put out here at The Village House! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

First of all, you could totally blow by this place unless you slow down and smell the roses. I happened to notice it walking through town (me and my girlfriend stayed at the Mill for a few nights) and we were ready for something new after an unimpressive dinner at the Mill the night before. I've eaten in many places all over the country (East and West) and also in France, Spain, Belgium...this place rivals if not makes a mockery of many of the "high end" restaurants I've been in. It's menu is fresh and seasonal and adapts to follow that standard wherever possible and it's not outrageously priced (although it could certainly get away with it).The only slightly comparable meal I had was in a tiny village in France.

Our server (unfortunately, I can't remember her name - Sara?) was fantastic. Very friendly, offered suggestions and was full of useful information. If you are a real foodie you'll love this place but if not it seems as though the staff will be there to guide you every step of the way. I always want to try something new and the confit pig cheek with home made gnocchi had my name all over it. It was served with some sort of reduced sauce (can't remember what it was exactly) but by GOD it worked well. Layers of flavour in this dish and the pig cheek has got to be one of the most tender parts of the pig; especially when cooked in it's own fat *shivers*. My gf had the salad which was whatever was in season and the dressing was mind blowing.

We both had the braised and smoked pork ribs with some amazing potato salad and something else incredible on the side. They were also amazing. Fall off the bone, lots of flavour without being over smoked (hate that) and not over salty.....as well as desert (some sort of chocolate cake with bacon somehow integrated). Kudos whenever someone can pull that off tastefully like they did here. As you may be able to tell the dinner left us speechless. We wanted to get a bottle of wine but not break the bank. She recommended a BC (Okanagan) white that was nice and dry (a tiny bit sweet but it was actually very nice) for a very good price and you would enjoy it even if your a bone dry French white fan like me. We also had this really good gin drink to start full of fresh fruit!

All in all this was an amazing experience. Highly recommend it and will definately be back to explore this awesome menu the next chance I get! Thanks for a great experience Maison du Village and keep up the great work!

thevillagehouse759, Owner at The Village House, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2012

Wow, thank you so much. It means the world to us that you took the time to write such a passionate review. You obviously adore food and wine and really understood the experience we strive to deliver. My husband the chef puts so much heart and soul and long hours into his food and it's wonderful to hear that it is appreciated. Can't wait to have you back!
Sarah