“If you don't love art, there are better things to see.”

Louisiana Museum of Modern Art
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Humlebaek
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Louisiana Museum of Modern Art collection focuses on contemporary works from 1945 to the present. Works by Pablo Picasso, Jean Dubuffet and Louise Bourgeois are part of the permanent exhibition at this white villa named Louise, after the first (and second and third) wife of the man who commissioned the building.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Okay, I'm not the arty type. I can appreciate some art but by and large, a lot of it is lost on me and I often wonder why some things called art couldn't be drawn or painted by a child.

I went to this museum because of the rave reviews on TA. I was disappointed. If I had my time again I think I would have taken the ferry from Helsingor (just up the road where the Kronborg castle is located - and a much more interesting attraction in my opinion) to Helsingborg, Sweden and then caught the train back to Copenhagen via Malmo and the Oresund bridge.

The best thing about the museum for me was the actual building and location. It was a dream. Other than that, there was not much to say. A huge exhibition of Andy Warhol's stuff and then two floors of stuff for sale. Sorry art lovers, boring!

Even to get there was a mission, took the train to Humlebaek and then it's a 15 minute walk to the museum. Nah, I'd give this a miss unless you really appreciate art.

Here's a useful tip: If you are going, it is actually better value for money to buy a Copenhagen Card from Central Station which gives you unlimited travel on Danish public transport and entrance to a number of attractions including this museum.

1  Thank Topenda

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Louisiana is uniquely situated seaside and surrounded by a beautiful residential community. It's a wonderful respite from Copenhagen even if you don't really care for modern art. Plan to eat a meal in the wonderful resturant and come prepared to shop. The two-level museum store is an ideal place to buy gifts for those back home or yourself. The train is best and the walk is only fifteen minutes. I was reluctant to visit, but am glad I did. Enjoy!!!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Enjoyed every minute of the current self-portrait show. Illuminating is the word.... Good space for kids to get creative, too, and great cafe and shop. Building itself amazing... What more can I say?

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This modern museum seems to grow out of the landscape at the edge of the Oresund Sound. The Louisiana houses more than 3,000 works in its permanent collection, one of the largest in Scandinavia. Post 1945 artists such as Picasso, Warhol, Hockney, Bourgeois, Klein, Dubuffet, and Moore attract visitors from all over Europe. The collection of works in this museum can astound, evoke a smile, or just surprise you with its thoughtful presentations. We started with Pink Caviar, an important collection of works and genres acquired by the museum over the last 50 years. We enjoyed exploring Five Houses, a sketch-like representation of Nordic architecture. The project asked architects from five Nordic countries to each build a simple replica of a house relating what it means to be Nordic generally and how it relates to the regional identity of the architects. We had fun walking into the architectural displays before realizing lunch was nearby.
Although the museum was quite amazing with its important international contemporary works of art as well as its fascinating exhibition of Nordic culture and architecture, I may have been even more impressed by one of the best Danish Smorebords ever. Their 119 kroner buffet was worth it's weight in gold. I have to list the menu here: herring with lime, large Greek capers and sour cream, small shrimps with asparagus cream, baked lemon and pea shoots, organic tomatoes with spring onions and orange syrup, spelt kernels with summer cabbage and chives, mixed salad greens with toasted nuts, new parsnips baked with chervil oil, small vegetable quiches, cucumber soup with roasted wheat kernels, chicken with watercress and lemon sauce, new potatoes rotated in pimento oil, absolutely heavenly home baked brown nut bread with rosemary. This meal will haunt my dreams.
The Sculpture Park is an outdoor extension of the museum featuring large impressive works by artists such as Moore, Miro and Calder dramatically positioned overlooking Oresund Sound. The museum's restaurant overlooks the sound as well and if you are lucky (we were not since it was packed with visitors) you might find a table outside with the beautiful sculptures and the sound beyond. But we did not complain, instead we took some time to walk off our fabulous lunch to tour the Sculpture Park before leaving for the train back to Copenhagen. When it was time to leave the museum Lo recommended we take the longer walk by the sea for an opportunity to see some lovely seaside homes and gardens. We were glad we did because the homes and seaside gardens were lovely and it gave us another opportunity to see a different landscape from the one we saw on our way in to the museum.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Using our Copenhagen card we took the train north for about an hour and then a short walk took us to the entrance of this fabulous Museum of Modern Art - entry was also included in our Copenhagen card. The Self Portrait exhibition was very well curated and easy to view - several groups of young school children were visiting, sketching in front of a chosen artist - was great to see the space so well utilized. The grounds and sculpture park are stunning as well as the actual building which fits so well into the landscape. The cafe has beautiful views of the sea and whilst we only had a tea/coffee/pastry we saw a lot of people having the smorgasbord lunch - the range of food presented was plentiful and again, it was a very reasonable price. The shop is too tempting - we didn't leave without several purchases to remind us of our holiday.