All reviews mother rooftop host breakfast island
Selected filters
Reviewed December 2, 2017

Stayed here last September for three nights. I could write a full review but there is no need as others have been here before me and I can only endorse their high praise for the accommodation, the hospitality, friendliness and all-round charm of Renn and the breakfast: fresh, homemade and delicious (see photo). For more culinary treats, I recommend the restaurant 10 mins from Renn’s on road 190 near the intersection with the 390 (ask Renn for details!). Otherwise enjoy the coast, beaches and snorkelling and don’t fail to admire the Irabu-ohashi bridge, its different aspects and the ever-changing views and colours around it.

Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed July 22, 2017

Though I live in Asia, I have never written any review on an Asian establishment. Nothing seemed to have been interesting enough to write about. However, this one is special... I simply can't get it out of my mind, even two weeks after we left Renn's paradise (yes! between my husband and I, we now call it paradise!) All the wonderful comments given before were correct. The room was spacious, spotless clean; the breakfast Renn's mother prepared was delicious, sumptuous and different every morning, made from local ingredients. We had so much for breakfast that we had to skip our lunches (but not ice cream :-))! Renn is a soft-spoken and courteous Japanese of Kyushu origin who wants to make sure that we visit the best places and eats the best food around. He and his family lives on the same premises but in a separate building linked to the ryokan. We only stayed for 3 nights (which was far too few) and we intend to come back very soon! Advice for fellow travelers: make good dinner plans, during peak season, tables sell like hot cakes. Some restaurants also have irregular holidays. Renting a car is necessary to go around. Renn's place is quite difficult to access even with the car navigation system. We labeled google map with the coordinates 24.728344, 125.359221 and could easily find the place on our own.

Date of stay: July 2017
1  Thank Patty L
Reviewed August 25, 2016

We could not have wished for any better! Ren is a delightful host who not only speaks excellent English but is keen that you have the most wonderful stay on this beautiful island. He will recommend restaurants and beaches and has a genuine interest in making your stay memorable. The accommodation itself is elegant and beautiful. Every evening we went onto the rooftop and watched the stars - with Sake in hand! And of course you cannot complete a review without mentioning the wonderful breakfasts his mum creates - little pieces of art. Delicious art!
On the last day, just as we were leaving my husband realised that he had lost his watch, a present from his mother. We mentioned it to Ren, just in case he would find it somewhere. We did not think it likely as we were unsure where my husband had lost it. Three hours later Ren tracked us down at the airport with my husband's watch. Since, as it turned out, he had lost it somewhere in the garden, Ren and his mum must have thoroughly searched the grounds for it. What a wonderful family, thank you so much!

Room tip: The three rooms are identical and the view is wonderful from each room.
Date of stay: June 2016
1  Thank Renate S
Reviewed July 31, 2016

Very nice rooms, owner Mr Renn helping with everything from suggesting beaches and other places to visit and restaurant selections.
Outstanding breakfast by his mother being a highly skilled chef in my opinion.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed December 15, 2015

Renn is an amazing B&B host, and I recommend him to anyone who wants to visit Miyakojima, especially if you do not speak Japanese! He will spend a lot of time chatting and helping you plan your days, recommending beaches and restaurants. We have stayed with him twice now (2013 and 2015) with plans to return in the future. Actually, he made our first trip so wonderful that we went back to Miyakojima only when we could stay at his B&B again.

The 3 rooms are lovely and fully functional with a small balcony and access to the rooftop lounge area. It is not luxurious, but it's pretty big size, very clean, and well kept. There is a couch/desk area as well. Like most places in Japan, there are 2 twin beds instead of 1 double, but my husband and I don't mind. The bathroom is well designed and functional. The amenities are from the luxurious UK brand REN :)

Renn's adorable mom makes breakfast for the guests, and it is awesome. My husband and I looked forward to breakfast every morning! Some days she does traditional Japanese with 8 or 9 different components or a soba, and some days she makes crepes. It is always delicious and you will never be hungry afterwards!

There are snorkels, masks, and fins available if you want to take them to one of the beaches (highly recommended).

Also, during our recent stay one of the other guests was a super famous Japanese actor. So you can call it a celeb getaway spot too ;)

Helpful hints:
- Renn can help you arrange a rental car in advance, and the company will pick you up from the airport. (Tip: ask for the car company to pre-program the route to Private Resort Renn, as it is not the easiest to manage)
- If you are going during "busy season", ask him to make dinner reservations for you at the good restaurants. Most of the time my husband and I were able to order dinner using basic English, but once we actually called Renn and had him help order our meal. You will find the restaurants there very accommodating! I think there are not many Westerners, so they find us amusing :)

Date of stay: August 2015