See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed November 10, 2017 via mobile

Very disappointing experience. Nearby construction work was very noisy. Air conditioner was broken. The beach doesn’t look like on the pictures at all. The concierge manger was rude and inattentive. She also forbid me to speak to general manager, pretending he is not at the hotel at the time.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
5  Thank RafalPLWA
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

We spent a very enjoyable four nights at the Allamanda although it was not without a few minor gripes which I put down to things getting 'lost in translation' more than anything else. Before we arrived I sent a couple of messages via their website asking for details of their airport transfer arrangements. I don't know if their 'Contact Form' was working properly but neither message was answered and I eventually found an airport shuttle timetable on the website that gave me what I needed. The timetable looked very strict and precise but thankfully common sense prevailed when our flight landed a little late and we were helped speedily to a bus by the many staff waiting at the arrivals hall.

When we arrived at the hotel we were quickly taken to the Allamanda Lounge for swift check-in formalities and were shown our room. The pool suites are very nice but, as we now realise, they cater more for the Asian 'keep me sheltered from the sun' clientele rather than the European 'let me bask in what I don't see enough of back home' crowd. This of course makes absolute sense given where we were but it did mean we had to negotiate an 'on the spot' upgrade to one of their 'Royal Pavilions' in order to enjoy some sunshine by our pool. I did suggest that as SLH members we were entitled to an upgrade when available but that line doesn't work as well here as in other parts of their portfolio! The whole SLH thing is a little incongruous here as while Allamanda stretches the definition of 'Small' as it is, the wider resort covering the Shagira Villas, a much larger hotel on the beach, a golf course, a Wedding Chappel, a ski-resort style chairlift and multiple restaurants (with more building underway) creates a campus that is so large that Royal Pavillon guests are helpfully issued with their own golf buggy for the duration of your stay. That's a nice touch (and good fun too) but be prepared that this is a bigger place than you might be expecting.

All that said, our villa was very private and with a very large comfy bed, extra day bed, sauna, 'pod' style bath, wrap around pool and large sun terrace, we greatly enjoyed spending time there. The servicing of the room was a bit more sporadic. On two days it got to 3PM without any sight of the room being freshened up so I phoned to check we weren't forgotten and the cleaning team promptly turned up. On the third day they were there by 11 AM. We only had a turndown service on one of the 4 nights we stayed and on one of the days I had to chase for replacement water. The minibar was never checked while we were there but that was a blessing as I realised it was possible to buy drinks and snacks at the hotel shop far cheaper and simply use the minibar as a fridge.

We did venture out of our villa to visit the Allamanda Lounge (where Champagne is freely flowing whatever time of day it seems) and to eat of course. We sampled the Sushi, Italian Teppanyaki and Okinawan restaurants and all served great food and well. Breakfast also a treat and you have a choice between buffet or an a la carte brunch in two different places. The brunch option was so good we never bothered trying the buffet but I have no doubt it will have been nice.

In summary we had a really enjoyable stay and that was helped in no small part by the upgrade we paid for and the great weather for the duration. This type of resort seems unusual for Japan (they are ubiquitous in places like Thailand) and its cache seems to ensure its popularity with an overwhelmingly Japanese clientele. I'm not going to score the place down for some of the minor niggles noted because I'm not sure if I was expected to specifically request things like turn downs and wherever language was a barrier, a little bit of good humour always seemed to aid communication for all parties.

It's quite a long way to travel to Miyakojima but if you want to sample some Okinawan tropical sunshine as part of a wider Japanese adventure I would happily recommend it. Some of the hassle of the journey can be reduced by taking the ANA direct daily service from Haneda airport to Miyako - the flight takes under 3 hours and is well timed (both ways) for civilised departure and arrivals.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dr_John
Reviewed August 29, 2017

A dream.
Me and my friend were able to find a very goo deal for 3 days in this paradise.
Our room was the Lagoon Pool Suite and it was absolutely wonderful.
The best point was breakfast, you could basically select everything and any meal was delicious.
The only downside was unfortunately that the beach was inside the resort but far from the hotel and you should always reserve a shuttle to go there.
The shuttle is free but you have to wait at minimum half of an hour to have the shuttle pick you up.
But the best part was that they have a wonderful spa service, and you can arrange to have a massage in your own room. It was absolutely wonderful.
I plan to go back there again next year.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

We spent 4 days here and had a good time. Resort is located at southern part of Miyakojima and is less touristic. It offers free shuttle to Miyako airport (15min ride) as well as to nearby beaches, sights and restaurants. The golf course along the ocean is just fabulous and the hotel guests get the discounted rate. Hotel is a bit far from other interesting spots of the island, thus we had to rent a taxi to tour around Miyakojima. Only a few staff could speak English but we could manage well with our limited Japanese.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2017

We stayed at this hotel and the room was perfect. We had our private pool. The room was big and spacious on the 4th floor. The ceiling was very high because it was the top floor. The room also had a living room, a sun room and a balcony with the private pool.
Going snorkeling from here was great. We saw a lot of different kinds of fish. We were able to ride on segways and many other attractions were available there. All on the same property. There are over 20 restaurants on the property to chose from. We had dinner at Maralunga and the food and service were really great. Staff were very helpful and did an excellent job serving us.
I recommend this Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda resort to anyone who wants to unwind and get away from a hectic rat race. I felt really refreshed after this 3 day trip.

Room tip: Choosing a room on the top floor , gives you a better view of the ocean and it also has a higher ceiling.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
宮古島シギラリゾート, 支配人 at Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2017

Dear Ulibo0

Thank you for staying with Shigira Bayside Allamanda this time. Shigira Resort is a resort dotted with plenty of facilities such as a variety of restaurants and hot springs, activities, lift, underwater boat, German village. We are in the nature of the southern coastal area of Miyakojima, we aim for coexistence with nature and the ocean.
We are looking forward to hearing from you since we can visit Shigira Resort next time you come to Miyakojima.

Akihiro Tezuka