“This one is mine”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Citrusdal
Petersfield Farm Cottages
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
“This one is mine”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Review by characterstay.blogspot.com

As you can well imagine, my partner gets quite vexed by my adventurous accommodation spirit. So I was more than a little nervous to announce (as late as I dared) that our next stay was a farm cottage without electricity. With a seething technophile by my side, I tried to concentrate on navigating the bumpy, dusty entrance to Petersfield farm, while sending up a silent prayer that the place was not too rustic.

It was love at first sight. With the setting sun making golden the surrounding Cederberg cliffs, the cameras were out before even unpacking the car and all was forgiven. We stayed in De Veepos, one of the characterful country cottages at Petersfield, near Citrusdal. The farm is about two hours North of Cape Town, conveniently off the N7, but it feels miles away from the highway. Silence descends, as does a slight chill as one realises things are about to become real, real fast, as this place is the truth in terms of an escape from the everyday avoidant urban frenzy.

What characterstay loves about Petersfield Country Cottages:
• The cottages are nestled in the foothills of the spectacular Cederberg mountains
• The cottages are spaced far apart, not even in sight or sound of one another or the main farmhouse
• The gardens of the cottages celebrate the local fynbos, Cederberg rocks and fynbos
• Fireplaces, gas lamps, wooden beams and double wooden and glass doors
• White linen and mosquito nets, with soft beds makes this a surprisingly non-rustic character stay
• Deep blue-grey private swimming pools
• The outdoor bath, surrounded by fynbos and views of the mountains

Accommodation experience from characterstay.blogspot.com
Despite the chill in the air, I was doggedly determined to enjoy the novelty of an outdoor bath. I waited until the sun was well up in the sky, and ran a hot bubble bath. I undressed as quickly as possible and immersed myself in the warmth of the water, enjoying the contrast with the cool air. Nothing quite beats the feeling of lying in water under big skies, surrounded by views of mountains and fynbos and I felt a gentle coming home to myself while my soul lifted in greeting to the beauty of such a day and the kindness of being in such a place.

I was reminded of the Hafiz poem “This one is mine”, which goes like this:

Someone put
You on a slave block
And the unreal bought
You.

Now I keep coming to your owner
Saying,
“This one is mine.”

You often overhear us talking
And this can make your heart leap
With excitement.

Don’t worry,
I wont let sadness
Possess you.

I will gladly borrow all the gold
I need

To get you
Back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Berenice M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed at De Veepos cottage and absolutely loved it! With no electricity it feels like you step back in time when entering the cottage. Plenty of paraffin lamps and a big fire , plus any candles you bring provide the only light - perfect for enjoying the stars and getting back to the way things were. At the back there is a big porch with table, perfect for outside dining. There is also a beautiful plunge pool filled with clear cedar beg spring water. At the front there is a long deck running the length of the cottage which gets morning sun so perfect for morning coffee and breakfast. The view is also amazing looking out across the valley. So it's pretty perfect really. The walks up to the dam and the top of the ridge are out the back door and are beautiful...the fynbos and wild flower diversity is amazing.
We were joined by my partners family so with 3 bedrooms there was plenty of room. They also fell in love with it immediately and leaving was very hard. It's the kind of place you completely lose track of time.
As incredible as the outside bathroom and bath was, my only suggestion would be to consider moving it to a more private location (there are plenty) away from the main parking area.
We had a little nose around Stonehaven and that is definitely perfect for couples and the outside bath is nicely tucked away behind a large rock with stunning views.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ian k
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We spent the weekend at Veepos at Petersfield Farm. WOW! What a piece of paradise! Even if I tried I could never find fault with anything. Perfection in every way. It is a piece of heaven here on earth. The views, the accommodation, the facilities - pure bliss. Not once were we bored and hardly noticed that there was no electricity which made the weekend away even more peaceful. From the time we contacted John right up until we left, he was extremely helpful and a pleasure to deal with. We will definitely be back, hopefully for longer next time because we just didn't want to leave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Veronica K
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I'm aware that I've left writing this review for so long, but now have the time to do so ... and still have a long-lasting impression of our first stay at Dassieklip Cottage on the Peterfield Farm in October. From the outset we knew we were going to be in good hands as our hosts had been so very well organised from the moment we made our booking, a year in advance, to the time we arrived - having provided us with all the necessary information, and then more about what was happening around town on the weekend.
I’ll remember the first glimpse I had of Dassiesklip cottage, for a long time – nestled at the end of an avenue of trees, and dappled in the last rays of the sun – so picturesque.
Upon opening the front door, I was simply in awe of the how well equipped and spacious the cottage is, and loved the attention to detail in assuring we had every comfort ... and pristine white bedding too. A home away from home, which we could share with our 2 border collies.
In short, we had such a lovely, necessary quiet, family time – walking, playing cricket, cards, games, and ... the kids swam – brrrr (cold in October!).
I can’t thank our hosts enough for providing a peaceful haven away from the hectic world we live in. We were very reluctant to leave, knowing it was the beginning of a new school term the next day - but, we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Petersfield Farm has several cottages to choose from, all a respectful distance from one another. Da...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Franandothers
tulbagh
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for a week for a mini-moon Honeymoon at Stonehaven just after we got married. It was everything we could have asked for and more. The panoramas are breathtaking, the silence rejuvenating and our surroundings were National Geographic perfect. Nothing is too much trouble for the owners, and there was lots little special touches that made us feel like we were the only guests. We had half a week of summer weather, so we could sit out on the porch with a glass of wine and enjoy the sunset and half a week of winter weather, where we had a toasty indoor fire and lots of red wine. Defiantly coming back again!

Room Tip: Just make sure to do all your shopping beforehand, so you don't have to cut your paradise trip i...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy K
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed at Stonehaven for our one year anniversary. Isolated, with stunning views of the Cedarberg, our stay here was nothing short of breathtaking. The open plan house is very spacious, with a huge bath by the window. A plunge pool with amazing view is for cooling off, and a bath in the tub tucked away in the veld above the house is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I love to braai, and there are three to choose from, with wood provided. There is no electricity, but a gas geyser and fridge are provided, and solar power powers the stereo and lights.

Above all, the isolation and romantic location makes this an unforgettable getaway location. It is self-catering, which is not for everyone, but that adds to the privacy for those who like to bring and braai themselves.

One quick tip is that the road to the cottage is a bit rough. Our Corolla got up with a bit of trouble, anything lower might struggle. All in all I highly recommend this to anyone who loves to experience the outdoors in a beautiful and romantic setting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stonehaven is a fairytale abode for two. Beautifully appointed in complete privacy with every need taken care of. The cottage is designed for the perfect getaway for two, indoor corner bath and fireplace for cuddly winter weather, 3 braai-places in different spots if its windy, and a fantastic (warm!!) bath in the middle of the veld down a romantic paved path. You have your very own pool with a fantastic view of the valley, with an umbrella and deckchairs to round off summer bliss. There are lanterns, candles, brass bed, a linen covered table and shower for two.

Hedley and John are the perfect hosts, ensuring all is spotless and nothing is forgotten, welcome notes, flowers, little soaps and thoughtful notes of happenings in Citrusdal if you want an evening out.

We didn't once look for anything that we'd forgotten because its all there! We have been to Petersfield a few times and ALWAYS have our expectations exceeded. This is indeed the "top of the pops" getaway of all time, and I am divided in writing this as its getting so popular!
Whomever may be reading this, you cannot go wrong, its spectacular!

Room Tip: We've stayed at Stonehaven, De Kom, and know people that have stayed at Veepos and Dassieklip...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple