“Lovely hotel. Staff just OK”

Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Doral
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Lovely hotel. Staff just OK”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

As I searched for an affordable hotel to stay overnight after a recent trip to Trinidad, I was amazed how few affordable options there were near the Miami airport. That said, I am extremely loyal to the IHG group, and so I was pleased to finally find a Candlewood Suites hotel with availability. I’ve stayed in Candlewood Suites before, and have been generally pleased.

Despite being about 5 miles from the airport, access is via an interstate and so what should be a short trip becomes longer (and more costly) because of rush hour traffic and when you cab driver does not know where your hotel is located (or so he claimed) and realizes too late that a prior exit was shifted from one side of the road to the other! We ultimately made it to the hotel with the assistance of my Maps app on my I-phone. You quickly realize that the lower hotel rate become a less of a good deal because there was now a $30 cab fare plus tip – one way!

Having contacted the hotel in advance to request a room on the first floor since I would only be staying one night, I was bummed to arrive around 7pm and to have been assigned a room on the 3rd floor necessitating a ride on the elevator.

The room itself was lovely – close to the elevator, with no obnoxious odors, very clean, lots of towels , comfortable bed, working fridge and microwave, TV that worked fine and lots of outlets for my electronics. The bed was very comfortable as was the recliner. The WiFi worked fine except for periodic hiccups when I did FaceTime with my DH. I kept joking that we FaceTimed daily while I was in Trinidad without a problem and in Miami, I kept having problems. Go figure!

I slept reasonably OK despite the planes flying overhead – another reason why I requested a room on the first floor since others had mentioned airplane noise on the higher floor.

I can't speak about food in the area because I brought dinner in my carry on. I did go down to the pantry on arrival and picked up a juice, bottle of water and a yogurt. Prices were fair.

At check-in I had requested a cab to pick me up at 5:30 am for the airport. The staffer noted in his notebook. Luckily I called down once I was ready in the am and the person at the desk said she would call a cab but she couldn’t place a call in advance of my coming down. What?

Anyway, by the time I headed down with my luggage, my cab arrived. The person at the front desk seemed surprised and said she’d just called. Thirty minutes after my initial call! Plus, the staffer seemed to have major problems getting me checked out. I was getting a bit PO’d and was ready to walk out because my cab was waiting, and she was shuffling around looking for some elusive piece of paper!

Basically, for the cab fare paid ($30 plus tip x 2) plus the room rate, I believe you can find a hotel that’s closer to Miami airport or one with a free hotel shuttle. The hotel itself is lovely but staff are just OK. The word urgent is apparently not in their vocabulary even at 5:30 am in the morning!

If you found this review helpful please indicate below. Thanks!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor if you're a light sleeper. My room overlooked the parking lot which I used to c...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank trinigirlmd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
cheltenham
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here for one night in a queen bed studio suite and found it to be a quiet, comfortable room on the ground floor. The swimming pool was fine and warm and ideal for a quick dip. There is a do-it-yourself launderette which is free (so ignore the coin operation). We were able to buy breakfast (and other meals if required) which was very handy, and there were facilities there to prepare them. We had not come across Candlewood Suites before and liked the ethics of them.
We found a pub across the very busy NW87th Avenue with quite good food and beer.

Room Tip: We had a quiet room on the ground floor but think all of them would be quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimbo29
Charlottetown, PEI
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at this property three separate times over a three week period. Our first stay was for 5 days, than another day following a one-week cruise and then another day after a trip to Guatemala. The staff were extremely friendly and professional. We were able to leave a piece of our cruise luggage at the hotel when we left for our Guatemalan adventure.
Our rooms were better with each consecutive staff. The first room was a very comfortable "studio", the second was on the third floor with a wonderful view of the park, and the third was a one bedroom apartment. Great pool and hot tub.
Given our travel plans the free laundry was a welcome addition. Laundry supplies are available at a cost of $1.50 in the cupboard.
There is a wonderful park just behind the property with a walking/jogging path (inside track about 1 mile, outside track about 1.5 miles). Park is accessible from a gate in the fence at the corner of the building across the parking lot (leave hotel by pool exit).
Coffee shop and several restaurants just at the corner of the street as well as just minutes away. Anthony's Coal Fire Pizza is about a 10 minute walk and Chili's and Flannigan's are about 20 minutes in the opposite direction #all on 87th#. Wal-Mart is near Chili's and Flannigan's. Bank of American ATM near Anthony's. #1 restaurant in Doral, Pappa and Ciccia is about 20 minutes away down 25th but well worth the walk.

Room Tip: Third floor with views of the park!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyCanadian13
Wapakoneta
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is a 25 dollar taxi from the airport so if you addt that to the price of the hotel you would be better off staying at a nicer hotel with shuttle service. Besides that the staff was friendly and the room was clean.If you want to eat it's a 10 dollar taxi to hooters.

• Stayed February 2014
Grand Cayman
Reviewed February 9, 2014

First time staying at this hotel - was pleasantly surprised by the room. Fully equiped kitchen. Clean room and great location close to resturants. Shopping malls were less than 2 miles away. Would definitely return. Free wifi. No free breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Angelam1016
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Very Dark and lonely surroundings, room in sorry state, with stained carpets, room door apparently had suffered a break in. Supposedly Non smoking room smelling like an ashtray.
Staff not helpfull
Tried to write a review on this proporty at chains own website was not possible , review section not working currently.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Alessandro U,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Okemos, Michigan
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had the smallest "suite." It had full office amenities. Full kitchen including dishwasher. Very modern and very clean. Great Q bed and bed linens. Very comfortable. Would definitely return. No free breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Sandu517
Also consider these accommodations in or near Doral
Best Western Plus Miami-Doral/Dolphin Mall
InterContinental at Doral Miami
Nuvo Suites
Nuvo Suites
#16 of 23 in Doral
Hampton Inn & Suites Miami-Doral/Dolphin Mall
Extended Stay America - Miami - Airport - Doral - 87th Avenue South
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport West

Been to Candlewood Suites Miami Airport West? Share your experiences!