“Terrible time just trying to get into my room”

Trump National Doral Golf Course
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Been trying to get into my room since 2pm. First room wasn't available. Then took me 25 min to get a key once it was ready. Headed straight to dinner without dropping my stuff off. Came back at 10.30 to find the elevator was broke. No phone in the lobby. Finally had bell captain come and carry my items up to the third floor. 11pm and Si ready for bed only to find out the light in the closet is broke. Keeps turning on an off. Nice strobe effect. Except I want to sleep. 11.15 and waiting for engineer to come up. Not convenient when meetings start at 7.45 tomorrow morning. Can't imagine that this is going to get any better.

1  Thank Desireehtravels
There are newer reviews for Trump National Doral Golf Course

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Hey, Donald...FIRE SOMEBODY!!! Parking here was a total cluster----,an unmitigated disaster of a launch for the new Doral. People paying $40.00 to valet park and then waiting 2 hours at Valet to get their cars back.Seems Shemaus was blissfully collecting the cash and then neglecting to inform the runners that car 123 had been paid for and to go get it.After 50 minutes i went to the window to form a stink and found that my keys had never been moved off the rack to get my car. If you go to the tournament do not park at hotel, have someone drop you off(taxi, Family at the gate), This never happened in 25 years of Eastern, Ryder,Ford, Computer Associates tournaments. What Gives?? Hire Soffer parking if you can't do it.

1  Thank richard a
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I played the Blue Monster on February 20. No doubt the revamped course is a severe test of golf and was in excellent condition when I played. However, for a total cost of more than $550, the entire experience did not measure up with Pebble Beach, TPC Sawgrass and Pinecrest 2. The staff were all very polite and my forecaddie (Sean/Shawn?) and his colleague were terrific but the full fee should not be charged until they can deliver the full expectation of service and amenities that comes with that price point. The day I played was the first day that the new pro shop was open. After paying, I asked to use the restroom - it wasn't available yet and I would have to go back to the Spa where I had parked and taken a shuttle to the course....However, they pointed out that there were portable toilets out on the course for the forthcoming tournament, so I could wait and use one of those. Thankfully, portable toilets were available at the practice range because those on the course were wired together and locked-up. The golf cart I was given had no scorecard and no divot repair material in either bottle. When I arrived at the first tee 8 minutes before my tee time, I noticed a PGA pro with others beside the tee. Course staff asked me to immediately tee off on my own and catch up to the threesome that was approaching the first green - then changed his mind and drove me out to the threesome, saying I could play the first hole at the end of my round. I guess my $550 isn't worth the same as others'. Those considering playing here should know that airliners fly low overhead every 90 seconds - two minutes. One last observation - the pro shop would not validate my $18 parking fee, saying that charge is "part of the business". While a small part of the total cost, I would observe that Pebble, TPC Sawgrass and Pinehurst don't charge for parking if you have a tee time, so this just seemed to be part of an overall strategy to gouge every possible dollar from guests. While the golf course itself was great, I left feeling that I had gotten "the business".

4  Thank BobandNic
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Some of the new greens were a little slower than others. Fairways are generous (as my ball rolled forever). I found myself putting through the fringes when short siding myself. Ruff was being thicken for the upcoming tourney. It was cart path only at the time we played. The caddie had a laser for distances which helped maintain speed of play, but I found myself with a hand full of clubs at time for my second shot ( our caddie hustled his butt off tending to distances, raking bunkers, and assisting with clubs).
You have to pay a caddie fee before heading out on the course. If you do get a good caddie, he'll make you feel like a pro.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The course itself is fun and the caddies are great. But since to play you basically must stay on property this impacts the overall experience and ours was terrible. So much construction at the course and clubhouse that I was nearly hit by construction equipment 2X. At this price point completely inexcusable. It should have been closed until construction was completed.

2  Thank Dan B