“Not much to say”

The Phoenix
Ranked #14 of 22 Restaurants in Sunbury
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Phoenix has recently been purchased by Authentic Pub Co who are in the process of drawing up plans for a major refurbishment of the pub and garden. In the meantime we have given the place a thorough clean and 'blitzed' the beer and lager lines. We now serve a range of well kept beer and lager. We have put a small but carefully selected wine menu in which offers a range of wines by both the glass and bottle. We have totally redesigned the menu and now offer a selection of freshly prepared dishes including home made pies and burgers. We hope to close in January for our refurbishment but will keep you posted closer to the time, in the meantime we hope you enjoy the little changes we have made. Hope to see you all soon.
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We went in on Sunday for a few drinks. Wasn't a friendly welcome, the barmaid looked fed up of being there.

Good place to go for cheap round of jäger bombs other then that. Wouldn't bother

1  Thank Squiishy
There are newer reviews for The Phoenix

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Reading the appalling reviews of this pleasant and inviting looking pub, I was surprised to see the negative comments addressed at the landlord. The two men behind the bar handled the following situation very well and pleasantly. A pity that one of the other employees let them down so badly.

The problem we had was with the thoroughly unpleasant female serving the food who was unwelcoming and sullen from the moment we walked in.

I went with a friend for lunch, the gentleman behind the bar was friendly and helpful and we were served quickly. We ordered two salads and were given a numbered spoon and took our drinks outside to wait for our food. Over an hour later I attracted her attention and I asked her what had happened to our food. She grimaced and said 'the kitchen had a big order' and walked away, no apology, no offer to see if she could speed it up, just a sullen, hostile and disinterested response to a polite and reasonable question.

Half an hour later I went inside and complained at the bar, mentioning that my complaint was more about the woman's attitude than the extremely long wait. We were offered our drinks free (pint of beer shandy £3.70 which seems very expensive) and they apologised, one explaining that our order had been given to another table, which the woman denied. We cancelled the food order and got the money back.

A few minutes later, after we'd had the money back for the food, she brought the meals out as we were about to leave. When I told her we'd had the money back and were leaving she just turned away, again no apology or effort to pacify.

A pity because what could have been a pleasant lunch in the sun was turned into a bad experience due to the vile attitude of one person, and this pub has great potential.

I note that someone has written that those who wrote the many negative reviews may have some agenda. This is not my case, I've never been to the pub before, never even heard of it, in fact I'd only ever driven through the pleasant village of Sunbury without stopping until today. I may well be spending more time in Sunbury but certainly not at the Phoenix unless there are some changes.

7  Thank Mike340
S13on, Owner at The Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2015

Hi,
Authentic Pub Co recently purchased this pub and have big plans for the future, which include an extensive refurbishment of the pub, garden and toilets. We hope to close in January / February to carry this work out.

In the meantime we have cleaned the pub from top to bottom, blitzed the beer lines to improve the lager and beer, added a wine list available by the glass and put a new fresh menu in with some proper British pub classics.

We hope you give the pub another try as it is already very different to the pub it was in October.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Am a local living close by to this pub. Went for an eve drink with my girlfriend. Waited at bar for staff to notice me but they did not as obviously I was not noticed due to not being a regular piss head. Waited to be served after a pissed old croonie came in from the garden to top himself up. Sat down in the snug bar and experienced the bar staff swearing at each other......nice!

This pub is up for sale at £135,000 for the remaining lease. Come on people lets get a decent Landlord back in here. Lower Sunbury say NO to underage Chavs drinking in our local.

9  Thank Romantic_Roamer

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Popped in for a quiet Sunday evening drink. Shortly after receiving our drinks the landlord entered into a foul mouthed abusive tirade at his staff. This continued for 30 mins with various other members of staff becoming embroiled and abused. Finally one member of staff came over to apologise. I replied that I was disappointed that our drink was spoiled by the events and that it was wholly inappropriate. She agreed and we heard her pass the comments on. The landlords reply was "f**@ em." As we left I pointed out I had heard his response and that I had expected better. His response was tough but if I wanted to fight he was there waiting. All in all not great for a quiet drink but ideal if a drunken abusive landlord or bare knuckle fighting is your thing. Not for me though.

13  Thank Matt M

Reviewed June 18, 2014

This public house is in a fantastic spot, backing onto the Thames. We stumbled upon it after walking around Sunbury, it should be a thriving business, but looks run down, un-loved and sad. The two ladies behind the bar are very nice and only apologised for the condition of this pub. It was a lovely sunny day, so we sat outside and had an ok sandwich, and a coffee, all ok, but the patio garden is dirty and needs a lot of TLC. I heard from a conversation that was loud the landlord is due to sell the property, good job I say, the pub really needs it's mojo back get rid of the flags outside clean the place up and do this little gem justice.

6  Thank Susan C