“Very Good Lunch”

The Phoenix
Ranked #14 of 22 Restaurants in Sunbury
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Phoenix has recently been purchased by Authentic Pub Co who are in the process of drawing up plans for a major refurbishment of the pub and garden. In the meantime we have given the place a thorough clean and 'blitzed' the beer and lager lines. We now serve a range of well kept beer and lager. We have put a small but carefully selected wine menu in which offers a range of wines by both the glass and bottle. We have totally redesigned the menu and now offer a selection of freshly prepared dishes including home made pies and burgers. We hope to close in January for our refurbishment but will keep you posted closer to the time, in the meantime we hope you enjoy the little changes we have made. Hope to see you all soon.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Lately, reviews of The Phoenix have been at both ends of the scale and it may be that the pub can be very different depending on the time of day you visit? We have recently been here twice at lunchtime and had excellent pub lunches from a very varied menu. The staff on duty could not do enough for us. We rated both the food and value as very good bordering on excellent. We will certainly return again for lunch soon.

2  Thank David S
There are newer reviews for The Phoenix

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I'm not sure who these trolls are, who are writing the reviews I've just read. However, they are not describing the Phoenix or the food I've recently discovered. Forget the title "pub grub", these meals are an "experience" something that will rival the best restaurants in London or Europe; and I speak from experience, having had the privilege of enjoying a good few as a guest on business.

The atmosphere throughout the pub is warm and friendly with an attentiveness from the staff that is pleasantly surprising in this day and age but that only complements the real ales to give an obvious welcome that is now rare.

While I'm not someone who could be described as a "local", I will now be regularly visiting this oasis of old world hospitality, Having now eaten there on half a dozen occasions in the last month I cannot wait for those warm sunny days that will allow me to introduce guests to this secret gem; I look forward to enjoying those river views from the beer garden, currently only glimpsed from the dining room windows.

1  Thank Kieran-DD
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Really hope the negative reviews on here are not taken seriously...they appear to have been written by people with chips on theirs shoulders for some reason....! This is a wonderful, friendly pub where the food is very reasonably priced and very tasty...the roasts on a Sunday are a particular favourite of ours. The bar staff are always (without exception) very welcoming and accommodating and the atmosphere is just as a local English pub should be. Drinks are realistically priced and the location by the river is perfect....love it!

2  Thank sheenah s
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Having read the mixed reviews J thought I would give it a try and make my own decision
Oh dear oh dear... Big mistake.. Huge even! I don't know where the folks went who wrote the good reviews but it wasn't this place!
On my visit I was greeted by a drunk who literally fell out the door when I opened it and fell flat on his face in the middle of the road leaving a trail of vomit from the bar to the outside! The landlord shouted several unrepeatable expletives after him then turned on his heel , swallowed a glass of something and totally ignored the puke on the floor.
We were greeted to a "what do you want? " and a glare from said landlord at which point we did a swift about turn to a chorus of drunken jeers and more expletives from the landlord

Shocking behaviour, disgraceful pub and we will never darken its doors again!!!

4  Thank Diane A
S13on, Owner at The Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2015

Hi,
Authentic Pub Co recently purchased this pub and have big plans for the future, which include an extensive refurbishment of the pub, garden and toilets. We hope to close in January / February to carry this work out.

In the meantime we have cleaned the pub from top to bottom, blitzed the beer lines to improve the lager and beer, added a wine list available by the glass and put a new fresh menu in with some proper British pub classics.

We hope you give the pub another try as it is already very different to the pub it was in October.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This pub is fantastici it has a fantastic location on the riverand the food is delicious
10 of us went on the 18th of Feb for my Birthday every body thought it was Fab my husband can't wait to go back and have liver and bacon again Mouldi234 and Andy Philips are talking out of their backsides
Julie G Sheppertone