See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed September 11, 2014 via mobile

My family came to visit us in July of 2012. There was 11 of them and We had them stay here in the big cabin on the water. We were so impressed! The cabin was gorgeous and the view spectacular. The resort is impeccably clean and the cabin is fully furnished with all amenities. Our cabin had a hot tub on the deck and deck was literally on the water. Amazing! My nieces and nephews loved fishing and swimming right off the dock. It was so quiet and peaceful yet so conveniently close to town. We went out in our boat fishing and were able to clean our fish in the awesome fish cleaning cabin which was super handy. Marg and Dave are beautiful people and very welcoming to everyone. Marg is one of the kindest ladies I have ever met and all the love and dedication they have for this resort truly shows during your stay here. I highly recommend this beautiful, clean, family operated resort.

Date of stay: July 2014
2  Thank M C
Reviewed September 11, 2014 via mobile

Went up to howey bay for a fly-in fishing trip. Cabins were up to date with solar power, hot and cold running water, a propane refrigerator and chest type freezer, a propane 4 burner cooking stove and oven, and an indoor shower. Fishing was fantastic for walleyes and northern. Been back 4 times since it was also so peaceful and relaxing. Marg and Dave go all out to make your trip one to remember. Plan on going back next year and include my brother and son-in-law so they can also experience this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank Rick & Colleen R
Reviewed September 5, 2014

My husband, son and I have been coming to Howey Bay Resort for nearly 10 consecutive summers. We live in southern Ontario and live a very hectic and fast paced live style. We have been at nearly every outpost there is through Howey Bay and absolutely love all of them. Marg and Dave are fabulous hosts and the fishing is "out of this world"! The cabins are rustic but surprisingly have all the amenities one could need. Everything is either solar or gas powered. A hot shower, wow! I guess the only thing that took adjusting that I needed to let go of my hairdryer, lol! What I most love about our annual trips (and I am not into fishing whatsoever) is the peace and quiet. Just nature and no other sounds. My guys go out fishing several times during the day, while I sit on the dock, enjoy a good book coupled with fresh percolated coffee and as the day progresses a few glasses of wine. It is absolute paradise!!
All the cabins are well equipped, most with three separate bedrooms, a large kitchen with a full size fridge and a large separate freezer. All you need to do is bring your sleeping bag, towels and I usually bring some pillow covers. The fishing is unbelievable and the fish tastes amazing. With internet, TV and all the technology I love that we can completely shut down. We play board games, cards, tell stories from the past, enjoy a bonfire and just have some super quality family time. A lot of my female friends wonder and question me often why do you love going to the bush so much. I challenge anyone "try it out once and you know what I am talking about". What is also great is that Howey Bay has its own little float plane. They have a staff that checks up regularly on guests, bringing minnows, ice and groceries/booze, if needed. What service! I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Room tip: All outposts are equally good, it just depends I guess what kind of fish you are after.......
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank PeachyPeterborough
Reviewed September 4, 2014

If you expect top notch service,great accommodations and great fishing and hunting, this is the place to go. Dave and Marg run a first class operation. They have their main resort on Red Lake for those who want to experience great Canadian fishing but still have the freedom to explore the surrounding area and community. As a bonus, anyone staying there gets free greens fees at the local golf course. Cabins are spacious and clean with all the amenities of home. They are situated very near the water, all with a great view. Two of the cabins have large hot tubs on their decks. Boats and motors are all newer and very well maintained or if you prefer you can bring your own. There is all also a fish cleaning shed for taking care of your days catch with freezer space for what you wish to take home. The bear hunting is incredible with nearly 100% success rate. The year my group hunted we went 3 for 3. Every year there are several very large animals harvested. For those more adventurous, they have outpost cabins on several lakes which you fly-in to via a float plane, an experience by itself. One you arrive at your outpost you will be in awe of how peaceful and grand your surroundings are. Cabins are very clean and comfortable with running hot and cold water, shower, stove, refrigerator, freezer and electric lights via roof top solar panels. You will also have a boat with motor and fuel for your stay and these are also modern and well maintained. The fishing on these lakes is also superb. The lakes contain walleyes, northern pike, perch and some have lake trout. We have caught northern pike over 46" on Little Vermillion and have heard of larger caught there and on Odin. All the lakes have walleyes or near a lake with walleyes via a short portage. On most of these lakes you will have the entire lake to yourselves aside from the routine check flights from Dave or his staff.

Once you go, you will be back. Dave and Marg have a special place and will make your trip a lifetime memory!

Room tip: All the cabins are great.
Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank GSCAKS
Reviewed September 4, 2014

My wife and I along with my brother and his wife spent August 16-23rd at Howey Bay Resort. Marg greeted us when we arrived and showed us our cabin and said to make ourselves at home. The cabin was perfect, clean, on the waters edge and had a hot-tub! Marg made sure all was in order and it was. We were then greeted by Ken, a worker at the resort and he showed my brother and I the boats and went over all the details. Later that evening Ken took the four of us out in his boat and toured the area with us and showed us places to get started fishing the next morning(very nice of him). The week had highs around 80, sunny skies, and little wind and the walleyes bit and bit and bit. One day on flat calm waters at 1130 a.m. we sat in one spot and pulled one after another for over and hour and a half, unreal.
The thing that made the resort so perfect was we had the convenience of the city of Red Lake by looking to the left off our deck and total wilderness by looking and heading to the right off our deck. Very little boat traffic which surprised me-we saw very few boats out when we were out. Dave and Marg were excellent hosts, they let us be but were more than willing to talk and help whenever help was needed. Marg even took us blueberry picking. Overall it was a perfect getaway and a week we all needed!

Date of stay: August 2014