“Life cant get much better than this”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Viking Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Lake
Viking Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
Port Stephens NSW. Australia
“Life cant get much better than this”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have been there twice now in August each year & lining up again for the third time this year.
Location is idyllic , fishing is fantastic , life style with a group of guys cooking for ourselves & making our own fun is the best life can produce. Enid & Hugh are two of the most genuine people you could find anywhere in the world & the sea plane trip from Red Lake is wonderful.
Being a regular guest who has travelled for over 30 hours just to get to Minneapolis must be testament to just how good this fishing camp really is . Port Stephens NSW Australia to Los Angeles to Minneapolis takes 30 hours & then in car for another 12 hours to Red Lake means your destination & the fishing needs to be world class & i'm coming again to prove that it is . Boats are safe & reliable & well maintained for catching Walleyes & pikes . Accommodation is comfortable ,well provided with everything you need & Enid is there to look after us . As I have just completed my 49th trip to the "other side of the world" I believe that I know what is good & Viking Island Ontario Canada has it in bucket loads. Im again excited about this years trip.

Room Tip: You have a number of cabins to choose from & they are all good for many reasons : but MY PICK ha...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent a week the end of June in 2013, and really enjoyed it. The accommodations were very good and the fishing exceeded my hopes. Enid was great and we had many good conversations and shared a few meals. The real beauty of Viking Island is that you have about 10 lakes to fish, with no one else there. I've looked at a lot of resorts in Ontario advertising "only resort on the lake". Use a google map and you will find many cabins and boat docks. Having lakes truly to ourselves, was the biggest plus to us. Since they are now housekeeping, they flew our supplies in no charge. Also, they flew in additional supplies during the week, no charge. We plan to go back in 2015.
John Hoenigman
Santa Barbara, CA

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank John H
Naperville, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was my first chance to go fishing in Canada and my only disappointment was not going sooner. Even after a week, still did not get a chance to fish all the lakes available. The accommodations were outstanding and everyone felt like family by the end of the week. I have pictures hanging across from my desk to remind me of the fantastic vacation. I am already looking forward to going back with my sons in a few years.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Scott S
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I have been to other fishing lodges, but this one is our favorite! Enid (owner) is very helpful and friendly. Hugh (owner) is a very good pilot and has many stories and interesting conversation in the evenings in the lodge. The other staff were very friendly and helpful. You feel like family by the time you leave!

The flight out to the island was short and scenic.

The fishing was great! We caught many nice sized walleye and northern. Douglas lake had more than enough fish for us. We also did the short portage to Hatchet Lake and caught many large northern and some lake trout, which were easy to catch. Next year we plan to do the portages to the other lakes. It was so great to be on beautiful Douglas lake and then have the option to easily go to other more secluded lakes for the day.

I really liked the idea of being on a smaller lake (Douglas Lake) than we have been at other fishing resorts. We could come in for lunch and get out of the boat for a short time. There is an area on the lake to make shore lunch if you prefer. We preferred to have a light lunch in the cabin and then cook our fish on the new large gas grill (with side burner) on the deck of our cabin (Tower). The deck looked out over the lake. We enjoyed sitting out there every evening. We also had a tour of a couple of the other cabins and they also had great decks and the cabins were as nice as the one we stayed in.

The bed we used in the cabin was very comfortable and the new kitchen was great! We prefer to cook our own food when we go fishing. It was great to have many staples provided, such as jam, ketchup, mustard, relish, rice, baked beans, potatoes, onions, etc.

There is a lodge with a full kitchen that you can use, if you have a large group. It is also a great place for conversation in the evening if you want to visit with the owners and other people staying on the island.

We are planning to go back next summer! Viking Island is a very beautiful spot for fishing! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fishingcouple2013
Hustler, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Staying at Viking Island was very relaxing and enjoyable. The Carlsons were amazing hosts and provided top-notch service. During the time of my visit, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the history of the resort and the Carlson family as well as chatting with the Florence, the matriarch of the Carlson family, at the lodge. Our cabin was exceptionally clean and comfortable and provided all of the necessities of rustic lodging. The fishing was awesome, and the people, accommodations, and service were exceptional. I had the thrill of seeing my first moose and other wildlife that I have had prior exposure. Viking Island offers something for everyone. My father has been visiting Viking Island several times annually for over twenty-five years. I have not been there since 2006, but plan to be making another trip in the very near future. I cannot wait!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jmski3
River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is the gem of fly in fishing vacations. There are several lakes and portages. Accommodations are excellent. My favourite cabin is Miners. Enid and Hugh are awesome hosts! Can not wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank MPN59
Coal Valley, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

June 2013 was our second trip to Viking Island. The fishing was fantastic on Douglas Lake and 9 portage lakes. We had a fantastic time. The Carlson's are great people who make you feel like a member of the family. The accomodations and service are outstanding. We stayed in Tower cabin with indoor plumbing (shower and toilet) and new kitchen which makes this fly-in "wilderness" experience unparalleled

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends