Wild Orangutan Tours - Day Tours
Review Highlights
Three days, two nights - absolutely fantastic

Reviewed November 2, 2018
The-Travelbug75
Lightwater, United Kingdom
Orangutan Journey Tanjung Putting National Park, Pankalanbun

It was a dream come true with Mickey Juanda and his crew! 5 star treatment Linda Niemoller Cape... read more

Reviewed October 4, 2018
LindaN3114

All reviews night tour top deck three days the river two nights one night national park dream come true an excellent guide probiscus monkeys booking process night walk nina trek mattress shower forest
Selected filters
Reviewed November 2, 2018

Just to add a few lines to reinforce what's already been said by other reviewers. I booked a three day two night tour with Wild Orangutan Tours and if I had the time and money I'd do it all again tomorrow, with at least an extra day added on to incorporate the turtle sanctuary which I’m disappointed I missed out on. The booking process was very easy from a UK perspective and they tailor-made the tour to fit my flight times. I took the tour on my own like a middle aged billy-no-mates and I haven't felt that content and relaxed in years! No wife and kids with me! A whole klotok to myself! The food was great, the mattress was comfortable, the weather was fantastic and the guide was very good (a young lad named Hendra, the sort of well spoken boy you wouldn't mind your daughter going out with!). I got to do a night-walk which was worth it just for the tarantulas. And then the orangutans themselves were just amazing.

I was wondering if my wife and two kids would have enjoyed it if they'd been with me. The kids would no doubt have whinged that there was no wifi and my wife would have probably preferred a 5 star hotel, but for me on my own this was exactly what I needed.

A massive thumbs up from me.

Date of experience: October 2018

Cape Town

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank LindaN3114
Reviewed April 10, 2018

The whole experience has been fantastic. Hannah was really helpful when booking, sending detailed information and suggestions for packing. Then all the arrangements for pick up from hotel, to the river cruise, to return to the airport was very smoothly arranged. The river cruise itself was fantastic, we had our own little boat with running shower and mosquito net over the bed on top deck. The food cooked on board was delicious, some of the best we had on our whole holiday, and even had home-made snacks and cold drinks through out the day. Our guide Herman was friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about all animals in the rain forest, and even lent me his long camera lens to get fantastic photos of the Orangutans!

Cannot recommend more strongly for a fantastic trip and so many opportunities to see the orangutans up close. Great value for money and ease with the whole booking process. Thank you Hannah, Herman and everyone!

Megan and Fred.

Date of experience: March 2018
6  Thank Megan W
Reviewed October 16, 2017

Let me begin by saying that my daughter wanted to give me the best experience of orangutans and proboscis monkeys (both of whom I adore) but we had a budget. After going through a list of options we hit on Wild Orangutan Tours because they not only arranged the best possible trip within our budget, but they were super helpful with advance information on what to expect, what to carry, and so on, which made an immense difference because there were no unexpected/unwelcome surprises.

We were picked up at Pangkalan Bun airport by our guide and driven into Kumai from where we boarded the klotok in which we would stay for three days and two nights. We had comfortable mattresses on deck with a mosquito net set up at night. At the front of the boat there were chairs from which we could view the banks of the river, spot birds and wildlife, and take photos. There was a table and chairs for meals. The toilet, which we had to share with the crew, was at the rear of the boat. The crew consisted of the captain and his assistant, as well as a lady to cook our meals, and our guide.

Our guide was wonderful at his job, keeping a shap eye out, and the captain of the boat was most obliging in stopping instantly. As a result we got fabulous photographs of hornbills, kingfishers, monitor lizards, snakes, and proboscis monkeys as well as macaques. On the walk to the first orangutan feeding station (we had seen a wild one on the river bank much earlier in the day), while waiting, we saw a pygmy squirrel, all manner of unusual insects, orchids and trees. When the orangutans came down it was sheer magic. I left the photo-taking to my daughter while I drank in every second of the experience.

The next day, on the way to visit Camp Leakey and another feeding station, we saw a gharial in the river. As we got off the boat and onto the boardwalk, the alpha male was within feet of us, showing off his prowess at tree-climbing and amazing acrobatic stunts! A mother with her little baby were sitting on the boardwalk, again just a few feet away, and the antics of the baby were super entertainment. It was touching to see the close bond between mother and child. We saw the most orangutans at this feeding, enough to satisfy my greed! That night there was a trek into the forest which we decided to give a miss because I was very tired.

Early on the last morning of our trip, we had wonderful views of proboscis monkey families on both banks of the river, more hornbills, kingfishers and other lovely birds. We trekked to the third feeding station and enjoyed a spontaneous comic interaction between the orangutans with one huge chap being a complete glutton. We were then taken to visit Sekonyer Village. There was a wedding in the village and we were invited to greet the happy couple and partake of the banquet, besides enjoying the music of the band. The people were really hospitable and friendly. We visited the local primary school and chatted with the teachers and students. After that it was time to turn the boat around and head back to Kumai. Almost like a parting gift, when we had gotten halfway back, we spotted a full-grown wild orangutan on the shore. That was truly the cherry on top!

Right through the trip we enjoyed delicious meals and snacks made in the style of the local cuisine, which we love. There was always a flask of hot water to make endless cups of tea or coffee and cookies, if we were still nibblish. The only bit that was slightly off-putting for me was using river water in the toilet. I knew in advance that that was how it worked, but it was still a little disconcerting. I only mention this because I want to give a very truthful account of our experience. My daughter, who is used to rough living in her job, was fine with it.

When we got back to Kumai, we disembarked and were taken by cab to our hotel in Pangkalan Bun by the guide. All in all it was an unforgettable experience for me and I am grateful to have had a lifetime wish made real.

Date of experience: September 2017
11  Thank Naomi Philippa H
WildOrangutanTours, Owner at Wild Orangutan Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your tour! It is lovely to read that you got so much out of it, and have taken such beautiful memories away with you! Your crew found you both a joy to tour with, and are pleased you were so happy! I'm really glad you got to experience a life long dream! :-)
Happy future travels, and thanks again!
Hannah

Reviewed October 11, 2017

A wonderful bucket list experience. I enjoyed every minute of this trip. I was a 81 year old solo traveler with a very friendly boat crew and a fantastic guide. The food was very good and the boat was clean and comfortable. Nina Yanti was the guide and is a real professional. The only negative thing on the whole trip was getting there. When I left Jakarta I was informed that WingsAIr had cancelled there portion of the flight. I finally made it to Pangklatan Bun and there was Nina waiting for me and I was over 6 hours late. Then on my flight out WingsAir cancelled another flight so Nina went with me to the airport and helped me with rescheduling my flights and then back to my hotel. This was on her day off. Excellent service! Hanna was very helpful in setting up this trip and was always very prompt with email response. I would recommend Wild Orangutan Tours and Nina to anyone wishing this trip.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank jbgolden1

Thank you so much for your great review! I'm sorry you had trouble with your travels before/after your tour, but glad Nina was able to look after you so well! Glad to have helped you tick off your bucket list, and that you've taken great memories of the trip away with you!
Thank you, and all the best!
Hannah