Wild Orangutan Tours - Day Tours
Review Highlights
Wild orangutan tours

This is a much overdue review. We travelled as a family with 2kids then aged 8 and 11 in 2016. I m... read more

Reviewed November 27, 2018
Odyssey720415
Swansea, United Kingdom
Orangutan Journey Tanjung Putting National Park, Pankalanbun

It was a dream come true with Mickey Juanda and his crew! 5 star treatment Linda Niemoller Cape... read more

Reviewed October 4, 2018
LindaN3114

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 4, 2018

It was a dream come true with Mickey Juanda and his crew! 5 star treatment

Linda Niemoller
Cape Town

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank LindaN3114
Reviewed April 10, 2018

The whole experience has been fantastic. Hannah was really helpful when booking, sending detailed information and suggestions for packing. Then all the arrangements for pick up from hotel, to the river cruise, to return to the airport was very smoothly arranged. The river cruise itself was fantastic, we had our own little boat with running shower and mosquito net over the bed on top deck. The food cooked on board was delicious, some of the best we had on our whole holiday, and even had home-made snacks and cold drinks through out the day. Our guide Herman was friendly, knowledgeable and passionate about all animals in the rain forest, and even lent me his long camera lens to get fantastic photos of the Orangutans!

Cannot recommend more strongly for a fantastic trip and so many opportunities to see the orangutans up close. Great value for money and ease with the whole booking process. Thank you Hannah, Herman and everyone!

Megan and Fred.

Date of experience: March 2018
7  Thank Megan W
Reviewed October 16, 2017

Let me begin by saying that my daughter wanted to give me the best experience of orangutans and proboscis monkeys (both of whom I adore) but we had a budget. After going through a list of options we hit on Wild Orangutan Tours because they not only arranged the best possible trip within our budget, but they were super helpful with advance information on what to expect, what to carry, and so on, which made an immense difference because there were no unexpected/unwelcome surprises.

We were picked up at Pangkalan Bun airport by our guide and driven into Kumai from where we boarded the klotok in which we would stay for three days and two nights. We had comfortable mattresses on deck with a mosquito net set up at night. At the front of the boat there were chairs from which we could view the banks of the river, spot birds and wildlife, and take photos. There was a table and chairs for meals. The toilet, which we had to share with the crew, was at the rear of the boat. The crew consisted of the captain and his assistant, as well as a lady to cook our meals, and our guide.

Our guide was wonderful at his job, keeping a shap eye out, and the captain of the boat was most obliging in stopping instantly. As a result we got fabulous photographs of hornbills, kingfishers, monitor lizards, snakes, and proboscis monkeys as well as macaques. On the walk to the first orangutan feeding station (we had seen a wild one on the river bank much earlier in the day), while waiting, we saw a pygmy squirrel, all manner of unusual insects, orchids and trees. When the orangutans came down it was sheer magic. I left the photo-taking to my daughter while I drank in every second of the experience.

The next day, on the way to visit Camp Leakey and another feeding station, we saw a gharial in the river. As we got off the boat and onto the boardwalk, the alpha male was within feet of us, showing off his prowess at tree-climbing and amazing acrobatic stunts! A mother with her little baby were sitting on the boardwalk, again just a few feet away, and the antics of the baby were super entertainment. It was touching to see the close bond between mother and child. We saw the most orangutans at this feeding, enough to satisfy my greed! That night there was a trek into the forest which we decided to give a miss because I was very tired.

Early on the last morning of our trip, we had wonderful views of proboscis monkey families on both banks of the river, more hornbills, kingfishers and other lovely birds. We trekked to the third feeding station and enjoyed a spontaneous comic interaction between the orangutans with one huge chap being a complete glutton. We were then taken to visit Sekonyer Village. There was a wedding in the village and we were invited to greet the happy couple and partake of the banquet, besides enjoying the music of the band. The people were really hospitable and friendly. We visited the local primary school and chatted with the teachers and students. After that it was time to turn the boat around and head back to Kumai. Almost like a parting gift, when we had gotten halfway back, we spotted a full-grown wild orangutan on the shore. That was truly the cherry on top!

Right through the trip we enjoyed delicious meals and snacks made in the style of the local cuisine, which we love. There was always a flask of hot water to make endless cups of tea or coffee and cookies, if we were still nibblish. The only bit that was slightly off-putting for me was using river water in the toilet. I knew in advance that that was how it worked, but it was still a little disconcerting. I only mention this because I want to give a very truthful account of our experience. My daughter, who is used to rough living in her job, was fine with it.

When we got back to Kumai, we disembarked and were taken by cab to our hotel in Pangkalan Bun by the guide. All in all it was an unforgettable experience for me and I am grateful to have had a lifetime wish made real.

Date of experience: September 2017
12  Thank Naomi Philippa H
WildOrangutanTours, Owner at Wild Orangutan Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your tour! It is lovely to read that you got so much out of it, and have taken such beautiful memories away with you! Your crew found you both a joy to tour with, and are pleased you were so happy! I'm really glad you got to experience a life long dream! :-)
Happy future travels, and thanks again!
Hannah

Reviewed October 11, 2017

A wonderful bucket list experience. I enjoyed every minute of this trip. I was a 81 year old solo traveler with a very friendly boat crew and a fantastic guide. The food was very good and the boat was clean and comfortable. Nina Yanti was the guide and is a real professional. The only negative thing on the whole trip was getting there. When I left Jakarta I was informed that WingsAIr had cancelled there portion of the flight. I finally made it to Pangklatan Bun and there was Nina waiting for me and I was over 6 hours late. Then on my flight out WingsAir cancelled another flight so Nina went with me to the airport and helped me with rescheduling my flights and then back to my hotel. This was on her day off. Excellent service! Hanna was very helpful in setting up this trip and was always very prompt with email response. I would recommend Wild Orangutan Tours and Nina to anyone wishing this trip.

Date of experience: August 2017
2  Thank jbgolden1

Thank you so much for your great review! I'm sorry you had trouble with your travels before/after your tour, but glad Nina was able to look after you so well! Glad to have helped you tick off your bucket list, and that you've taken great memories of the trip away with you!
Thank you, and all the best!
Hannah

Reviewed June 26, 2017

You never know what to expect when you go to somewhere completely new and different, especially when you put yourself totally in the hands of a tour company (something we have never done before), but we couldn't have been more impressed or happier with the whole experience. Hannah was incredibly helpful, especially when dealing with some last minute problems at our end before we even arrived on Kalimantan. The boat, crew and guide exceeded our expectations, all were wonderful, not only professional, friendly and knowledgeable but a delight to be around. Think we may have been lucky with the sheer amount of wildlife we saw, but in all honesty I would have been almost as happy just to chug around in the boat for 4 or 5 days, through the incredible scenery. Wonderful time, thank you Hannah and everyone involved on the tour.

Date of experience: June 2017