“Awesome places”
Review of Raja Ampat Islands

Raja Ampat Islands
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Sorong
Reviewed October 21, 2017 via mobile

Its was my dream to be there,i make it reality with my freinds. Good to be here,its breathtaking with a view from island to island. Raja Ampat is beautifull from above till below (underwater)...the local citizen is freindly and kindness..seafood like lobster and coconut crab is easy to find and its cheaper...very recommended place, even its a little bit expensive..

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"hidden paradise"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 11, 2017

Locations located in eastern Indonesia. Charming place of many marvelous sea views and still natural. A great place for diving and snorkeling, with great underwater coral reefs. Here are also have many cheap lodging up to the expensive price.

1  Thank rikijines7
Reviewed August 15, 2017

Raja Ampat is just one of those legendary diving destinations everyone needs to visit. Unfortunately it can be very expensive to stay and dive here, unless you're prepared to rough it and sleep in a local home-stay. It's also a real pain to get to, but then that keeps the number of visitors down. The diving is amongst the best you'll get anywhere in the world. Incredible diversity and very few disappointing dive sites.

4  Thank KGB777
Reviewed August 3, 2017

During my recent trip on the KLM Mari 2, 26th April for 11 days, about 7 days into the trip, having completed a dive, I handed my equipment up to the boatman in the usual way. When I got into the boat – I was the first diver up – I noticed some pieces of yellow plastic on the floor of the boat. I soon realised these were pieces of my octopus. The boatman was unable to explain exactly what had happened as he didn't speak English, but from his attempts at mime, it seems likely that he accidentally dropped a tank directly onto the octopus, given that the plastic was broken as though smashed by a sudden impact.
I brought this to the attention of the owner, Holger. He said my equipment was old and refused to do anything about remedying the situation. I wasn't happy and said that although my equipment was indeed old it was functioning perfectly well before it was broken through his employee’s carelessness. Again, he said my equipment was old and refused to take responsibility for the damage. I found his attitude completely unsatisfactory and unacceptable and when it was clear he had nothing more to say on the matter, I told him I would contact Diviac, the agency with whom I had made the contract for the trip, to make a complaint and seek compensation. He shrugged and had nothing more to say on the matter. All he was prepared to do was rent me replacement equipment for the rest of the trip.
I got in touch with Diviac and after some confusion with a staff member called Alex who had left the company but not passed on pending cases before departing, Manuel dealt with my complaint very quickly and organised a refund for the equipment I was forced to rent and a voucher to part cover repair costs for my broken equipment. Raja Ampat is an excellent dive destination; just choose a different boat to the KLM Mari II

12  Thank 2110jb
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2017

We went to Raja Ampat in end of November 2016. We stayed in Gam island and are very happy for our choice. We can see a lof of birds and can do snorkelling just in front of our homestay Kordiris. Our homestay provides a traditional wooden boat and we enjoyed discovering the mangrove and a nearby lobster farm.

We dived with Enzo and Maria enzomo@libero.it. They are organised, have new equipments, small diving group. Maria is very good at finding small stuff, Enzo knows very well what's the best time to dive at certain dive sites to avoid the liveabord.

The best season to dive there is around november to february (if I remember well) for calm sea and manta ray will come at that period. Every year manta ray don't arrive exactly the same period, we saw them in early December; sometimes they arrive only in January.

For the accommodation, homestay can save you a lof of money but I suppose in the resort you'll have more confort. Most of the places (both resort and homestay) don't have fresh water for shower, the water is slightly salty, so the skin is sticky even after the shower. Good news is Enzo and Maria are helping a local family to build a new homestay and they have a well with fresh water. This new homestay is near Kordiris, you can contact Enzo enzomo@libero.it.

Going to Raja Ampat is always a dream for us. Now there are direct flights from Jakarta to Sorong and there are more affordable homestay, we'll definitely go back!

6  Thank petitpuce