“Staff tried to raise our agreed price, then called 3 men with a machine gun to enforce it.”

Royal Mamberamo Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sorong
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotel is a decent facility, but this review is about the gutless and incompetent staff who tried to raise the price on our reservation by 20%, then called security and police when we refused to pay the increased price. There is also a bonus story of staff incompetence at the end, which could easily have resulted in the loss of my bag with all of my valuables in it.

We booked our stay at the Royal Mamberamo in April of 2013, for January 1st, 2014. We corresponded over email with Ledy Jolanda, the Executive Assistant Manager. The price Ledy quoted us in the email was 1,150,000 IDR for 1 night. When we arrived at 10AM on January 1st, we tried to pay cash immediately. The staff pointed to a sign on the desk with new prices as of January 1st. They now wanted 1,375,000 IDR for the room, a 20% increase over what we agreed to.

I had the printout of the emails with Ledy in my bag, so I pulled it out and showed them. They made a photocopy and asked me to wait until later for a solution. We then received a phone call to our room at about 7PM from the desk, asking us to come down and pay our bill. We went down and asked them how much we had to pay, and they pointed to the sign with the new prices again. It was a new shift of staff, so I again showed them the email printout. They made another photocopy, but didn't care and asked me to pay the new price. After trying and failing to reach their manager on the phone (had New Year's Day off), I told the man that he would have to make a decision and do the right thing. He refused, asking us to pay the higher amount. We got pretty angry and he called the police and security.

So about an hour after it began, a police officer and 2 security men showed up. The security guy had a machine gun on his back. My girlfriend started taking photos and they got upset. So we negotiated with them that we would put the camera away if they'd get rid of the machine gun. They did and we did, so now we could talk.

The male desk clerk stood with the security men behind him and asked me, "Now do you want to pay?" I told him that we'd been trying to pay all day. I then showed one of the security guys the email printout. As soon as he saw it, I could see that he agreed with us. After only looking at it for a few seconds, he started lecturing the desk guy. The police officer held the copy and started tapping it, and also started lecturing the desk guy. They disappeared to a back room for a while and then came back out. The 3 police and security men all shook my hand and said, "I'm very sorry." Then they watched as the desk guy took my money at the price I'd reserved for. I again thanked the security and we all left the lobby.

Now the promised bonus story. I had stayed at the hotel 10 days earlier, before my diving cruise. Somehow in the transport of my bags to the pier, my backpack with about $1,500 worth of valuables in it (electronics, eyeglasses, medicines, etc) went missing. We weren't sure if it had ever left the hotel, so we called them and went back to check. They told us it wasn't there. My bag was eventually found on the wrong island by a nice couple who took the effort to track me down. They told me they found my receipts for the Royal Mamberamo and had called the hotel to see if anybody had inquired about a missing bag and the hotel staff told them no, nobody had. I mean, come on!

This was the worst, most incompetent hotel service I've received in a very, very long time. I'd advise caution if you're going to deal with these people.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank JeffCad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Tangerang, Indonesia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

At First I did not expect to stay in a good quality hotel in Sorong. Since in my imagination, Sorong is not a developed city yet. But once I arrived in this hotel, all my previous presumption changed dramatically. The welcome drink was awesome, and the room as well as the service is above expectation.
One thing missing was they don't have a hair dryer provided in the room.
other than that I enjoyed my stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: some rooms have no window
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cygnus h
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We only stayed in one hotel in Sorong -- for 3 nights in 2 weeks. Most of the rooms don't have windows, and all that we stayed in were a bit musty. Avoid the upper floor(s) as they have Karaoke parties / weddings late into the evening on the top floor that reverberate down through the rest of the Hotel. (<--- This happens often enough that when we told random people where we were staying, their response was "Oh my... enjoy the karaoke!")

Beyond that, the place was pretty clean, the restaurant (both breakfast and dinner) was surprisingly good, and the staff was all very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Avoid the upper floors and the smoking rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The hotel seemed new-ish and was clean with an AC that actually worked. We had the cheapest room without a window but it didn't matter as we were out the whole day. The breakfast buffet has a good selection and the staff were friendly and helpful. I'm not sure how the location suits business travelers so it may actually be good for them. We were in West Papua for bird watching so we would have been better off staying near the airport to access the bemos going to and from Hutan Lindung. Learn from my mistake-book your birding guide in advance! http://www.milestothewild.com/birding-the-sorong-lowlands/ We had to hire taxis by the hour (75.000 rupiah per hour) instead as it is complicated to get around this town and no one seems to have a map. One night would have been enough but we actually had 2 as I didn't want to risk something going wrong with the ferry from Waigeo and missing our flights. Good selection of English tv channels so we weren't bored in the evening.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tikibird
Jakarta
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Royal Mamberamo is the best hotel in Sorong at the time of writing this review. But please keep in mind that you can not compare hotel in Sorong with hotel in the big city like Jakarta.

It is located in the city, a walk away from the ocean (10-15 minutes by foot), with some good restaurants around. The hotel's restaurant serves good international and traditional Indonesian food. Free wifi for guests are available in your room, lobby, restaurants. Hot shower is available, TV cable and fridge are in the room.

Now the down sides:
- Guests are allowed to smoke in lobby (This is a big NO NO for me, but all hotels in Sorong are like this).
- The standard rooms do not have windows (definitely not for claustrophobic people) .
- The room (standard) is a bit small, but enough for you to move around.
- The shower might not be very clean (I am referring to the shower curtain).

If you are staying for awhile and need a cheaper laundry, just walk toward the beach/ocean, few meters from local restaurant called Saiyo, you will find Bintang Timur (on the left side). It is only a small space, where you can left and pick up your laundry. The laundry place itself is very far away. Please aware that this laundry sometimes close on Sunday.

Room Tip: Ask for room with windows but it is more expensive. If you are a lite sleeper, do not stay on the 1s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank dugong-on-travel
Alberta
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Well the hotel isn't all that bad. There was an extra charge for a room with a window though. The food in the restaurant is pretty good. We were just passing through on our way to a dive trip so were just there 1 night. Service was good and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I've been to sorong many times, and I've tried 6 hotels there. I found that Membramo is the best you can get in Sorong. Compare to other hotel room with similar price, Membramo gives the most clean room and comfortable bath room compare to other.
Breakfast in this hotel is very nice. Much selection than other hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't want to have a room with smoke smell, you could ask for non smoking room. Since som...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sorong
Swiss-Belhotel Sorong
Marina Mamberamo Hotel
TeraAilan Heritage Resort
TeraAilan Heritage Resort
#5 of 5 in Raja Ampat

Been to Royal Mamberamo Hotel? Share your experiences!