“AMAZING!! Family of 5 thoroughly enjoyed it!!”

Pie de Gigante Spanish School
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Tola
More attraction details
Owner description: Pie de Gigante Spanish School offers spanish clases for all levels. The school is located in Playa Gigante, a small fishing and surf village in Nicaragua. We offer classes individually, in groups, and online. Classes are customised to the individual students needs. Homestays are perfect for full immersion and can also be arranged by the school.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

My family of 5 has been staying at Dale's Cool Places to Stay on the beach in Gigante. We are about 100 meters from the school. My wife and I attended private individual lessons and our 3 kids (5,7,9) took a class together. Miledys was our teacher and she was great. My wife and I spent a week with her and had a great time. Our kids like it even more. They would race down the beach to class and come running back with huge smiles every day. A must do if you are spending a length of time or perfect if you are just coming to learn.

5  Thank 163willg
in 6 reviews
"nicaragua"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 17, 2014

I took 4 weeks of Spanish lessons with family homestay and had a great time.

First the lessons.. I had an advanced beginner level when I arrived. Lessons are structured around the necessary grammar lessons, conversations, reading and games. Teachers are open-minded, fun and cultivated, and will happily share their personal stories and the central american/nicaraguan culture with you. Also, they constantly try to find ways to make the lessons more interesting and to make the students interact with each other, we went on walks and even cooked together!

Then the school.. You are taught your lesson with a postcard view in the background. It can be annoying sometimes though when the wind picks up and it's really hot. The school is adjacent to a restaurant so it's possible to order coffees and little treats as your are studying. Wifi is also available.

Finally, the home stay.. I stood with the family of Juan Francisco. The house was basic from Western standard but the best in the neighbourhood. The room had a double bed, a fan, a table and a chair. Showers and toilets are shared with the family. Food was plenty and efforts were made in providing nutrionally balanced meals. It was great to interact with the family, watch Spanish TV with them, eventhough I found it hard to truly connect with them due to the cultural difference and them talking fast. There is no wifi there, but you can always walk to the school which is 15min away.

The other great thing was the town of Gigante itself. A genuine fisher village which has not fallen under the attack of mass tourism (yet), giving plenty of opportunities to practice my Spanish with the locals. You would have to find a much bigger town to find a language school in that part of Nicaragua.

8  Thank Ian M
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I learned to speak conversational Spanish at Pie De Gigante (the giant's foot) Spanish School. It was one of the highlights of my trip in Nicaragua.

Where is do you have Spanish lessons, virtually on the beach with sand under your feet and the waves crashing in the background, which of course could be distracting, you could not ask for better surroundings to learn Latin American Spanish!

Juan the Director of Studies and Manager is friendly, approachable and knows early on what level you at and will tailor your course accordingly. The workbook is an excellent resource covering more information than is included in class. They have some books available for you to borrow and use in your own time.

I took two weeks of one to one lessons, 15 hours per week or three hours each morning Monday to Friday. I felt this was enough for me, allowing plenty of time to practice in the afternoon and evening with the locals.

All the professors were excellent, they do not speak much English so you are guaranteed to only be speaking Spanish for the duration of you lessons, which is hugely important.

My own teacher was Anna, who I cannot thank enough for her tuition, sense of humour and also her patience with an easily distracted student such as myself. She made me look forward to going to Spanish school!

Mama Ling, the owner and cook at the restaurant, where the classes take place is the best cook in Gigante. Try the Huevos Revueltos or Desayuno Typical!

Buenos Suerte!

7  Thank Simon L
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I spent three months in Gigante. For the first six weeks I took Spanish lessons with Pie de Gigante Spanish School. They also organized a home-stay for me. By taking Spanish lessons, living with a local family and staying in the community I was able to learn an astounding amount of Spanish in very a short time.
I am so grateful for the help, assistance and friendship of Juan and the others at the school. They were extremely helpful and friendly and made my stay an amazing one. I cannot recommend their services enough.
Also, this is a school run by Nicaraguans and with a local Nicaraguan staff, so by signing up with them you will be helping to empower the local community directly, which is so rapidly changing by our presence there as tourists.

Muchas gracias Juan, Evelyn, y todos los que hicieron que mi tiempo en Gigante era increíble.

12  Thank Anna S