1. The beach and the sights are amazing. The scenery's tranquility is only interrupted by the crash of waves and the singing of colorful finches. The cliffs very cool and there are tons of places to walk. If you want to surf give it a shot, but be careful as the tides can become quite violent. Also, I have never seen more stars in my life. I believe I counted 5 shooting stars in one night.
2. Biking around the immediate area is recommended if you are adventurous. They need to get new bikes (the ones they gave us were old and did not work well at all). There are a ton of very strange, but quite excellent looking mansions around the area. There are also some of the poorest, but nicest people you'll ever meet. (do speak Spanish)
3. The food is so-so. Some meals were splendid and some were quite lacking. There are few options for vegetarians. Drink lots of Tona (which is a beachy, crisp lager full of flavor)
4. The lodge and the Cabanas are flat out awesome. Well constructed, each cabana affords amazing views of the foamy surf. Often times the horses will feed just outside your room affording some great pictures. While we were there we had them move the main bed to the second floor (northern cabanas). The outdoor showers is very cool also. The rooms are quite clean and very comfortable.
5. The service is very good. They are obviously new at the whole resort game, but they work very hard to please you. At times they seemed terrified.
6. Walk the nature trail. While it comes to a dead end, it is cool to see what they were originally going for but failed to complete.
7. Check out the hot springs. You'll hang around some locals and the staff of the hotel will make you feel special with tiki torches and wine.
8. Watch out for the turtles. They are ever present and very cool to see.
9. Ride the gentle, well-kept horses. Watching the Sunset on horseback is extra special here.
10. I really would like to know more about this place. It is interesting in the sense there are some plans that were attempted but never completed (the nature trail). I understand this, in parts, is a Swiss owned venture. I would not be surprised at all if this was a front for a money laundering operation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Punta Teonoste Surf & Turtle Resort is an exclusive boutique property located on the southwestern coast of Nicaragua known as the Pacific Riviera.Our spectacular beachfront setting is nestled amidst the quaint, authentic fishing village of El Astillero and Popoyo, Nicaragua’s premier surf break.It is a secluded destination where travelers can experience the beauty of the area, the sounds, the breezes, the wildlife, the local culture and people; all without distraction of the stimuli that has become familiar in daily life.Recognized as one of only four properties in Nicaragua verified by the Rainforest Alliance, our ecological concept resists conventional lodging without compromising comfort and modern convenience.Punta Teonoste remains committed to creating and maintaining an attractive and responsible environment while also preserving the natural beauty of future generations.The chic design merges contemporary elements while respecting and embracing the surrounding nature. The public areas and bungalows also featurelocal art and design influences with some surprising subtle touches of select works representing Nicaragua, Honduras, Panama, Guatemala, Brasil, and Ghana. The result of this synergy and style is a sophisticated destination offering exceptional comfort and relaxation along with a touch of adventure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Punta Teonoste Surf & Turtle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Punta Teonoste, Nature Lodge & Beach Hotel Tola
- Punta Teonoste, Nature Lodge And Beach Spa
- Punta Teonoste Surf & Turtle Resort Nicaragua/Tola