“Surfers Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 5 Tola B&B and Inns
Corolla, North Carolina
“Surfers Paradise”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

If you're looking for the perfect surf trip/relaxing getaway with all around positive vibes and smiles then you've found the right place! This was our second trip in two years with a large group of friends and there's no doubt we'll be back again. We stayed for three weeks and didn't want to leave. The resort is absolutely beautiful, the food is delicious and cheap, the staff is friendly and accommodating and the company is always mellow and polite. The actual layout of the resort is incredible with well manicured landscaping and perfect spots to view the daily sunset over the Pacific. We stayed in the Villas both times while other friends stayed in the bungalows and everyone was happy. If you came to surf you will NOT be dissapointed with an abundance of different waves all within a short distance. Everything from A-framed beach breaks to freight training reef points. Still the best thing about staying here is Philip, Sarah, and Conny who run the resort. These people are incredible! Philip doesn't just help run Buena Onda, we consider him your guide. Not only will he surf with you in the morning, make sure your house is clean, take you fishing in the afternoon and get you anything you need but then he'll cook you dinner and talk story well into the night. He's one of the coolest guys we've ever met with unrivaled stoke and an amazing amount of local knowledge, willingness and capability. He'll turn your "vacation" into a lifetime experience for sure. Hands down, an all around amazing place with everything you could ask for on a trip. See you next year with even more buddies!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed at Buena Onda for 9 days early March 2012 - I can't say enough good things about the place. Affordable, clean, good food and amazing dinner at cheap prices, the dinner specials are amazing, so tasty!!!

The grounds are spacious and the pool is sweet. Located right on the beach, Sentana surf spot is just about 5 min walk - Poppoyo surf spot is about 20 min walk, so it's centrally located to two premiere surf breaks.

The rooms are clean, affordable, and most of all airy. I slept like a baby all night. Even if you're not a surfer I would easily recommend Ondas to anyone looking for a great vacation spot.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank timsw115
Block Island, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I can't write a review that even will do justice to the amazing month I just spent at the Buena Onda.

The hotel property itself is beautiful. You can tell there was a lot of time and thought put into making it so nice. Its a mini resort, with a beautiful pool I spent most of every day reading beside, when I wasn't lounging in the relaxing hammocks outside our rooms. The Buena Onda is the perfect in that it can accommodate backpacking surfers in the dorm room, our super nice and cool America room that slept 3 of us, or villas which are beautiful.

The beach is amazing, so undeveloped you can walk for miles only coming across some surfers and a few locals fishing. The location is remote, so be prepared there aren't a ton of restaurants or shops, but the food was so good at the hotel it didn't matter that much. In addition to the regular menu of burgers, tacos, salads, there is a nightly dinner special which was always great. Not being a seafood eater it was amazing that they would prepare chicken for me as a substitute for just about everything. Magnific Rock down the beach a little way offers another option for beautiful sunset cocktails, as well as great food.

One of the main purposes of this vacation was of course surfing. Not me, but my boyfriend and his buddy. We weren't there in the ideal time for surfing, but had several days where it was going off. The Santana surf break is a quick walk down one direction, and Popoyo break is the other way, a little bit longer walk, but not too far. It was the perfect mix of surf for the boys and the pool for us girls to relax by.

The hardest part about leaving was the great group of friends we made while we were there. We became a pretty tight knit group having family dinners and field trips. I've never stayed in a hotel of any sort that has felt so much like home.

Philip, Sarah, Conny- thanks for throwing the best birthday party I've had in years, letting us watch the Super Bowl, and for everything else you helped us out with during our stay. I can't wait to visit again next year... you might even get Scott and Tuna back in a few weeks, so hide everything breakable ;)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
East Hampton, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My wife and our two kids, 5 and 8, stayed for a week at this friendly, beautifully maintained resort. We started out in the Europa room, but then upgraded to a room with a North-South orientation for more comfortable sleeping. Lots for kids to explore--beach combing, mango picking, great pool. The pool guy brought my kids coconuts and opened them up with a machet for them. Surf was "flat" which means waist to shoulder and the wind is offshore 24/7. Mid-tide to high tide there was always surf. The big time swells roll through April-August. Nice selections of boards to rent.

There is a little school started by an-ex I know about a 30 minute walk away. It is called "Una Escuelita". If you go down, contact them and see if there is anything you can bring them--a soccer ball or a few toothbrushes or art supplies are always welcome.

The place was awesome--I am already planning my trip for the spring of 2013.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms without a bathroom, they face the wrong way for good air flow.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We were at Buena Onda for three days, and I have only good things to report. Conny was extremely nice and helpful, the food was excellent, the rooms simple and clean and the beach and surroundings beautiful. I think the sky at night on the beach was the more star-filled than anything I've ever seen - and I've been to a lot of places in the world. Our kids (ages 10 and 13) loved the pool, which was clean, and the very friendly dogs. We all took surfing lessons from a very nice relocated Californian (who also runs a yoga class there on Wednesday mornings). We also rented bikes from the hotel and rode to town and back. The beach is gorgeous - smooth and flat with few people - and steps from the hotel. We enjoyed lounging int the hammocks and on the comfy wood chairs outside the rooms. The atmosphere is very relaxed. I highly recommend this hotel and this part of Nicaragua.

Room Tip: I understand that the rooms with the windows that face north and south are the coolest. Both of our...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just spent 3 lovely days at the resort. The entire stay was perfect. Location was remote yet very well maintained. The food was exquisite, and my 2 kids (11 and 12 ) had plenty to do with the pool, beach, and skate park. The two dogs ( Marley and Blue Sea?) were great companions. Conny was a lovely host and she made us feel very welcomed. The staff were equally hospitable. A slice of paradise!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Colorado
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My husband and I rented the Oceania room for 4 nights. We REALLY enjoyed the very clean pool! The whole resort was very relaxing, just steps away from the beach. We have been traveling for 3 months and this was the best place we stayed at! The meals didn't blow us away, but overall it was a great experience and I would highly recommend it! Please see our post for more info: http://www.poastravelers.com/2012/01/22/skip-maderas-and-head-north/

• Stayed January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tola
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
#1 of 1 in Playa Manzanillo
Machele's Place
Machele's Place
#1 of 2 in Tola

Been to Buena Onda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!