“Amazing location”
Review of Hacienda Iguana

Hacienda Iguana
Ranked #7 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Tola
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed 4 nights in a two bedroom apartment in Villa Iguana. And the surroundings and the location was fantastic! Wow! It took only one step to reach the incredibly beautiful beach of Playa Colorado and good waves for surfing!
But unfortunately there area has only two restaurants and they are overcharge. And when we arrived to the apartment the shower dident work, which took hours to fix, and the balcony door could not be locked. We also would have appreciated more information in advance, like time for checkin / checkout, was there Wi-Fi (yes but extremely bad), would cleaning be included etc.

Pictures from the beach:

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine E

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We just returned from our visit to Nica. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom villa that sits right on the beach. The views were BEYOND amazing and the hiking was awesome! We did a lot of walking, since we didn't rent a car. We're buying one of the villas, so I suspect we'll have to get a golf cart to use when we're there. The water was super clear and warm. I just can't get enough of that country. Pristine beaches...untouched...I hope it stays that way!

Room Tip: If you're planning on surfing, then stay at one of the villas right on the beach. You're RI...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cyndee M
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The service was excellent, Luisa was always there to help us with our doubts. We spent with my couple two amazing days, in a big, comfortable, and complete house, that had an incredible view. We had the swiming pool and the beach just in front of us for an excellent price! Thank you!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I spent a few days at the resort with my family, we enjoyed the views and beach! We went for surfs out front, Colorado beachie, fun waves. We took a couple trips out to Popoyo and great surs there too. The food at Don Eloys is fine. I would also recommend stopping at Maxi Pali in Rivas to pick up provision and cooking your own food in their kitchen. The pool area is nice and is a great place for the ppl to hang out that do not surf. The place is located far from anything else, it is isolated so do be prepared to only see surfers and golfers. Overall great times and plenty of fun waves through out the region.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank gabo007
Reviewed July 21, 2013

View was great, condo was very nice. Bed comfortable. Kitchen outfitted appropriately. Right next to pool. Beach was virtually empty. Had a fun time watching the surfers, body surfing, shell hunting.... Even found a large Bull Shark tooth! The only downsides were that I left the shark took on the kitchen counter and the next day when the house was serviced it disappeared. I was very disappointed. I was so excited about having found it. After that I was very nervous about leaving anything out - even small things. The only other negative was a loud and obnoxious group that stayed in a unit near ours on our second to last night. Very rowdy group. Otherwise, this trip was awesome. We had a great time.

It takes about 3 hours on bumpy roads to get to Hacienda Iguana from Managua but it was definitely worth it. We played a round of golf and it was empty save for 1 or 2 others. We had fun. It was about $30 per person to play 9 holes, rent a cart and rent some clubs. My son is left handed and they had a decent set for him. The right handed clubs were a bit worn but we were only having fun so it didn't matter.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SashaO2
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had a very bad experience. Upon our arrival we found out that the Golf and Beach Club near the cabins had been closed. We were supposed to walk about 1-1/2 km to the only restaurant near the reception area for our three meals. The girl who was at the reception made everything possible trying to obtain a golf cart so we could use but she had no success. We decided to leave.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Rufino G
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife, daughter and daughter's friend stayed 8 nights @ the condos, the development about 300m from shore - http://bit.ly/10vaEyh (google maps link), three three-story condo buildings w/ a pool in-between. I think there's a bit of confusion here because there are the condos, the villas (near shore to the north of the Playa Colorados beach) and various VRBO etc private rentals.

I booked before reading reviews and would have done so had I read the negative reviews here. I'm glad I booked, glad I went. The facilities were good, everything that was promised, service was good, and the manager, Marcel Diaz, was very diligent about making sure we were treated right.

Our condo had everything we needed, good cooking facilities, good AC (it's *hot* there), working washer/dryer in the condo, bbq on the porch, everything attended to as we needed. Marcel went the extra mile for us --- my wife is a fantastic chef, but all provided cutlery was dull. I asked for a sharpening stone, and instead of providing one they took the knives, sharpened them and had them back in 1 hour. We needed a second key, they didn't have one so they changed the lock to one where they did have a spare. We had near daily cleaning service (mondays off, Easter holiday Good Friday off), great given the fast accumulation of sand and dust.

If you want a place to put surfboards etc securely, ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor condo. We had lots of toys and tossing them on the porch securely was grand.

I'd only fault the place for not being right on the shore, location is right on the golf course, nicely quiet and mellow, pool is excellent. The area doesn't have much shopping but you can get everything you need in Tola, 25 minutes away. There *aren't* many resources if you don't have a car, no convenient place to eat, etc. The area is gated so we felt very safe w/ two 16 yr old girls able to wander to the beach etc on their own. There is a 'beach club' space about a kilometer away at the south end of Playa Colorado with a pool and shaded verandah, nice place to hang. Internet was $20 for 15 days/2gb (used up in 3-5 days w/ two 16 yr olds). Water $3/5g jug of distilled drinking water. Otherwise pretty much everything included. They do a careful inventory on arrival and departure, charged us $5 for one broken wine glass, that was fair enough.

The surf is *really* good, consistent, and if the wind is too much, bring kiting gear and head over to Lago Nicaragua. We kited out of Lamar Lake Resort in perfect conditions, a very friendly but rather sad place that needs someone to start a kite school at. Kiting in the Pacific here would be dodgy, wind usually directly offshore or at least side offshore so dodgy unless you hire a boat support or are very very solid and not going it alone. For surf resources, there's a great shop, NSR, that rents gear (we brought our own, paid > $325 round trip for board luggage charges), arranges whatever you need (don't know how prices are).

My advice to you is to go, book, but also in case some of these negative reviews are legit, get in touch beforehand and make sure they know you are a discerning customer. I used skype to call Augusto Montealegre, had a good conversation, told him I had concerns about these negative reviews, wanted to walk away with a good review to write, and he promised me that all would be as promised, that we would be pleased, or they would give us our money back. They delivered as promised, and I'd go back.

Room Tip: If you want a place to put surfboards etc securely, ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor condo. We had lots of...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tedcheese
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tola
Aqua Wellness Resort
Hotel Punta Teonoste
La Jolla Hotel
La Jolla Hotel
#1 of 1 in Popoyo

Been to Hacienda Iguana? Share your experiences!