“Uninterested owners”
Review of NAD-Lembeh Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bitung
NAD-Lembeh Resort
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bitung
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Uninterested owners”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We just came back from Lembeh. We liked the diving and the food. The owners however didn't do anything to make it the best stay for their guests. The were more interested in construction that was taking place and their parents who were visisting, then in their guests. They joined the dinner with the guests, but always arrived later and had special dinner prepared for them. At the table, they did never ask how we liked our stay of diving so far (we stayed for 5 days).

The construction that was taking place, was annoying.

The roofs of the rooms and bungalows are make of aluminium of something like that, which makes a lot of noise due to fallen branches and rain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hrvds
NAD-Lembeh, Owner at NAD-Lembeh Resort, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to make a review, even if it seems to be more about a personal issue with me than a resort review.

I feel that i must take umbrage with what you have written here. Yes, my parents were visiting and yes we did eat with them (isn't that what families do when they visit?)- and actually, almost everyday we all sat down at the same long table with all the guests – most often than not, the only seats left for us to occupy is at the opposite end of the table than you. There have been times that my wife and parents have also sat next to you and your 2 kids during meal times. We always eat the same food as available to our guests, to say that we do not is a plain lie (just like the guests we have certain dietary requirements for foods we do not eat – I do not eat certain fish).

All guests are entitled to bring their own food and snacks with them and are free to share them with whomever they please, if it upsets you that my family brought cheese, gin and other treats with them which they shared with me and not you then unfortunately i cant help you with that (not eaten in the restaurant).

Arriving late for dinner - running a small resort often means you have to eat at unusual times. We also make a point of ensuring that all of our guests visit the buffet before we do, in most circumstances this is considered polite.

We have to maintain the resort, all work is carried out during dive time and typically in non guest areas. This is something we have to oversee so does take a lot of our time. Refitting our diveboat several hundred meters from the resort area meant I could not be at the resort much, but my wife was almost all day.

My wife was talking with you about your 2 young kids, the food and the diving - and also did fish ID at the end of the table you were sat on several evenings. I was busy helping another guest with malfunctioning photographic equipment a lot of the time, which i understand improved his stay quite a lot.

Our Office Manager, Linda, also spent many occasions trying to talk with your children when they were left alone whilst dad played with the ipad or mum went snorkelling. So i think to say that our team does nothing for the guests is also very untrue. I also saw my diveteam helping you with your rental equipment on an almost daily basis, and other than asking your children not to play with expensive fish ID books whilst they were unsupervised i think that every service your family needed was taken care of.

I am sorry that you feel that you did not get the attention that you needed – between overseeing the operations of the resort, and assisting some other requests from other guests, I do try as much to spare an equal amount of time with all guests, as do my wife and the whole team and NAD Resort.

Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Worcestershire
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were recommended to go here by a friend who had been several times and we were not disappointed.
We were met by Simon and his wife Zee with cocktail and a pile of photography equipment he had kindly sourced locally for us. Our kit was taken to our bungalow and we were made to feel really welcome. The bungalows are a little more expensive but well worth it for the view and extra privacy.
The staff were really friendly, courteous and helpful, making the stay there fantastic. The food was wonderful, different every day for two weeks and really good, very authentic not too westernised.
But you really go for the diving, and most people go to take photos/videos. The advice and support you get from Simon and Serge, the manager, is impeccable and you never feel you are asking a stupid question, although I'm sure I asked a few. Take advantage of their expertise and your images will improve dramatically.
Lembeh is our favourite place to dive and we would go back to NAD Resort like a shot. The diving is fabulous, but that is due to a combination of wonderful, unique, spellbinding creatures and the dedicated dive guides whose extraordinary eyes find them for you. Everyone we spoke to could not praise their dive guide highly enough, they were all fantastic, always trying to find those 'special' critters on your wish list. Indra really took care to ensure our trip was as good as it could be.
NAd Resort is not, and does not pretend to be a 5 star resort. What you do get is 5 star service, food and diving, wonderful staff and great memories.
Thanks to Simon and Zee for a memorable trip, we hope to return very soon.
Godfrey & Karen Pitt
Tenbury Wells
England

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow, fab views and more private.
Captain Cook, HI
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We just got back from a fabulous dive trip to Indonesia. One of the high points was staying at NAD in Lembeh Straits. Simon and his beautiful wife facilitated all of our arrangements (sending a driver to Manado to bring us to the harbor, where the NAD boat was waiting to meet us), and answered each and every one of my many questions! The Dive Resort is located on a small island with a village on the opposite side of the mountain. Never did we have more than 4 people with our dive guide. In fact, often there were just 3 of us. Our dive guide, Stanley, was awesome. The man is like Superman: he can find microscopic bits on a piece of algae or under a grain of sand. Obviously, the muck diving in Lembeh is world famous but the entire experience at NAD made it even better. The food was very good, the presentation was excellent, the staff was always kind, helpful and friendly, and the location is perfect. Simon has worked out an excellent system for divers and photographers: there is a 'wet room' and a 'dry room.' There are plenty of books for ID.... or you can Serge (the dive shop manager) or Simon if you're too lazy to look it up :-) Simon keeps a purified water cooler in the main building where you can always fill up, and there's always fresh fruit out for the taking. You won't be hungry! I especially liked that we were able to extend our bottom time according to our dive computers. The crew is very careful to check the tanks after each dive, and you know that you are being looked after. Everything is done for you: all you need to do is show up at the boat. There are 4 dives a day, if you like. Each and every one is great. I never had anything less than a perfect dive. The night dives are also amazing. I would suggest renting one of the Bungalows. They are very spacious and have great views. There are smaller rooms right on the water but we preferred the larger bungalows. Well worth the extra $. All in all, I would highly recommend NAD. It's a very good value, a fabulous place, and the diving is world-class for sure. ** There is free Wi-Fi in EVERY room!!!!! I was amazed. Never expected it in such a remote location. Questions? Let me know.

Room Tip: The Bungalows are really nice. Plenty of room. Wi-Fi is everywhere so that's no problem.
3 Thank ScubaSue49
Bangkok
Reviewed April 28, 2012

very friendly, comfortable resort. Good foods.
All dive leaders and staffs are awesome.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mukda T
barrindp
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The positive experiences of Nad-Lembeh started on arrival at Manado Airport - just outside was the car and driver waiting for me with a sign (not novel or new - but nice to have it working).

Simon, Zee, and Serge are an amazing team that have developed the fine art of making everyone feel special and important in a very quiet and understated way.

As I was setting up my camera equipment - and they saw what I was shooting with they made subtle changes to their plans to ensure that I had a great experience from guide choice (experienced ant finding the really really really small stuff (shooting Nikon D3S, 105mm, 1.7 tele and diopters), dive sites and buddies - and this care and consideration continued for the two weeks I was there. We had a large group come along - so they set up 2 long tables - well one short and one long so that everyone was catered for.

As a solo dive traveller - I appreciated the long table dining - and the indonesian food provided was fantastic.

The dive boats are large and stable, camera room well suited to the task.

This is a dive resort run by UW Photographers for Divers - and it has everything you need. I also saw that Simon Zee and Serge are always making improvements to the resort.

I have never taken so many great images on dive trip - let alone on a single dive - Two weeks was a great amount of time for me - and I am certainly planning and looking forward to going back! Was made to feel a welcomed guest in a friends home.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank barrindp
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Simon has made a lot of great improvements to NADS since we were last there. They have 2 new bungalows & the patios added to the other accommodation were great. The food was fantastic & nothing was too much trouble, being a great fan of Indonesian rendang Curries they managed to squeeze another onto the menu by our request before we left. We will definitely be returning in 2014, the prices are very competitive & much cheaper than other resorts but customer service is not sacrificed. The dive guides were all brilliant & very friendly. Simon & Zee are brilliant hosts & very friendly & the long table dining means you mix with other guests for a chat. I would have no hesitation in recommending their place to anyone thinking of muck diving!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
Reviewed April 7, 2012

There now are 12 of these dive resorts [not hotels] in Lembeh, because the small underwater critter diving is fabulous--if you have the right dive masters. Stanley was the right one, as are all the others at NAD. The British owner Simon has assembled a great team working for him, from the lovely local gals who serve the delicious food [best Tuna in Indonesia] to the helpful staff who repairs your dive gear [thanks Surge!]. Simon gave me the KITAS discount because I work in Java, and he and his lovely wife were prompt on answering all my emails. The late night pick-up at the Manado airport was flawless. I have over 600 dives, but 5 days of Macro diving was new to me, and Stan the Man found many new species for my dive log; well done! NAD is for divers, and the other guests were serious ones from Europe, Australia, USA, and Asia. The ocean view rooms are OK, like 3 star, but you are paying to dive. The family style eating table means you will meet many new friends--and discuss your underwater pictures: everyone takes their underwater cameras. Great trip--Yes, we'll return to NAD!

Room Tip: If you want the best rooms take the cottages on the hill directly above the ocean view rooms.
1 Thank Terry A