“Great Service and Very helpful manager”

Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Bitung
Singapore, Singapore
“Great Service and Very helpful manager”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

i stayed in the resort in Nov 2013. The resort is clean and i opted for the basic room without air-con and cold water shower. Even though it was the cheapest accommodation available, the view was magnificent. The food at the restaurant was fantastic and everyday there was a different menu. Staff at resort were helpful and polite. Most importantly, they were accommodating and went the extra miles to meet customers' needs. A important note, the staff seem to enjoy working in the resort and they sing and dance and there seems to be a genuine party mood. The Swiss manager was very attentive and patient. The dive guides and dive crews were experienced and helpful. Well done! Keep it up!

Room Tip: if you have weak knees light mine please choose the lowest accommodation.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Excellent hospitality and very friendly team of staff lead by the resort manager Thomas.
Room is great. Aircond, hot shower and comfortable bed.
No problem with the food. 24 hours snack and coffee available.
Diving is excellent. Very good visibility.DM and crews are great and helpful.

Room Tip: Get the room facing the sea. You get a very nice view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Bastianos is a real good place to stay and dive the muck of the Lembeh straight. Management and staff are very welcoming, helpful & friendly. The diving centre is well run with good guides with superb eyes for the macro stuff. We rented the diving gear: it's all good, well maintained and safe. Food is good, the pool has a stunning view, so do the bungalows and (standard) rooms. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Let's make it clear, the rooms, food and location of this resort are great...but I had to rate it badly for the lack of professionalism concerning the dives and most of all, their scuba gear which was in very bad condition. My friends and I stayed 3 days in the resort and had issues with scuba gear the 8 times we dived: dysfunctional pressure gauges, leaky tanks, leaky/foamy masks, damaged wet suit...etc. When we mentioned that to the resort manager, he did not care much and actually wanted us to pay full price for the dysfunctional scuba gear...In conclusion, DO NOT GO THERE IF YOU HAVE TO RENT YOUR SCUBA GEAR !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sanchez81
Bastianos D, Manager at Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi there, I was quite shocked to read this review until I realised it was september last year that you visited us, some 9 months ago
I am the new manager of Bastianos Lembeh as of november last year, and can alleviate any concerns people may have regarding this post by saying we have changed our whole equipment (BCD, regs and wet suits) since I have taken over
Sorry you had a bad experience with us in the past though
Manado
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at Bastianos in June. The managers Dave and Lauriane went out of their way to ensure we had a great time throughout our trip, and all the staff we met were really friendly. The accommodation is really nice, clean rooms with amazing views over the bay, really comfortable beds and I loved the bathrooms. The food was excellent, a mix of Indonesian and Western food and served with a smile! It's location is brilliant, close to some incredible dive sites and of course the diving is top class. The restaurant has views over the bay and there's a swimming pool where you can chill out after a dive. I would definitely recommend this resort if you're looking for somewhere friendly, relaxing and world-class diving. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Loved the place - its beautiful and well run. Dave the resort manager is great!!!

I wished I could have stayed there for a week.

The diving was splendid - but only if you are interested in macro stuff. But this is what Lembeh Straits is famous for. If you want to see pygmy seahorses, hairy frogfishes, nudibranches, bluering octopus, decorator crabs and all the assorted variety of tiny creatures - this is really the place to be.

I found the resort to be really nice, well built and designed and decorated. Love the hand made solid wooden furniture - even opening the drawers brings out a pleasant sandelwood or camphor fragrance. There was also a lovely outdoor pool overlooking the bay.

I went in late February and there was only two other divers there. This mean that you don't have to "share" the Dive guides with other divers - and you can more personal attention. I found my dive guide - Steven - to be really helpful and eagle eyed. I was continually amazed by what he could find.

Resort wise - I really liked the place- I found it a a very calm and tranquil environment. Bring along some books and perhaps a travel computer loaded with movies to watch.

Probably the only thing missing was... more fresh fruit. The dooku/loong kong (looks like a small potato - flesh texture like that of a grape - has a sweet or sweet/sour taste) season was on - and it would have been lovely if the resort had purchased the fresh fruit from the local village for us to eat. I brought some along the way there but the young kitchen staff placed them in the freezer and ruined them.

It would also have been nice if the resort had an in-house masseur. They did have one but she was only there during the day.

Anyhow I'd go back there again - the next time for a week.

Room Tip: Choose the room with a sea view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Yauming
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights, 2 full days diving.
I read various review about this resort. I chose this resort simply my prefered reasort were not available for short notice of my last minutes trip.
They arranged the pick-up service from the airport, the worst driver ever, I could smell alcohol from his mounth which keep talking while driving - he said he drink a bit to celebarte new year; and no drunk - which was not true, many times I had to warn him to drive carefully.

The resort itself was nice, clean, with beautiful garden and nice pool, probably located in one of the best location on Lembeh island.
I booked the standard room, since the room was not ready when I arrived, they upgraded to bungalow for one night only; they next day I moved to the standard room.
No coffee maker in the room, no complimentary water, and no soap in the room, I asked to the receptionis - need 3 reminders and took 8 hours just to get the soap, which is a whitening beauty soap. Probably her own soap.

Food was not bad, but nothing special. Wifi reception in the standard room was intermitently.

Diving in Lembeh is always good for macro lovers, and they have Opo - the most experienced and probabaly the best dive guides in Lembeh. Without him, I will rate this resort below lembeh average.

If managed well, Bastianos can be one of the best resort in Lembeh, but not this time

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank wisnu315
Bastianos D, Manager at Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that you had some bad experiences at our resort
I totally agree that having a driver representing Bastianos and being under the influence is completely unacceptable, unfortunately in this instance all our drivers were on leave being you arrived late at night on the 1st of January, which is a big celebratory evening in Indonesia. We hired a private taxi to pick you up from the airport and of course had no idea this man had been drinking and after hearing this news we will not be using him again
We don't have any kettles inside our rooms but we do offer 24 hours self service tea and coffee in our restaurant and drinking water is available from our dispensers also 24 hours a day. We give a water bottle to each guest upon arrival, which can be refilled throughout the day. Being divers we all know the negative effect plastic is having on our seas, so here we try to minimise the unnecessary pollution by reducing the amount of bottles we use
Maybe you'd like to know also that as of the end of january we took a new, experienced, chef in the kitchen
I'm glad to hear though that our guide did what they do best and that you liked our resort and it's surroundings
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bitung
Lembeh Resort
Lembeh Resort
#1 of 2 in Pulau Lembeh
Eco Divers Resort Lembeh
Novotel Manado Golf Resort & Convention Centre
DABIRAHE Dive, Spa and Leisure Resort (Lembeh)
Cocotinos Lembeh, A Boutique Dive Lodge
Onong Resort
Onong Resort
#2 of 46 in Manado

Been to Bastianos Lembeh Dive Resort? Share your experiences!