“Real value for money, perfect setting”

Gardenia Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Tomohon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Absolutely beautiful setting in a large, well-tended garden (organic vegetables included), with comfortable cottages and friendly, easy-going service. On a sunny morning, the view of the Lokon volcano is stunning. The restaurant is excellent. The staff are receptive to any and all requests, and offer good suggestions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were disappointed from the start, as Gardenia failed to live up to expectations given the prices they charge... Impressive selection of flowers all nicely labelled, but a little soulless somehow, and chalets too close together if the place was busy... But we turned up at lunchtime midweek to find the place empty and nobody doing anything much, least of all managing their newly arrived customers!

It was as if we caught the whole establishment napping: rooms not made up as requested, slow to bring the 'welcome drink', slow to resolve the issues over beds and unwilling to make any concessions, lunch terminably slow to come and then different to what was ordered - half the basics on the menu not available - no chicken noodle soup and a one-hour wait for a bowl of plain rice in Indonesia!?

Everything was a little too difficult - cars not available, no ball for the table football table, it felt like the place was run for maximum profit with minimal effort and training by the staff...
We hope things would improve on the second day, but they didn't - no worse really, just more of the same... The owner was friendly and keen to suggest sights to see, but otherwise there was no sense of giving value and service for the money that you pay!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed December 15, 2012

An upscale hotel in Tomohon with a magnificent well maintained garden The staff is friendly and helpfull. You stay either in a chalet or in a larger bungalow. Gardenia serves great food, you start the day with a extensive breakfast (included). Dinner is really worthwhile, the restaurant seves dishes in Minahasan style (their vegetable dishes can compete with the very best restaurants). If you plan to stay in the Minahasan highlands for a few days than Gardenia Inn is a great option.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Gardenia Country Inn is located in Tomohon, a city in the highland with 800m above sea level of North Sulawesi, with a pleasant climate and volcanoes surrounds the area. This is a family owned and run resort that offers much comfort, warmth and hospitality.
It is about an hour drive by car from Manado city which is situated near to the numerous reefs of Bunaken National Park, where you can find some of the best diving in the world.
Always eat at the Gardenia Country Inn each time I visit friends in Manado and it was the first time I stayed 2 nights and 3 days…Just feel so comfortable here. This resort is known for its magnificent gardens and breathtaking views. The chalet unit I stayed in is spacious and clean and I like the separate sitting room where you could spend lots of reading time in the peaceful quietness and make your own coffee and tea. No airconditioning here…just the natural refreshing coolness….
There is an outdoor Restaurant overlooking the Lokon mountain…the food is excellent because of the freshness of the vegetables and ingredients which all come straight right from their own gardens….and the table BBQ is very good here….and there is also a good selection of local cuisine and salads that is always so deliciously well-prepared. The staff is attentive and helpful.
This is indeed the perfect place for a most memorable vacation, enjoying, relaxing and chill in beautiful natural surroundings of tropical flowers and plants, birds and butterflies…..

Room Tip: Chalet units on the far end are quieter...enjoyable walk to the restaurant and main building....
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne L
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a warning to all tourists who plan to book a stay at the Gardenia Country Inn, Tomohon, Indonesia.

I made a booking at Gardenia for a 3-week stay ahead of my visit to Manado on a planned 2-month stay in May-Jul 2012 to shoot underwater photographs of Manado’s famed reef walls, muck dive sites, and of the Tangkoko nature reserve.

Gardenia asked me to pay a USD600 deposit, equal to 50% of the total room bill to secure the room! Ordinarily, I would not have agreed as that is a very heavy commitment to pay upfront but because I was informed it was the high season, I obliged and handed over USD500.

As it turned out, I was able to take the photographs of the nature reserve without needing to stay at this highland resort. As such, I gave them more than two weeks’ notice to cancel my booking through the manager of the dive resort in Manado where I was staying. I was assured by this manager that it was not a problem to get a refund because even he thought it was a very reasonable request, given the ample notice.

I left it as that but still did not get my refund from Gardenia even until the day I was supposed to depart for Singapore. That was when I realized that they had no intention to refund me any of the deposit I made! This really made me upset as I would not ordinarily have placed the deposit, especially one so large. Most establishments world-wide would at most charge a night's bill for a no-show, and usually only if fewer than a couple of days’ notice is given.

Despite several attempts to contact them by e-mail, all I got from them was one e-mail saying that they could postpone my booking by a few months. But I told them it would make no difference as I was going to be drafted into the army by then. I argued that perhaps a 50% deposit might not be that bad if one planned to stay just a couple of nights but not for someone planning to stay for 2 weeks or more. I did not hear from them from then.

Whats more ridiculous was that they didn't even allow my parents to stay there in my place when they travelled to Manado & Tomohon in July, despite the USD500 deposit that has been paid.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We enjoyed our 2 nights 'off' at Gardenia Country Inn. We had a great time as we enjoyed the beautiful gardens, the lovely & helpful people and the great and fresh food.

Our first evening we were surprised by a 'table BBQ'. Fresh meat & vegetables (special plate was made for the vegetarian. Very toughtful!) were served and we were able to prepare everything ourselves.
The next morning at breakfast we were surprised by a King Fisherman's bird, who was catching its breakfast at the pond in front of the restaurant.

This is really something to go to if you want to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.

Thank you for having us!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Reception with afternoon tea on the large veranda of the hotel. Friendly reception.

Room divided in bedroom and "dayroom"with table and couch. Tea and coffee available. Fresh flowers from the garden on the table. Television was carried in immediately (unfortunately the antenna was no good).
Friendly staff.
Good bed and shower. Bathroom simple but clean.
Much attention for details.
Outside veranda on both sides of the room where you can sit and enjoy the water and garden plus when lucky a view on Lokon Emping volcano (which we saw erupt!!).
Unfortunately the rooms are very very noisy if you have neighbours.

Also excellent food, well prepared and tasteful. We stayed for three days and really did our best to always be there for dinner!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tomohon
Four Points by Sheraton Manado
#4 of 10 in Tomohon
Leos Hotel
Leos Hotel
#3 of 10 in Tomohon

Been to Gardenia Country Inn? Share your experiences!