Gardenia Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Tomohon B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is a warning to all tourists who plan to book a stay at the Gardenia Country Inn, Tomohon, Indonesia.

I made a booking at Gardenia for a 3-week stay ahead of my visit to Manado on a planned 2-month stay in May-Jul 2012 to shoot underwater photographs of Manado’s famed reef walls, muck dive sites, and of the Tangkoko nature reserve.

Gardenia asked me to pay a USD600 deposit, equal to 50% of the total room bill to secure the room! Ordinarily, I would not have agreed as that is a very heavy commitment to pay upfront but because I was informed it was the high season, I obliged and handed over USD500.

As it turned out, I was able to take the photographs of the nature reserve without needing to stay at this highland resort. As such, I gave them more than two weeks’ notice to cancel my booking through the manager of the dive resort in Manado where I was staying. I was assured by this manager that it was not a problem to get a refund because even he thought it was a very reasonable request, given the ample notice.

I left it as that but still did not get my refund from Gardenia even until the day I was supposed to depart for Singapore. That was when I realized that they had no intention to refund me any of the deposit I made! This really made me upset as I would not ordinarily have placed the deposit, especially one so large. Most establishments world-wide would at most charge a night's bill for a no-show, and usually only if fewer than a couple of days’ notice is given.

Despite several attempts to contact them by e-mail, all I got from them was one e-mail saying that they could postpone my booking by a few months. But I told them it would make no difference as I was going to be drafted into the army by then. I argued that perhaps a 50% deposit might not be that bad if one planned to stay just a couple of nights but not for someone planning to stay for 2 weeks or more. I did not hear from them from then.

Whats more ridiculous was that they didn't even allow my parents to stay there in my place when they travelled to Manado & Tomohon in July, despite the USD500 deposit that has been paid.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Andrew L

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We enjoyed our 2 nights 'off' at Gardenia Country Inn. We had a great time as we enjoyed the beautiful gardens, the lovely & helpful people and the great and fresh food.

Our first evening we were surprised by a 'table BBQ'. Fresh meat & vegetables (special plate was made for the vegetarian. Very toughtful!) were served and we were able to prepare everything ourselves.
The next morning at breakfast we were surprised by a King Fisherman's bird, who was catching its breakfast at the pond in front of the restaurant.

This is really something to go to if you want to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.

Thank you for having us!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Reception with afternoon tea on the large veranda of the hotel. Friendly reception.

Room divided in bedroom and "dayroom"with table and couch. Tea and coffee available. Fresh flowers from the garden on the table. Television was carried in immediately (unfortunately the antenna was no good).
Friendly staff.
Good bed and shower. Bathroom simple but clean.
Much attention for details.
Outside veranda on both sides of the room where you can sit and enjoy the water and garden plus when lucky a view on Lokon Emping volcano (which we saw erupt!!).
Unfortunately the rooms are very very noisy if you have neighbours.

Also excellent food, well prepared and tasteful. We stayed for three days and really did our best to always be there for dinner!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Spent a blissful 2 nights and three days here. The grounds are amazing, very well kept, exuding a sense of peace everywhere you go. We were in a large bungalow, which included a large bedroom area as well as another room that was a sitting/eating area with a fridge. Closet, desk, night tables, electric outlets. There was also an outdoor porch with chairs. Our room was very clean. Flush toilet, hot water. Friendly helpful staff, though English is only spoken by the owner and a couple of employees. Laundry service. Towels and blankets provided. Excellent restaurant, lots of vegetarian choices. We paid about $83/night.

This was probably our favorite place to stay during our month traveling in Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AndyouandI
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ideal place to calm down - keep in mind that it is in the countryside.

Good: Excellent, excellent mouthwatering food. Lovely people. Nice garden. Lovely views on the volcano. Wireless internet. Calm.

Bad: Little light in the bathroom.

Room Tip: take the cottages on the very top of the garden.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kugelfingergecko
Reviewed June 4, 2012

During a hard naturalist trip in North Sulawesi me an my group had the last stop before back to Manado at this wonderful, amazing hotel. The huge, well maintained garden with nice bungalows, a good level restaurant and impeccable service from nice crew and a helpful, polite and very friendly owner. Definitely 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angiud
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This was one of our best experiences we had when we visited Sulawesi in February 2012. Beautiful place, Service with a capital S and really really nice food. Below full breakdown of our experience, hope it is of some value to u..!

Booking/Price
As it was low season, we had the place practically to ourselves, which made bargaining for the price worth our while. At first we got a $100 per night deal, but after a phone call we managed to book for 500000 Rp per night, which was quite a nice price for this kind of place. We also booked an airport pickup with them for 300000 Rp, which was overpriced, but well arranged.

Stay
Our driver was right on time and after an 1 hour drive we could check-in at the central villa. We were welcomed with nice (fresh) banana fritters and tea, a really nice gesture and examplary for our stay here. We were placed in one of the bungalows on the central part of the grounds. A spacious dark wooden bungalow, with nice ammenities like good WiFi, Sat TV, good bathroom, fresh fruit, complimentary drinking water, and a seperate living room. No aircon in our bungalow, but this wasn't a problem as it's a pleasant (cooler) temperature in Tomohon at night. The garden really stands out, it is very well maintained and has loads of different varieties of plants - all with nametags. Also the lovely view on the active volcano (Lokon) is very nice

The food was really very nice, the owner told us that they have hosted several gastronomic events in the hotel, and you can tell the chef is very experienced. We had the local fish in a very refined spicy sauce (among other dishes) and also the homemade pastry is excellent.

Things to do
We hired a driver/guide (whom we met when walking around Tomohon) for 500000 Rp for a full day, which was a lot cheaper then what the hotel offered. I will review this tour soon (very nice) There are several things to visit - various hot springs, lake Tondano, lake Linow (sulphuric green lake), hike to the mahawu crater (+crater lake) and the tomohon market.

The whole staff goes out of their way to make sure your stay is pleasant. from assisting us with booking our flight to makassar, to the afternoon tea with sweets, free fruit/pastry dessert, it's the small things that really make Gardenia Country Inn stand out.

So all in all, I would definitely recommend Gardenia Country Inn to anyone who enjoys a relaxing stay, great food and great service!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThePASSenger96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tomohon
Aryaduta Manado
0 mi away
Candlenut Treehouse
Candlenut Treehouse
#2 of 4 in Tomohon

Been to Gardenia Country Inn? Share your experiences!