“jungle trek /tour guide, bukit lawang -Indra”

Sumatera Tour Guide
Ranked #33 of 56 Tours in Bukit Lawang
Bristol, United Kingdom
“jungle trek /tour guide, bukit lawang -Indra”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and i have spent a lot of time in Bukit lawang over the years and this year we took our three chIldren to experience the amazing jungle, wildlife and culture that bukit lawang has to offer. when it comes to trekking in the jungle we obviously needed a guide that could be relied upon to keep our children safe and had extensive knowledge of the jungle and wildlife .Our guides name was Indra (sometimes called mandra!) and we chose him because not only is he a licenced guide but is also employed as a ranger for the local national park and so has an extensive knowledge of the jungle and wildlife. i cannot recommend him highly enough ! Indra was a fantastic guide and took such good care of our children (aged 15, 11 and 7) his knowledge of the jungle and wildlife was extremely impressive and he made our trek an unforgettable experience, hes also a really nice guy! i would like to recommend Indra as a guide, he can be found in the permit office/information centre (where all the rangers are based and where tourists permits to enter the jungle are obtained) or you can find him on facebook (his facebook name is tengu) his email address is indra.bktlwng@facebook.com OR indratarigan65@yahoo.com i believe he offers treks from a few hours to 6 days or even more if you are feeling adventurous and he can also organise trips to other tourist attractions in the area e.g.tangka han (we would definitely recommend a trip here to ride/ wash the elephants etc)

Visited June 2013

Vancouver, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Orangutans in Bukit Lawang - trekking guide recommendation”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently spent four months in Indonesia, travelling as a solo female, and I loved it!! especially North Sumatra and Kalimantan. I'm more of a jungle girl than a beach girl, and I definitely found paradise. Beautiful.

I love animals, and have a special place in my heart for the orangutans, so I spent as much time as possible trekking and taking in the wildlife. It's a dire situation for them and I love to see as much as I can while I can.That said, I just want to advise of the guide I used in Bukit Lawang.

I know there is some talk of a few irreputable guides and such, and unfortunately some of the stories are true, and you do have to be careful. But there are also many good guides, in fact, most of the guides are competent and will look after you, but take your time, don't feel pressured. Talk to people and get some recommendations.

One problem is that there are often more guides than needed for the numbers of tourists, so they really have to compete for the business, and some will do things that aren't appropriate to try and get to the tourists first and/or while on the treks to try and get the tourists closer to the wildlife, which is really a big no-no.

Be wary of guides who will charge less than the fees set by the guide association. You will get what you pay for. It's not expensive, and considering the work they do, especially on the overnight treks, the fees are very reasonable. I spent a lot of time in Bukit Lawang, and heard it all, from uncertfied 'guides' getting lost with their tourists, for days without supplies, being found and rescued by the certified guides, to cutting costs by supplying very little food, while the group at the next tent is having an amazing feast. The fees you pay, also cover the food and depending on group size, a porter, a camp porter/ cook, etc. A guide who slashes his price is likely not bringing any help or adequate supplies.

Some guides also fish for big tips by doing things that are not acceptable. It's important, if you care about the animals, to just go and look while trying to cause as little disruption as possible. Feeding them, making noises at them, getting too close, leaving debris behind, all these things are big no-no's but unfortunately some guides allow it and partake in hopes of big tips.

I saw these things happen, but I was very happy with my guide. He was very responsible and knowledgeable (could basically smell the monkeys well before seeing them), I saw loads of animals, more than I could have hoped for. I went on a number of treks and my guide followed all the rules, he never allowed any litter, even organic, to be left behind, and he was very good at looking after the trekkers... the longer treks can be quite difficult, especially if it's raining, and he carried a full medical kit (which came in handy for me with the leech bites!) and he was also very attentive at the camp, provided great food and kept a good boundary between the tourists area and the porters area (there have been reported issues of money and such being stolen from the tent.. ). My guide was Robet Tuex, and I certainly recommend him. His # is +62-812-609-98236. He can also be messaged on facebook at Robet Tuex.

Happy Trekking!