“Jungle Trip!”

Indra Valley Inn Bukit Lawang
Ranked #4 of 24 Bukit Lawang B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2013

It was my first time in bucket Lawang, and in a Jungle!
the place was recommended by my friends who live in Jakarta, we met in Medan Airport and then took a car for a 4 hours drive to Bukit Lawang!
after reaching there we the hotel staff welcomed us, took our bags and then we had to walk to the hotel, it was at night, so we went directly up to our rooms, and hearing the river i knew i am up for a surprise view in the morning after.. and hell i was right, the view from the room is amazing, and the hotel is chilled, great food, amazing Chai Tea, live music on weekends, random guitar sing-a-along every night.
the guides are very hippy, i knew this used to be a hippy destination back in the 1970's and you can feel that hippy relaxed culture. it reminds of Ras shitan in Nouibaa (Sinai) same vibes.
the guides are super friendly and cool, we went on a one day trek to the jungle, and it didn't feel we had guides with us, they were more like our local friends, they were enjoying every single moment just like us! and they are not money oriented by any means, on the contrary, obiwan arranged everything for us from airport pickup and drop off, the jungle trek, a car to our next destination, and we only paid him right before we left.
My experience in the jungle needs a separate review, but the hotel is highly recommended, and i am definitely going back next year with more friends!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I endorse most of the positive things being said about this place, yet I admit I have mixed feelings. The people in charge, Obiwan and her wife, were attentive and accomodating at all times. Their willingness to help, as usual, made the difference. They organized our jungle trek which we enjoyed partly, as we discovered we were not fit for what they called a "medium level of difficulty" which rather seemed a high one to us. Like with most of the local guides I have met in Indonesia in my four trips to this country, I would not rate the ones we got in Gunung Leuser as the Most Knowledgeable. Talking about the rooms, the most important issue was the presence of mice in the two rooms we tried, and which made our nights quite unpleasant. We could hear them in a clear way all night long, and we can confirm the most critical areas were the toilets in both rooms. I guess that's what there is when you are in a basic construction in some jungle areas. We won't ask for a compensation for that (will forgive them for the loss of our delicious home made cookies, but not for the hole in our backpack) but sorry, living with rodents is not necessarily fun for everyone.
As a positive criticism,and since I think there is always room for improvement, I would encourage the ownership to work on the levels of cleanliness and tidiness of the place, especially in the small garden area. I personally do not accept excuses such as "it's Indonesia, you have to cope with it..." or "you are in the jungle, what can you expect for 10$..." Garden Inn is just next door, and there is no garbage or dirty stuff to be seen around, which makes the whole place look totally different.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank Francesc A
Reviewed August 17, 2013

When I arrived at the lodge I was greeted by the owner. He immediately made me feel welcome and showed me my room. Great view of the river. Very basic setup but comfortable.
The downstairs area was laid out very communal like and afforded everyone the choice of socialising or not. On the weekends there were some outstanding music being played by all and sundry!
I decided to sign up for the Three Day Trek.
It was a small group and we set out early the next day.
It quickly ( well, within 4-5 hours) became apparent this was no stroll in the park!
Maybe it was my age ( 59), my lack of finding out exactly what the trek involved or just the way it was but I was firmly out of my depth at times! I'd like to think I am somewhat fit but this was a testing time...albeit enjoyable.
We saw and had contact with 17 orang-utans on the first day! All the guides were extremely experienced and damn helpful.
Unfortunately I fell at several points and twisted my knee rather severely. I took the course that I would not continue the next day. They arranged for me to go back with the porters via the river path. The guys who were with me were absolutely great! They put up with my slowness and continually asked if I was ok. The pace they set was was pretty much set by me but they were happy and helpful at every stage!
When the rest of the group returned the next day I was informed that I had taken the correct action by not continuing! One guy ( 48 years old) thought his heart was going to burst from his chest so...
Everyone was extremely professional and were all looking out for us. They did not come across as a money orientated company but one that truly cares for the forest, the animals who reside there and the people they are charged with taking care of. I can not speak highly enough of them all. A guy named Angga was especially helpful to me but to single out any one person is a bit unfair. ( nonetheless....)
There are quite a few places along the river and they all can arrange treks.
I would always highly recommend Indra Valley. When I ran into 'difficulties', they were there to make sure I was fine. As an aside, I have ben back for several months and continue to have therapy on my knee. I expect to recover fully in, hopefully, 8 months time. If it wasn't for their care and attention, I'd hate to think what condition my knee would be in today! Thanks guys!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank tlime53
Reviewed August 15, 2013

They organized our trip to bukit lawang forest, we trekked all day through marvelous landscapes and even watch wild orangutanes! At night we stayed at a tent and a cook prepared a very good dinner. The day after you return in some kind of tubbing which is very fun. I would really recommend it.
In this place they have a restaurant were they prepare the best nasi goreng.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank maga123
Reviewed June 1, 2013

A friend had recommended this place to me for both a place to stay and to organize a jungle trek, so I didn't really look at what else was available, and was super happy with my stay and jungle trek (I saw an orang-utan, thomas leaf monkey and gibbon - so how can I complain!). The accommodations are rustic (only $10 US/night) and basic, but I found the room (and bed) super spacious and comfortable, plus you get to fall asleep listening to the river rush by (AMAZING!). The food was delicious, the staff were really friendly and the jungle trek exceeded expectations (the guides pack a lunch and snacks for everyone). They can also arrange a tourist bus from Bukit Lawang to Berastagi ($10 US) or straight to Danau Toba for you which is great.

The bonus is every Saturday night they have a jungle jam and play live music at the Inn (pretty much everyone in Bukit Lawang plays the guitar :), so it's great fun and worth staying. As a random tip: be sure you come with as many clean clothes as you can, the air is really moist and things just don't dry very well, and you get very sweaty on the jungle trek! Best to do laundry at the next stop :).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Megan_Tasker
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was a nice and cozy location by the river. Rooms a bit small but clean but needs a bit of dusting and there's a hint of musky smell. They need to change the fluorescent light bulbs in the rooms and the bathrooms as I CANNOT see anything with it. Nice and polite staff as always in Indonesia

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Desiree M
Reviewed April 16, 2013

$10 rooms basic but comfortable, and what do you expect if you're in the jungle thats what your there for right?. The atmosphere was really good extra good if you're into music and play guitar or sing. The whole village is really friendly, and trekking was amazing with the two main guys at indra Ucok and simon. Recommend them %100, these two guys were onto any bit of rubbish you may have left or anyone else had making sure the environment was left the way it was down the the last watermelon seed. Very very fun overnight trek if you bring your sense of humour. Bukit Lawang a must see and do

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple