“My time at Indra Valley”

Indra Valley Inn Bukit Lawang
Ranked #3 of 27 Bukit Lawang B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2013

When I arrived at the lodge I was greeted by the owner. He immediately made me feel welcome and showed me my room. Great view of the river. Very basic setup but comfortable.
The downstairs area was laid out very communal like and afforded everyone the choice of socialising or not. On the weekends there were some outstanding music being played by all and sundry!
I decided to sign up for the Three Day Trek.
It was a small group and we set out early the next day.
It quickly ( well, within 4-5 hours) became apparent this was no stroll in the park!
Maybe it was my age ( 59), my lack of finding out exactly what the trek involved or just the way it was but I was firmly out of my depth at times! I'd like to think I am somewhat fit but this was a testing time...albeit enjoyable.
We saw and had contact with 17 orang-utans on the first day! All the guides were extremely experienced and damn helpful.
Unfortunately I fell at several points and twisted my knee rather severely. I took the course that I would not continue the next day. They arranged for me to go back with the porters via the river path. The guys who were with me were absolutely great! They put up with my slowness and continually asked if I was ok. The pace they set was was pretty much set by me but they were happy and helpful at every stage!
When the rest of the group returned the next day I was informed that I had taken the correct action by not continuing! One guy ( 48 years old) thought his heart was going to burst from his chest so...
Everyone was extremely professional and were all looking out for us. They did not come across as a money orientated company but one that truly cares for the forest, the animals who reside there and the people they are charged with taking care of. I can not speak highly enough of them all. A guy named Angga was especially helpful to me but to single out any one person is a bit unfair. ( nonetheless....)
There are quite a few places along the river and they all can arrange treks.
I would always highly recommend Indra Valley. When I ran into 'difficulties', they were there to make sure I was fine. As an aside, I have ben back for several months and continue to have therapy on my knee. I expect to recover fully in, hopefully, 8 months time. If it wasn't for their care and attention, I'd hate to think what condition my knee would be in today! Thanks guys!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank tlime53

Reviewed August 15, 2013

They organized our trip to bukit lawang forest, we trekked all day through marvelous landscapes and even watch wild orangutanes! At night we stayed at a tent and a cook prepared a very good dinner. The day after you return in some kind of tubbing which is very fun. I would really recommend it.
In this place they have a restaurant were they prepare the best nasi goreng.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank maga123
Reviewed June 1, 2013

A friend had recommended this place to me for both a place to stay and to organize a jungle trek, so I didn't really look at what else was available, and was super happy with my stay and jungle trek (I saw an orang-utan, thomas leaf monkey and gibbon - so how can I complain!). The accommodations are rustic (only $10 US/night) and basic, but I found the room (and bed) super spacious and comfortable, plus you get to fall asleep listening to the river rush by (AMAZING!). The food was delicious, the staff were really friendly and the jungle trek exceeded expectations (the guides pack a lunch and snacks for everyone). They can also arrange a tourist bus from Bukit Lawang to Berastagi ($10 US) or straight to Danau Toba for you which is great.

The bonus is every Saturday night they have a jungle jam and play live music at the Inn (pretty much everyone in Bukit Lawang plays the guitar :), so it's great fun and worth staying. As a random tip: be sure you come with as many clean clothes as you can, the air is really moist and things just don't dry very well, and you get very sweaty on the jungle trek! Best to do laundry at the next stop :).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Megan_Tasker
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was a nice and cozy location by the river. Rooms a bit small but clean but needs a bit of dusting and there's a hint of musky smell. They need to change the fluorescent light bulbs in the rooms and the bathrooms as I CANNOT see anything with it. Nice and polite staff as always in Indonesia

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Desiree M
Reviewed April 16, 2013

$10 rooms basic but comfortable, and what do you expect if you're in the jungle thats what your there for right?. The atmosphere was really good extra good if you're into music and play guitar or sing. The whole village is really friendly, and trekking was amazing with the two main guys at indra Ucok and simon. Recommend them %100, these two guys were onto any bit of rubbish you may have left or anyone else had making sure the environment was left the way it was down the the last watermelon seed. Very very fun overnight trek if you bring your sense of humour. Bukit Lawang a must see and do

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BretandSam
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights in the 100,000 ($10) room upstairs. Good atmosphere, rooms aren't anything special but the view is awesome. They had a fire by the river one night, a few locals playing acoustic guitar and bongos was pretty awesome. On Saturdays they have a band, music goes till 1 or 2 am, it didn't bother us because we were down stairs dancing, but beware if you aren't into that sort of thing - it's right below the bedroom. The food is amazing - we were on the verge of asking for cooking lessons. The all rounder guy that works there, Simon, was a legend. We had a lot of fun, and ended up doing a 2 day trek with him and Ucuk, it was awesome and we saw heaps of orangutangs, monkeys and gibbons.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Samara G
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed for 5 amazing nights here wish I could of stayed longer. The room was clean & comfortable in the best location opened the door to the best view of the jungle. The staff made my stay the best ever we did a jungle trek with Jaka & Ucok local guides and it was my best experience learnt all about the wildlife great guides! Very knowledgeable you must book ure treks with the locals their! Felt so comfortable with them booked a motorbike ride to wash the elephants the next day another great experience!! All the staff back at Indra were so friendly & chilled out each evening we all relaxed by the campfire. We ate here everynight as the food was so good. Ended the week with the local party on the Saturday night really good live music at Indra well worth staying for. We were very sad to leave but they arranged our transport back to medan private car with a/c well worth it. Miss all the guys at Indra & the sounds of the jungle I will definitely be back. This is the place to stay & all the guides here are top notch!!!

• Stayed: February 2013