“Excellent experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bukit Lawang
Green Hill Guesthouse & Trekking
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed there with my husband and my parents for 3 nights, and had a great experience! The guest house is a eco-friendly place, with a river front view, can see different types of monkeys cross the river, it feels so natural and relaxed. The staff are outstanding, they know the area so well, they tailored jungle trekking trips to suit us, helped to carry bags and looked after my mum to go through the jungle. Their coconut milk is really delicious, after my dad tasted it, he ordered another 3 big glasses straight away, if you ever stay there, you must try their coconut milk! We really wished we stayed there for a bit longer, we will definitely go back in the future.

Room Tip: The room facing the river is really nice, it has a balcony as well.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 12, 2013

A great place - made better by the staff. It's rustic, local and a great way to get back to nature.

The rooms are basic, which fits perfectly with the location - allowing to get closer to nature. The key points of being clean and and safe are fully met.

The staff quickly organised us for jungle treks, finding my wife some decent shoes to ware (jungle shoes), and made us feel very welcome. They arranged transport to and from the airport, and also to other local walks and places outside of the main Bukit Lawang area.

Excellent service. Jungle experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Green Hill for 8 days and loved it so much I came back for another 3 days. The guesthouse is more than adequate but it is the staff and the location that make it so outstanding. The staff could not have been more helpful, from meeting me at the bus station to carrying my bags back to the bus station at 4am!! They kept me well entertained in the evening and I think they are the friendliest people I have ever met. It is really worth taking the time to talk to the guys here, they are so kind and are very entertaining. Food was amazing, the view from the restaurant is awesome, I was lucky enough to see an orangutan building its nest whilst having a cup of coffee. The 2-day trek was also outstanding. My guide Baek and assistants Tonda and Aldi were so so great. You'd think after two days of walking my legs would hurt, but no, it was my face from laughing so much and my shoulder from throwing stones at a target for about 2 hours!!! I will be back again without doubt!!

Thank you Green Hill for the best experience so far on my 1 year of travelling.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ameiby1823
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Fist of all, I am aware that Bukit Lawang is not and is not supposed to be a place like many other touristic sites and that you have to accept certain restraints with regards to comfort when going there.
Now I also appreciate that Green Hill is taking a great effort to be an eco-friendly place and that they try to raise awareness about how you should act in order to avoid endangering the orang utans and so on. This was actually the main reason why we even chose the place.

And yet: Rooms are simple, which is fine, but they also not very well maintained. The mosquito nets, for example, are extremly dirty and dangle extremely low over the bed so basically you have it in your face half of the time. Also, the pillows and the mattress smell rather mouldy. Finally, there are hardly any cupboards, rags or other areas where to put your stuff.

Staff is another thing. It is not that they are unfriendly or really inattentive. It is rather that they are stunningly unorganized. If you have little time on your hands and need to organize things, that can be quite an annoyance. It fitted the picture that at the night of our arrival there was a loud party going on at the place, including some karaoke, until one in the morning. If you arrive at 10 pm after an exhausting day, are looking forward to hear the sounds of the jungle whilst going to sleep and want to get up early in the morning for a trek, that is quite a disappointment. As far as I have understood this happening was a rare exception, but when a hostel knows you want to stay for only two nights then you might want to think about telling people beforehand when something like that is in the planning. Instead, no one even bothered to apologise.

The place is admittedly very relaxing as you can hear the river and look at the junlge from the terrace but then I guess you can in very place in Bukit Lawang. And one star is definitely deserved for the food, which is great.

I have written this review without having seen any other hostels in Bukit Lawang from the inside. So maybe what I have just criticised is something that applies to every one of them, which is possible when you come to such a remote and simple-kept place, I suppose. Still, unless you are a lone backpacker looking for some company and with lots of times on your hands, I would recommend at least to compare some places once you are on site. For a romantic weekend getaway from Jakarta, this is by all means not the right place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
noonooUk, Owner at Green Hill Guesthouse & Trekking, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you were not able to discuss your problems with us directly when you were here or perhaps email us for some direct and specific response to your issues. I will do my best to respond to many points you have raised but it is difficult to be specific as we do not know your identity or when you visited us.
We appreciate that some of the mosquito nets are getting a little old and are due for replacement, we do actually have new ones so you could have mentioned this issue at reception and our staff wpuld have changed it for you. Also...we realise that in hot and humid climates the bedlinen needs to be properly aired and dried, if not it can get mouldy. As far as we know, and i have just myself personally checked, the bedlinen is clean and fresh...and no other guests have give similar feedback.
I have to say that we are very suprised you found our staff unorganised, some specifics would make it easier to respond. Perhaps you are referring to organising a trek? Our manager is extremely competent and very orgqnised, even in this extremely busy high season where we have several treks each day everthing is going well.
Every guest house has a guitar and there are some very talented local musicians. Once guests have finished dinner they often enjoy listening to the guitar and sometimes having fun and joining in. We are sorry that you were disturbed by this.
As to green hill being only for solo backpackers looking for company... We have a very wide variety of guests staying with us from families, to couples, tour groups, solo travellers...so the comment in this respect is unfortunately difficult for us to agree with.
Once again, we thank you for your feedback and always encourage our guests to speak with us onsite so we can rectify any issues. Happy travels from the green hill team.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great value if you are looking for nature and animals close by!
We stayed for 4 nights (one of them in the junglecamp) in the treetop bungalow, with a really nice overview to the jungle wright across the busy river beneath us.
We saw orang-utans at breakfast the first morning, just across the river, and every night we met new animal friends just outside our balcony.
The rooms are just what you need, shower is definitely cold and sometimes not that much water, but that's a part of the experience.
A big thank you to our jungleguide "Darwin" from Green Hill, who really adjusted to our pace and made shore that we saw a lot of animals on our trekking. As a formal animal keeper I appreciate the idea that we are visiting the animals in the jungle, trying to see them as wild as possible and not disturb them. We saw other guides rooming around and feeding the apes to make them come closer, meanwhile we where going slow and quiet, so quiet that a peacock actually scared the s-t out of us when we got so very close.
Amazing experience, one of my goals, check!
Everything else seems to be said about food, personnel a.s.o. Just great, that's it.
If you are looking for warm climate, warm people, nature and a bit of a challenge, go Indonesia and Green Hill for the eco-thinking!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Siv och Åke
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed for 3 days in early June, along with friends and our two daughters. Accommodation is basic but good value and the showers are bracing but fantastic in the heat. All the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed the food and the porridge at breakfast time is amazing.
Andrea is a great and interesting host, with fantastic knowledge of the ecology issues in the area.
We only took in a half-day trek as with children of 5 and 6 a longer trek was not possible. The guides made it a really special day for the 2 girls, from making crowns from leaves, to face painting with ochre.
We take away some very special memories from Greenhill and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed in Green Hills for 4 nights. Location is great, you are 5 minutes walk from the jungle. As you would expect (location and price) the accomodation is basic but things work. Staff is very friendly in particular the owner, Andrea, who also was very friendly in helping us to organise trekking and transport.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family