“A Gastronomic Surprise”

Ranked #4 of 52 Restaurants in Cleckheaton
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hello and a very warm welcome to The New Pack Horse at Moorside, Cleckheaton. We're a freehold local pub and restaurant offering a warm welcome and a cosy, relaxed atmosphere. Whether you're looking for somewhere to enjoy a few drinks with friends or a great place to enjoy some wonderful home cooked food you've found the right place. Our well equipped bar offers a great choice of beers, wines and spirits - including real ales (if real ales don't tickle your fancy maybe our extensive cocktail menu is more your thing) Food wise everything is prepared from scratch, using the best local ingredients we can get our hands on to provide an excellent value menu full of popular British meals, lighter bites are available at lunch time and on Sundays we offer a full roast with all the trimmings.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have visited the New Pack Horse on 3 occasions since we purchased our intial Groupon voucher & the food has been consistently good each time. The food is freshly cooked with quality ingredients and well proportioned. They offer something a little different to the usual pub grub, with good value for money.There is also a great slection of drinks on offer. We felt a little let down this time as they were very understaffed, despite having a number of tables booked and the Manager was running the bar as well as taking food orders and waiting on. A couple who had not booked were actually turned away and i think this would put alot of people off trying it again. We had to wait a while to order, as did a few others but once we had, the food was delivered in good time and was not disappointing, although i didn't get any veg when last time i had the same meal - i did. With the right staffing levels this could be a great regular place to eat and i think the chef does a great job.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We visited in August 2013 on a Groupon deal.

First impressions excellent, I phoned to book a table a few days prior and the gentleman who took my call was very friendly and efficient.

Upon entering the pub, we were greeted in a friendly and warm manner, given our drinks and shown to our table where we chose our meals. I opted for the bruschetta and roasted peppers, and my husband chose the black pudding to start followed by the sea bass, with a side order of chips.

The bruschetta was presented I would describe "cafe style" with some slightly garlicky bread with sliced tomatoes and a slightly strange tasting pesto (which was more like a basil mint sauce). There was a large side of iceberg lettuce and chopped fresh peppers, which was overwhelming. The black pudding starter was similarly presented, and my husband commented that there were too many flavours on the plate.

When the mains arrived, the presentation of the dishes was so different that we could have been dining in two different places. The sea bass was very nicely presented, and looked "gastro" pub, whilst the roasted peppers looked uninspiring and didn't taste particularly nice. The sea bass however was very good, but the best part of my meal was the side of home made chips which were delicious.

I debated over whether to rate the new pack horse as three or four stars, and decided that on the weakness of at least two of the dishes I had to opt for three stars. That said the service is excellent, the beers available were lovely and the chips were great. Clearly some of the dishes are superb but others I could not describe as good pub food, which is a shame. If the vegetarian dishes were to the same standard as the non-vegetarian ones I would have rated it higher.

The restaurant is clearly striving to improve and I would consider returning to try out some of the other veggie options on the menu. I would definitely go back for real ale and chips!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We have eaten here three times now, and after our visit last night, I felt it only appropriate to pass on how good I think this place is.

Each time the food has been wonderful, filling, tasty, home cooked, and beautifully presented. The menu reflects both good pub grub, but also has some lovely meals but very reasonably priced, but last night I was staggered at just how much food I got, and the value for money which it represented.

On previous occasions, I have had the sea bass and the pan roasted forestaire chicken, both excellent, but last night, I wasn't particularly hungry, and ordered a sandwich: Hunter's chicken with smoked bacon and a Highland Park whiskey glaze. For £5.95 it came in a soft ciabatta around 10" long, and with a pile of home cooked chips to feed a family of 5. There was a salad with it too. I almost cried that I couldn't finish it.

I must also compliment the bread my wife had with her starter, a roll of bread which was by far the tastiest bread I have ever had. It was beautiful.

It's a great little place to go. The food is lovely, really lovely, but there are a few little things that add to its appeal. There is a small outside play area, and they will give you a call if the kids are playing. Fresh orange juice is 50p a glass. That's right, fresh orange. They do a range of fine beers, all as the same price you would find in any pub. No £4.00 plus a pint.
The chef comes and has a word to see if you're enjoying the food. A nice chat too, not a "everything ok, bye" and not ten minutes; a nice little chat, amuses the kids, a nice touch.

It was quiet the previous times we went, but last night it was busy, and I can only see it getting busier with such lovely food and keen prices. I would go sooner rather than later, we will!

2  Thank Howard W
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Today the four of us, all 'ladies that lunch' went to The New Pack Horse. Little did we know that we would enjoy ourselves so much. We don't usually venture far from Huddersfield for our lunches, but the Groupon deal was too good to miss, we are so glad we bought it.

We were welcomed with a smile and made to feel really at home. The food was excellent and cooked fresh. We all had fish and 'real' chips, and sticky toffee pudding 'to die for'. The service was spot on, attention by the staff could not be faulted. We would recommend to anyone as a very friendly and good food restaurant. thanks

1  Thank 4lunchtimeladies
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We visited today and used our Groupon meal. The food was perfect! I had creamy garlic mushrooms and beef stifado which was gorgeous! My partner had chicken tikka and belly pork and he enjoyed his too! A real bargain at £11! Our two year old son had a garlic bread side dish as a starter and a childrens burger and he ate all of his too! There's a lovely play area outside for children and the pub itself is lovely! We will definitely return!