“First time - won't be last! Lovely!”
Review of The New Pack Horse

The New Pack Horse
Ranked #3 of 47 Restaurants in Cleckheaton
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hello and a very warm welcome to The New Pack Horse at Moorside, Cleckheaton. We're a freehold local pub and restaurant offering a warm welcome and a cosy, relaxed atmosphere. Whether you're looking for somewhere to enjoy a few drinks with friends or a great place to enjoy some wonderful home cooked food you've found the right place. Our well equipped bar offers a great choice of beers, wines and spirits - including real ales (if real ales don't tickle your fancy maybe our extensive cocktail menu is more your thing) Food wise everything is prepared from scratch, using the best local ingredients we can get our hands on to provide an excellent value menu full of popular British meals, lighter bites are available at lunch time and on Sundays we offer a full roast with all the trimmings.
Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We decided to try here as it's a real ale pub plus great reviews. We weren't disappointed! Beer seemed ok- I'm currently not drinking as pregnant- but very picky grandad thought it was nice!
Food (steak and ale pie) was lovely!
If anything we'd have liked more choice of less fancy meals but very happy with what we picked!
Staff were very friendly and helpful too!

There are newer reviews for The New Pack Horse

Reviewed October 26, 2012

You must visit for a meal. Friendly, helpful landlord. Four of us ate, all the dishes served were delicious. I had the creamy chicken (a blackboard special!) I would happily recommend. Prices reasonable, in fact . . good value for money. We will be back, am talking about it to friends.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Booked a table for four here for the first time. What a pleasant surprise, choice of real ales was very good,the service very attentive and the food was fantastic.two of us had the haddock which was fresh and beautifully battered, the creamy curry was excellent as was the chicken. A great addition to the local area, we will be back.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We gave the New Pack Horse a try following the good reviews on Tripadvisor and weren't disappointed. The food was freshly cooked, hot and tasty and the service was attentive. The prices were fair, and importantly the restaurant was warm and cosy (some places you go to are quite cold). I went with some of my friends for a catch up, and we were looking for somewhere local, with good food which wasn't too expensive - the New Pack Horse fitted the bill perfectly.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just returned from Sunday lunch, we'd gone to the New Pack Horse following the Trip Advisor reviews and it's top of the shop ranking.
What can I say? I think I had such high expectations that it struggled to live up to them - it was good and I will go back - they're a great team of local people who really try hard to do a good job. This is a long and brutally honest review - it's not meant to put you off.

We had starters of potato skins - these were £3.95 (half the price of a Sunday lunch) and whilst they were OK, for me they lacked any real flavor and were quite bland. My partner had bruschetta which she enjoyed the topping but felt the bread should have been warm. We had to ask for salt - which is exactly what we got - had to ask for the pepper at main course...

For mains we had 2 x Sunday lunch - great value at £7.95 - choice of 3 meats ham, chicken and beef. I had all 3 and they were good. The veg was a bit of a let down - chantenay carrots were just a bit too rustic for my tastes - stalks and the stringy bit should be removed in my mind (I know not everybody agrees) and the broccoli was over cooked.
My partner had sea bass (£9.95) - she enjoyed it on the whole, although just 1 fillet was served making the dish either too small or poor value depending on your view. She had some of the veg to make it a decent meal but overall it was well cooked and the sides were well matched.

We finished with puddings (£2.95ea) - apple pie was bought in rather than home made, the chocolate fondent was straight out of the microwave but again was good.

Just a note on the service / surroundings - the table just appeared a bit empty, prehaps a table cloth / runner or some place mats would have helped. Salt and pepper should be on the table and for me, asking if you want any sauces with your meal somewhere between the starter and the main course is the wrong time - I like to look at the plate before deciding. The young waiter tried hard but didn't know the difference between my 3 meats dinner and my step-daughers' 2-meat dinner - telling us "I don't know which is which..." He also asked if we wanted a gravy boat only to forget it and we had to ask for it part way through the meal.

The bar was well stocked with a great selection of continental beers and local real ales - prices are sensible and service was top notch.

I guess you could read this and think I didn't enjoy it which would be wrong. I hope this feedback will help the owners understand my views on what works and what doesn't. Afterall I'll be going back and it'd be nice to see some of it taken on board. We're professionals in the hospitallity trade and sometimes notice things others don't but we're strong supporters of local businesses and would like to see them do well.

The number 1 rating on trip advisor is a bit over rated - The House in Scholes is by far a better restaurant but at £60 per head compared to £17 here you'd expect it to be. Keep up the good work New Pack Horse - see you again soon.