Sunset Del Mar Resort(Esterillos Este)(Great Value!)
$132
$99
Hotel Playa Bejuco(Esterillos Este)(Great Value!)
$97
$66
Pelican Hotel(Esterillos Este)(Great Value!)
$116
$79
Hotel Delfin Playa Bejuco(Playa Bejuco)(Great Value!)
$65
La Dolce Vita(Esterillos Oeste)(Great Value!)
$79
$67
Beso del Viento(Parrita)(Great Value!)
$88
$83
$81
$80
$78
Encantada Ocean Cottages(Esterillos Este)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsplunge pooloutdoor showercosta ricamanuel antonioprivate gardenrestaurant staffhotel is beautifulthe wait staffcouples massagetotal privacybright colorsopen airrented a carrainy seasonpeaceful placeblack sandocean front
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed at Xandari at the same time as the reviewer who called this "Scamdari" and I cannot believe we were at the same resort (so don't listen to him--maybe he doesn't want the secret out about how great this place is). I booked based on previous reviews, which were almost 100% great, and I cannot agree more. The Villas are beautiful--the air conditioning worked fine in ours--we had #4, which I loved! I did see the Maxima Villa, which was also beautiful, so I can't imagine what the ridiculous bad reviewer was talking about! The art, mosaics, flowers in the room, the bathroom (so much fun, with a mosaic shower, opening to the outside), the sliding glass doors and porch on the beach were a feast for the eyes, and the very welcome complementary snacks...were only enhanced by the absolutely delicious, fresh and reasonably priced food in the restaurant, the beautiful beach, hammocks, and finally, the lovely, accommodating staff. I had high expectations based on the past reviews, but Xandari exceeded my expectations nonetheless. We easily visited Manuel Antonio park and Quepos, and Carrara National Park, as well. I was happy to have chosen Xandari over the Manuel Antonio hotels. But, like the other reviewers, I agree, it was hard to leave the beautiful property. Sheer relaxation and perfection! (the beach is grey sand, and there is some undertow, but my teens did fine and loved the beach)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank sanfran58
Reviewed April 14, 2009

The rooms at Xandari Pacific are huge, beautiful, colorful and filled with unique architectual details and original artwork. The food is fresh, natural and healthy. We really enjoyed the pools, both for lounging and swimming. The gardens are overwhelming! We saw wild red macaws and iguanas right outside our villa.
This is a perfect romantic getaway, only two and a half hours away from San Jose. The staff is very friendly and attentive, they made us feel welcome. The hotel is right on a long, uncrowded beach perfect for long walks and boogie boarding.
Sunsets are fabulous, and after dinner we enjoyed a lovely evening listening to the sound of the waves on our own villa's porch. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sophia3
Reviewed April 9, 2009

If the air conditioners at Xandari actually worked, it might qualify as a three-star hotel. But the four-stars they claim and the five-star price at this sweat farm would not be justified if the room came with its own snow machine and a lifetime supply of Freon.

When my wife and I arrived at our glass-walled villa, we simultaneously broke out in an immediate, but persistent sweat, such that we spent the first half hour trying to find the magic A/C “on switch” that would take the room’s climate to a level at least commensurate with the weather outdoors. But no dice. We had to go outside, where it was more than 90 degrees, to cool off.

When I asked the hotel reception for help, the manager, immediately let me know that, “It’s never been a problem. Nobody has ever complained,” a not-so-service conscious reply to a guest asking about anything in a four-star hotel, but highly dubious in this case (nobody has ever complained it was hot in your glass walled beach hotel in Costa Rica?)

I bit my tongue because who wants to spend their honeymoon arguing with a combative hotel manager? But in the name of posterity: when we entered the room, we found the thermostat control redlined at its 50 degree minimum with the plastic cover wrenched halfway off its hinges. It looked like generations of prior tenants had been clawing at it, pleading for it to just cool the hothouse off, even for a minute. Maybe they passed out before they could call. Or maybe the phones didn’t work either.

The manager put some people to work on the air conditioner, and welcomed us to “upgrade” to what she called the Maxima Villa. She said Maxima was thirty percent bigger than the beachfront ultra plus we had reserved. It was a little hard to believe the room she called Maxima was bigger because it lacked the separate bedroom of its predecessor and, well, it just felt a lot smaller. Of course I might have been suffering a heat-induced breakdown in my capacity to judge big versus small. But even now ,days after I’ve cooled off, I cannot help but notice that our version of the Maxima Villa was somehow missing the giant personal pool advertised on the hotel website beside the caption “Maxima Villa.” In fact, it looked exactly like picture of the room one step down from ours. Hmm.

But enough about the weak facilities and scary service. In terms of amenities, the hotel was also an a par with those normally associated with hourly rates. The kiddy sized “plunge pool” in our first room was filled with leaves, the beach was grayish black, the water muddy, and warnings abounded: Don’t swim alone, don’t swim when the tide is going out, don’t swim without a good pair of shoes (the stingrays will get you) and don’t venture into the riptide zone beyond ankle depth (unless, I suppose, you’ve got a life raft, a flare gun and no plans for the next 5 years).

If you are married to the Playa Esterillos area, there are more comfortable and affordable hotels within a half mile of Xandari that feature real air conditioning and even in-room color television sets. I took a walk to one, and on the way a local expat actually laughed at me when I said I was staying at Xandari. That hurt.

But if you are actually looking to spend a Xandari-load of money (or a little less, actually) you can stay at a kingdom of luxuriant excess like Gaia or Villas Caletas. They may not be on a beach, but the friendly, professional staff in both those places will happily shuttle you to a beach where you can actually swim, shoelessly and without fear of spending the rest of your life talking to a volleyball named Wilson. And they’ll even pick you up when you’re ready to head back to your well-appointed, air conditioned palace of a room.

20  Thank staycool1000
xandaripacific, Sherrill & Charlene Broudy, owners at Alma del Pacifico Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2009

As owners of Xandari by the Pacific Resort, we and our dedicated staff do everything possible to provide an enjoyable and inspiring experience for every guest. We are often overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and appreciation expressed by our guests ... for the ambiance, staff, architecture, landscaping, and total experience. That has made all of our efforts worthwhile.

Of course we are saddened by such a display of bad will coming at us. But fortunately the most kind and positive comments from our other wonderful guests make up for it.

Reviewed April 5, 2009

We purchased a Xandari package (Resort & Spa, then Pacific, with transportation between the two) and although the rooms suggested a relationship between the two hotels, the environments were quite different. For us, the hotel was perfect. We did not come with the intention of spending our days on the beach, which was just as well: the beach is dark sand (not as pretty as white sand beaches) and the hotel warns about the undertow (although there were plenty of swimmers and surfers at adjacent properties), so probably not a great place to bring kids. After traveling for most of each day, we preferred staying by the pool when we returned (it could have been even better if they pumped cold water into the pool, which was very warm by late afternoon), although we made it to the beach each evening for the spectacular sunsets. We stayed in a beachfront ultra room (#3) and enjoyed it greatly. It was very spacious and clean with excellent amenities (to add to the discussion of prior reviewers regarding darkening the room for a good night's sleep, we did close the exterior shades just outside the room and they were quite effective). The hotel replenishes daily a supply of complementary water, juices, fruit and snacks, which was a nice touch. Food in the restaurant was good and ample (we had plenty to eat for the complementary breakfast so that we didn't need to order a la carte extras and the hotel was happy to prepare packed breakfasts for us when we were leaving early on day trips). We had dinner at the hotel only once and it was quite good. One of the things we enjoyed most about the hotel is the location. It is relatively isolated (as compared, e.g., with staying in Manuel Antonio), so you can be away from it all, but if you rent a car, you are within easy reach of lots of things to do and the driving is easy. To the north, Jaco, a bustling town with interesting shops and good restaurants, is less than 30 minutes away; Los Suenos, with its fancy yacht club and excellent restaurants, is about 10 minutes beyond Jaco, and Carara National Park, spectacular for birders, is another 15 minutes beyond that. To the south, Manuel Antonio is about an hour away (depending on your luck in crossing the one-lane bridge). And don't miss the opportunity to take a walk down the dirt road from the hotel (turn right out the exit) to get a very interesting view of how the different classes of people in Costa Rica live.

4  Thank adanacsim
Reviewed March 23, 2009

We just returned from the Xandari, and loved it. Our room (#1) was large and very clean, with spectacular views of the ocean. My wife is especially concerned about cleanliness, and she enjoyed our room more than I have ever seen her approve of anywhere else! The food was very reasonably priced and impressive, with a reasonable array of choices. Our plan included breakfast, which was simple but tasty (other options cost money, i.e. pancakes/eggs/etc). The service was pleasant and attentive. The swimming pool was small, but well-conceived. Frankly, in my opinion the pool was pointless because the beach is so great-so we spent almost no time at the pool.

This is a fantastic resort for those looking for simple elegance, long walks on a deserted and beautiful beach, and for relaxing. I would not recommend this resort for those looking for a singles scene or a wide variety of entertainment options in close vicinity. You will need a car or to coordinate tours if you want to go someplace else for food or entertainment. As we did not want either, the Xandari was perfect. The restaurant noted below (low tide lounge) is in esterillos oeste, and definitely not a quick walk.

The wildlife at this resort was limited but beautiful. We had the opportunity to view plenty of scarlet macaws (but you do have to watch or listen for them), and a great number of iguanas.

In regards to one poster that complained about the lack of blinds, you can block out the sun if you like. However, one of those options involves closing an outside drape (and in our case blocking its movement in the wind with chairs). This didn't bother us at all, we just got up a bit earlier and loved the clear sunlight and view of the ocean coming in. For those who like living in a cave, our room probably would have been a bit disagreeable. You also have to be a bit mindful about exhibitionist displays!

Overall,I would highly recommend visiting this report, and hope to return myself some day!

4  Thank Drsooner1