All reviews plunge pool outdoor shower costa rica manuel antonio private garden restaurant staff hotel is beautiful the wait staff couples massage total privacy bright colors open air rented a car rainy season peaceful place black sand ocean front
Reviewed December 13, 2008

My wife & i spent a long weekend at Xandari & loved it. The food at breakfast, lunch & dinner is 1st class, the staff are so friendly & exceptionally well trained, the beach is desolate & romantic, great to run on in the morning. The rooms are huge & with superb beach views, i loved the bathrooms & the showers & best of all no, TV, no blackberry just quiet down time.

If you expect a noisy active resort, Xandari is not for you, if you love quiet,beauty,great service, comfort then i highly recommend Xandari.

You need a rental car, Jaco is not too far away & be careful on the drive over from San Jose the winding mountain road is a challenge especially in the rain.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Njhammers
Reviewed November 27, 2008

NO Curtains!!!!! If you want to sleep in, don't go here. Otherwise, it is a great place. I agree with all of the reviews except the one guy complaining about reservation hassles. It is very remote, so I recommend that you have a car if you want to do anything away from the hotel. Jaco is good for some quick souvenir shopping, and not much else. My wife and I walked 3+ miles north on the beach and stumbled upon the Low Tide Lounge. A cool place to hang out, have a couple of cerevezas, and watch the surfers in 4-6+ surf. All in all a great place, and it bumps up to 5 stars if they could just darken the rooms so you don't wake up at 5:30am.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandzl
Reviewed November 27, 2008

Simply the most romantic beach and hotel we've ever visited. Total relaxation at a beautiful pool, beach and hotel. Great staff. Come here to relax; not to be a loud American who wants to see monkies.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2008

It is difficult to express the many different feelings that this property exudes. That being said, I will try, perhaps by just saying "I want to go back to this country just to stay here".
Primo features of the property was the outstanding architecture, location, service, food, facilities.etc.
The beach was perfect providing me with the largest starfish I have ever discovered. The grounds were impecable filled with natural beauty and gardens.
The rooms were perfect in every detail proving every ammenity I needed including a wonderful aura of lighting, privacy and comfort. Several garden & seating areas were available inside your gated and secure villa.
The staff attended to every detail needed or requested and with a strong service orientation without being obtrusive.
The food was excellent and beautifully presented.
Services at the Spa were supurb experiencing the finest massage of my life presented by a knowledgeable and caring masseuse.
...and the list could go on and on....

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My wife and I just returned from Costa Rica for our honeymoon and we stayed the entire week at Xandari by the Pacific. I can't disagree with the other reviews about the beauty of the grounds and the great and super friendly staff. I can see where the food may lack the finest of a quality restaurant in the United States. It was very good in comparison to anything I have experienced in Costa Rica. The seafood was excellent!
The villas were beautiful. The showers were able to be opened to the private garden area in each villa with a sliding glass door or doors. The common garden areas were absolutely stunning, and we did see a lot of butterflies and lizards.
The only things I think that any future visitors need to know- if you don't rent a vehicle it is about a $66 (in August 2008) round trip cab ride to Jaco which is the closest large town. Quepos and Manual Antonio is an even more expensive cab ride. So if you are looking to do any day trips for shopping or other dining experiences you have to factor that into the budget. Another thing is if you have made a deal as far as rates for anything, get it in writing. We had some issues with being quoted one price and then finding out it was more than we were quoted. The staff did there best to work with us on this but it was definitely disappointing.
So if you are looking for a completely relaxing place away from the world this is your spot. If you need a little action with your relaxation make sure you have a vehicle to get around because you are in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple