“Refreshing-Refrescante!”

Encantada Ocean Cottages
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Esterillos Este
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Greeted with a tropical smoothie, followed by a carefree swing in one of their countless hammocks, just in time for the most gorgeous sunset over fish tacos that you will ever see!

And it just gets better.

These new delightful owners have spoiled us with the best beds and accouterments you will find. (We were lucky enough to meet them) The sleep machine was the endless waves.

The next day their incredible surf instructor took my sister and I out for me to catch my first wave ever right outside our villa! Lunch this day was the hands down best guacamole with Imperial Beer. The afternoon they set up a massage by the beach which has always been my dream. That was one of the best treatments I have ever gotten.

My sister lives in Costa Rica and has already been back…and I left only a week ago!

Encantada is a wonderful choice for your holiday.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Wow, what a gem! You cannot beat the location or value of this hotel. The beach front here does not have the local access road going through it, so there is little to no traffic! Meaning, you don't have to fight for a sun or surf spot! You can rent a board or take lessons on-site.

The cottages are very clean & comfortable! Super soft, comfy pillows! Their restaurant is fantastic! We had breakfast & dinner there daily. Highly recommend trying the traditional Costa Rican fresh fish dinner prepared on the open fire. Huge portions! Share a plate if you aren't a big eater.

We were lucky to have the pleasure of meeting the new owners, Tiffany & Nome. They have a beautiful vision for the property & I can't wait to see the future yoga addition! They went ABOVE & BEYOND to make us feel welcome! They even drove 30 minutes to a neighboring town to pick up a cake & champagne to surprise my boyfriends daughter for her birthday!! We had an amazing time at Encantada & I am certain you will too! Pura Vida!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Beth G
Reviewed January 1, 2014

From the moment we arrived at Encantada Cottages I knew we were in a truly special place. For starters, let me say that I have traveled extensively, and stayed at some of the world's finest hotels (and many not so fine!). To be honest, we started planning our Christmas trip to Costa Rica a bit late, and the places I would have chosen first were all booked up.....but did that ever turn out to be a blessing in disguise!

Trusting Trip Advisor reviews, I went ahead and reserved 5 nights in one of the cabinas at Encantada, not expecting to find much for such a reasonable price. When we first set foot on the property and saw the lovely, clean pool and the gorgeous beach just steps away through the lush palm trees, hammocks swaying in the breeze, I literally started to cry. It was PERFECT! And it just kept getting better....

Our warm, friendly host Gerald greeted us with fresh juice and a smile. We were shown to Cabina 1, one of just a handful of adorable little cottages. The beds were comfortable, the a/c worked well, and our family of five (sharing one bathroom!) found plenty of space to settle in. Though I did not think I would survive without hot water (the hotel's one flaw!) I was surprised to find that cool showers were ok, even refreshing. There was a loft with one single bed, and two queens on the ground floor. The sheets were wonderfully soft, and plenty of towels were provided for both bath and beach. Breakfast was simple, but more than adequate, with fruit, juice, good coffee, and toast, plus eggs cooked to order, Gallo pinto (Costa Rican rice and beans...totally yummy!) omelets, etc. available. The resort is in the process of increasing its restaurant offerings, and we were happy to stay put for lunches of wood grilled fresh fish and chicken, and dinners of typical Costa Rican specialties lovingly prepared by Gerald and Linda. Other nights we went nearby to sample some of the neighboring resorts' cuisine.....great meals everywhere!

The beach was spectacular: clean soft brown sand, gentle surf, flat, and endless. It was also practically deserted, despite the perfect weather and busy tourist season. We walked for miles, picking up seashells and sand dollars as we went. Boogie boards were available. The palms provided shade, and there were plenty of hammocks and a few chairs for relaxing and watching the gorgeous sunsets. One of the nights, Herald made a beach bonfire for us under the stars.

The atmosphere was one of total peace and relaxation, the setting nothing short of sublime. Our hosts met our every need with information about tours, restaurants, riptides, and so much more. But beyond that, they made us feel like part of their family. My only hesitation about recommending this place is that I don't want it to become impossible to reserve a room here ever again! We cannot wait to return.....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank ChicagoMusicianMom
EncantadaCR, Owner at Encantada Ocean Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Encantada. We strive to make all our guests feel very comfortable during their stay with us. We have been working hard on renovating the rooms and unfortunately during your stay two of the rooms had a problem with the water heater. We are happy to say that the issue has been resolved and all the rooms now have hot water. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay at Encantada Ocean Cottages.

Nome Lakin

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband, daughter and her fiancé just returned from a week at the Encantada Cottages. Encantada provided us with a tranquil and serene environment that was very much appreciated.

This hotel is very recently under new management, with Herald and Linda at the helm, providing impeccable service to the guests. We felt no pressure during our stay to do anything but relax! Dinner is served nightly, with very healthy and local food options. During the day, you can choose to relax by the pool, on the beach, or in one of the many hammocks that swing below the palm trees on the property. The hotel has books, games, yoga mats, surf lessons and NO TV (which we loved!). If you are looking for blasting music, and lots of people, this is NOT the place to come. Special thanks to Herald and Linda -- please change nothing about this place!

Room Tip: All rooms have A/C but you'll just want to keep the windows open for the nice sea breeze...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Maryse G
Reviewed December 12, 2013

There is something special about La Encantada. It's all been covered in other reviews. The downside of our experience was the long delay in answering email inquiry and having add on services pushed on us like making a massage appointment for me that I didn't ask for! But everyone is very pleasant and the homemade dinners are very good and well priced.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We booked a night at Encantada Ocean Cottages on the recommendation of some friends, and they were so spot on! This place is a gem, and everything was just wonderful. We stayed in their "honeymoon suite", which is the largest cottage. The view from the front porch was beautiful, just about 100 feet from the beach. Ocean breezes and macaws were our companions for the evening. We didn't get to experience the pool, but it was beautiful. The entire staff was friendly and helpful, and we would not hesitate to stay here again - for longer next time! Special thank you to Mikey, Diana and Andrew!

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is the largest, but all the the cabins looked very spacious and nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

.I found this amazing place with cottages right on the beach on this site and I'm counting down the days till I'm there again. Much love to Mikey and Diana who made me feel right at home and part of of their family . This was hands down the best vacation I've ever had .

• Stayed: September 2013
Hotel Villa Caletas
Hotel Villa Caletas
#1 of 3 in Punta Leona
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club

Been to Encantada Ocean Cottages? Share your experiences!