“Excellent Hotel”
Review of Hongzhu Shan Hotel

Hongzhu Shan Hotel
Ranked #3 of 319 Hotels in Emeishan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is a historical five-star hotel with modern facilities in Emeishan. Quiet place. It says that Mr. Jiang Jie Shi used to stay there. The garden was wonderful. It is just next to Baoguo Temple. We hired a bicycle from the reception desk to look around. Nice feeling.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SHAN W

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I first stayed here in 2008 and was quite disappointed. However I was booked in here recently by someone else and it has improved considerably. The room was comfortable and well equipped, and the service was excellent this time. Emeishan is a beautiful location and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We recently stayed for a night in Building number 5 by the side of the lake. Rooms were very large comfortable and clean looking out onto greenery. We ate an evening meal in the restaurant, the food was very good but service a little haphazard - we were the last people into the dining room at 8pm and the staff were concentrating on clearing up after a large wedding. Overall fine for a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We've spent a night in this hotel, on our way to visit the mountain. We were at house #5.
The hotel has walking trails, close to a lake, within the forest - just beautiful.
The hotel is a huge resort, in which you travel by internal free shuttle.
The room was big (we actually ordered a suite for us and our two daughters who slept at the livingroom).
We highly recommend visiting the "thermal pools" area - tenths of outdoors (also some indoors) hot springs, in various sizes anf tempratures, in beautiful garden location within the resort (seperate charge applies but it is well worth it). We were there at "regular" dates (not holiday) so we "shared" all those pools with few couples only.
The only downside was a little slow service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location, set at the foot of Mt Emeishan. We stayed in building 5. Rooms are funtional but look out at some refreshing greens. Nice walk by the lake. Good massages in the spa. The dinner and breakfast spread were excelent. Hardly anyone speaks english. Quite good for a one-day stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank namboo
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Apparently the "best in town if want to be close to Mount Emei". May be. But not a five star resort as indicated (despite the high end German cars parked in front of the lobby, probably owned by local politicians). It is old, very local, not very clean, some of the furniture in the rooms is torn by usage. When it was cold, heating did not work - make use of the extra blanket.
Food is mediocre (even beer comes only at room temperature...) and massively overpriced. The second evening we walked 5-10 minutes into town, nice al fresco restaurants where local eat, large choice, delicious Sichuan cuisine (and the cold beer!) for one tenth of the price (yes, one tenth!). Back to the hotel, they provide a sort of computer in the room with Internet access, but still the basic standards of the proclaimed rating are not fulfilled. But then again, may be all others in town are really worse, just manage your expectations.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SunriseSki
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Firstly, the location of the hotel is superb. It's literally at the base of E-Mei Shan.
Amenities including eateries, grocery stores, information centre, bus stations are within walking distance.
The layout of this hotel is sprawling and even my taxi driver is lost upon entering the establishment.
Reception is at Block 5 and I believe that the management should make that known to the public.
After taking all the luggage out from the taxi, I was told that my room is actually at Block 6, which is across the road. And so, the taxi driver reluctantly placed everything back into the taxi & awaited for me to finalise my checking-in before taking me to my final destination.
Once I get there, I got another rude awakening, there would be NO lift & so, I heaved all my luggages to the 3rd floor. There were 3 front attendants sitting at the counter but they were all token attendants because none of them gave me eye-contact or greeted me. They, in fact, were too busy immersing themselves chatting with their mates on their smartphones. Truthfully, this is the norm in China where service is found wanting.
That being said, the hotel ground is lovely with a huge lake in the centre. Its surrounding is pleasant too with established woods. Still, the silence is constantly being broken by Chinese drivers that would honk endlessly. On top of that, refurbishment is carrying out in the dead of the night & upon opening the window, one could hear the sound of construction workers pouring concrete and them yelling at one another.
The hotel room is of "business" genre, neutral but functional. Internet is do-able but not fast.
The spa and sauna facilities are VERY good, indeed. It's literally 2 minutes walk away from Block 6, and it comprises of a night-club, karaoke lounges, massage rooms, conference centres.
I wouldn't be happy if the room rate is exorbitant but it's not. I think the management is endeavouring to entice people to patronise the place again through sharp bundling deals through travel agents.
Commendable stay but always remember, if you are able to speak Mandarin, it helps immensely.

Room Tip: Block 5 with the reception is arguably the best rooms but you will pay through the roof for those ro...