“Take time to do this”

Book In Advance
More Info
$354.99*
and up
2-Day Private Tour of Leshan Grand Buddha and Emei Shan including Monastery Stay
Ranked #1 of 74 things to do in Emeishan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A scenic mountain area houses important Buddhist temples.
Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
149 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Take time to do this”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The easy way to get to the top of the mountain is to take the bus and then the cable car, which is a half hour walk up from the bus stop. Arrive early to avoid huge crowds along the way and at the top. There are several paths to walk around the top to enjoy the views--if the mountain isn't in the clouds. As with most mountaintops, the views are awesome, even with some clouds. Walking down the path to the parking lot, you can enjoy the changes in types of trees. It takes 1.5 to 2 hours.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“If you don't like crazy drivers, hairpin bends and being squeezed in a cable car with half of China don't go!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Probably the worst journey we have ever experienced. We were dropped off by our driver at the transfer station as our vehicle was not allowed. Our guide did accompany us for the trip though. We endured a hideous journey up the mountain side with a halfway stop at a shabby shopping area with the filthiest toilets ever.The second half of the coach journey was made bearable by closing my eyes and finding God! We had our own walking poles which were really useful. Having walked to the cable car queue we waited for over an hour and a half, putting up with the usual hawking and spitting by fellow tourists-fortunately someone had considerately strung some dirty orange buckets in the queuing aisles for our fellow tourists to deposit their phlegm. Lots of staff standing around shame one of them didn't pick up a mop and bucket to clean up some of the filth.The rush for the cable car was hideous-we were told to get in the corner by our guide so we squeezed ourself in and endured the short ride up. Somehow the cable held up and we reached the top. More climbing and the views were outstanding and you forget you need to get back down the mountain. The moment came when we had to make a decision-and we chose to walk down instead of waiting for the cable car. WARNING-only do this if you are fit. Many of the steps are uneven and have shifted from their original position. Our legs did turn to jelly but it only took 1hr 20 mins which was less than the time for the queue for the cable car.
We had lunch at one of the many restaurants in the coach park ( food was tasty but we suffered the next day) before we boarded the suicide coach. This is where the day really started to disintegrate. I wrapped a scarf around my eyes and hung on for dear life. The driver was overtaking other coaches on hairpin bends-unbelievable and so dangerous. I was sitting near the back ad I could smell burning rubber. We stopped after 45 mins at another stinky toilet stop whilst the driver hosed down the wheels-cooling the break drums I was told ! Steam rose in the air and we decided there and then not to get back on the coach. Our guide got off and he managed to phone for a private car to take us the rest of the way down-best 200RMB I have ever spent. If I known in advance of dreadful journey I would not have taken this trip but the views at the top were outstanding

1 Thank EddiesMom7
Zilzie, Australia
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Mount Emei”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a journey and a half. First you are taken to a transfer station where you get onto a smaller bus. Then you endure a rally cross ride up a narrow road, overtaking other buses with sheer drops next to you. When you get to the top, if you are not car sick you then have to climbe some 760 steps to the cable car area. After this you join a snake queue to go to the cable car. This queue can take up to an hour and half to get to the cable car. Your guide who is not with you at this time will join you as you wait for the cable car to arrive. The cable car is abox and here is stampede to get on to it to grab the few seats around the edge. Some 30-40 people seem to get on and hang onto the straps above. The car takes 2 minute to get to the top(thankfully).

A lot more steps to climb but not as many as the first lot, to take you to the golden summit. It wasfresh when I got there and cloud was rolling in over the top of the mountain. So many people all over the place. Touts everywhere trying to sell you stuff.

I got a few good shots up here and I did enjoy being up there. Shame about the cloud but then that is how it goes.

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Feisty and Fascinating”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was a facinating and beautiful part of China with all the advantages both of Chinese mountain scenery, monastic silence, and down in the town itself, a feisty Chinese provincial way of life. Would recommend.

Singapore, Singapore
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“A great place but you need to know what you are doing”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I enjoyed my trip here recently. I went to Leshan first to see the big Buddha first and got here early in the afternoon. I already had a plan in mind so I simply bought the 90rmb shuttle bus at the Baoguosi main bus station. A word of caution here:a lot of places here have the name Baoguosi to them but they are not really that near to the temple itself bearing that name. The 90rmb ticket is two-way: brings you right to the foot of the golden summit where you can take a cable car up. The journey took 2 hours. Another warning: the bus let's you off at the Leidongping car park and you still have to climb about 20-30 mins to get to the cable car station. All bottled water are sold at 5rmb and sugared drinks at 10rmb so don't worry about stocking up now in case prices at the summit are ridiculous. I was a but hungry and night a tea leaves egg for 2rmb and a fat sausage for 10rmb - delicious! But the sausage is a bit spicy be careful. After the climb there is a ticket both to buy tickets for the cable car ride. As it was after the earthquake, there was no queue at all. Reaching the summit, I immediately checked out the price for a single room at the Jinding Dajiudian, the best hotel you can find at the summit. I got a windowless room with a queen size bed for 500rmb. It's the most expensive hotel I have lived in on this trip, having lived mostly in budget hotels, but the location was good and the room was very comfortable. A room with window would have cost 700+rmb. I then went to see the famous four directions and ten faces statue of Samantabhadra Bodhisattva (Pu Xian). But the entire summit was shrouded in a sea of cloud and the clouds were literally raining on me! So I could only see the elephants at the bottom and not the statue on top. It was a mystical experience though if you were not going to stay overnight you would be disappointed as you could hardly see anything. After walking around feeling very mystical, I went to a cafeteria run by the Jinding Dajiudian hotel (you can't miss it, they have a loudspeaker outside and is on the way from the cable car station to the statue and temples). They basically sell set rice meals and noodles, all at 32rmb. Add a freshly fried egg for 3rmb. Some people may feel prices on emeishan are expensive, but if you see the workers carrying all the foodstuffs and goods climbing up the torturing steps you can accept the prices better. I then went back to the hotel and rested. The next morning I woke up early and went to the summit area at 6am hoping to catch some sunrise. I was lucky in that the clouds cleared so I could see the statue and the temples and got some fantastic photos. However, the sunrise want spectacular as the sun was blocked by clouds still. After walking around until 8am I went for breakfast and rested a bit at the hotel before checking out. After that, I walked down the stairs to the leidongping car park. From here, there are many choices. Walk all the way down to Wanniansi (was told it would take 7 hours but I doubt so - most timings given to me were overestimates). Or like me take the shuttle down to the Wannian car park and take a cable car up. This cake car will bring you to Wanniansi which is something like a middle summit. From there I walked down to Qingyinge and down all the way down to the Wuxiangang car park. This part of the hike was beautiful as it is along streams and rivers that were turquoise in colour. After that I took the shuttle back to the main Baoguosi bus station where I bought a bus ticket back to Chengdu for 50rmb.

1 Thank Yew Hong N