“The best restaurant on Cardenas City”
Review of Don Qko

Don Qko
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Cardenas
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Brandon, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best restaurant on Cardenas City”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

A great place where eat with family , friends , couples , business ....ect
I just had the best of my nights on Don Qko , delicious food and amazing service ! Cant wait to go back ! Strongly recommended !!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank mayrelis p

Miami Beach, Florida
“El mejor restaurante(the best rest ever)”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Fui con mi esposa y familia y pase una noche inolvidable y el servicio de 7 estrellas.muchas gracias por todo.volvere.
I went to this rest with my wife and family and i had an amazing night and the service is really good.i totally recomend this place.thanks for everything.i will come back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Waldo2907
Saint John, Canada
“Best Restaurant in ALL of Cuba hands down!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

13 of us went here - half tourists and half Cubans. It was amazing. The grounds are beautiful, there's a pool in the middle with a water fall, they cook on an open grill for all to see and they have won the award for #1 Gourmet Restaurant in Cuba and trust me, it is. We have appetizers, full meal, dessert and multiple drinks - for 13 people it was $100 all in! Check it out if you can - I highly recommend it!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank GmanGordo
Ottawa, Canada
“Well worth the trip from Veradero”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This family run restaurant in Cardenas is about 20 minutes by taxi from the Veradero strip, depending on where your hotel is. We stayed at the Arenas Doradas, which is about 15km up the peninsula so it took us a little longer. We paid a taxi 50 cucs to take us in the afternoon and pick us up after dinner.
I strongly recommend going to Cardenas, locating the restaurant, and then spending some time in the city. We absolutely loved it, just sitting and having a beer while Cuban urban life swirled around us. It is a perfect way to inject a little real Cuban culture while staying on the somewhat unreal hotel strip in Veradero.
Having been to Cuba before we stopped into the restaurant, asked them to store our dinner clothes, bags, and wine ( we brought our own duty free as the meal was a special occasion, which they agreed to open for a nominal corkage fee, which I actually think they never charged us for ), and then went to explore Cardenas. We were met with typical great Cuban hospitality, nothing a problem, genuine smiles all round, and an instant feeling that we were going to enjoy ourselves later for dinner.
I am a chef and brought gifts for the kitchen crew, things of which I have a lot of but are very hard to get in Cuba, proper kitchen small wares, peelers, corers, scoops and measuring stuff, and this time a knife and steel.
When we arrived for dinner the courtyard was beautifully lit and decorated tastefully for Christmas. The restaurant allowed us to use the toilets to change into dinner cloths, welcomed us like part of the family, all of whom we met, three generations from owner to manager to server. The ambience could not have been better and we had a wonderful time, wish I had ordered the return taxi a little later than 10 pm, as we could have easily spent another hour or two. We started with mojitos which were awesome.
When reviewing the food it is important to remember that this is not a tourist restaurant or in a tourist district, so they do not have access to products that are generally kept for the tourist trade......so no lobster and an abundance of pork on the menu. Having said that the kitchen does strive to serve fresh produce, selected daily, and as they get more tourists making the journey, will get better. This is a restaurant that deserves support.
We started by asking the chef to give us his choice for appetizers. It took a little while as it was out of the box, but we didn't mind, we had come with another couple that we had met at the resort, and were very happy to not be rushed: we were having a great chat. The appetizers were very good, a mixture of everything that was on offer, including small shrimp cocktail, a delicious (star of the evening for me) deep fried pork and plantain mixture inside a plantain slice, some pickled egg, and also some tinned tuna with a bright sauce. All quite artfully displayed, with some use of the new equipment!
The main courses were good, large portions, we had three variations on pork and a fish fillet with shrimp sauce. All would have benefited from a lighter touch with the sauces, which were heavy throughout, and I think that will also get better with time and access to things we take for granted, like fresh herbs, etc. The grilled items were well cooked and tasty.
As our taxi was waiting we did sort of rush through desserts and the post meal cigar, but the desserts were a selection of cakes which were good, rich as I have come to expect from Cuban cakes, but tasty.
The service was excellent and very welcoming, from start to finish, nothing but high praise for everyone we met there, and not only would I go back but I look forward to it, can't wait to see this little gem develop as it gets better known with the tourism industry......we asked the customer service agent at the hotel to make the booking for us ( I would have done it my pigeon Spanish, was actually just asking for a phone ), and she was delighted to hear that we knew of the restaurant.....thank you tripadvisor!
The cost is better than reasonable as you are away from the tourist zone. Our three course meal with drinks for four people was 42 cucs........amazing for what we experienced.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Ontariochef
“Muy Bueno :)”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Wow what a beautiful ambiance! The food is incredible. The service is excellent and they spoke english. I loved every thing about this restaurant. Highly recommended

2 Thank Morenitaaa