“Silverdale Gun Club, the Best in Adrenaline Starters”

Silverdale Gun Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Lincoln
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place is not easy to find, existing variously, on Concession 4 Road, RR 69 or Silverdale Road, depending on which GPS locator / mapping software you are using. The Christmas present was an Introduction to Handgun Shooting, which consists of a period of time spent on the range learning, guess what, how to shoot handguns!

Now neither my wife or myself have a PAL-R, the license in Ontario that allows you to acquire restricted weapons. But having said that, purchasing this package from Silverdale allows you to shoot them anyway, under the right supervision.

When you pull up in their parking lot, you enter a different world. The people around you are not the people you see at the mall. They are not your co-workers or relatives. These are gun-people. Depending upon your perception of that phrase, you may assume that to be either a positive or negative thing. The only thing I can equate it to is motorcycle riders. As a biker myself, I know that what seems alien to a civilian is actually a brotherhood to someone who shares the interest.

And that is what I found at Silverdale Gun Club. From the time we arrived we found that each person we met, from the club operators to the members, were extremely polite, affable, and willing to share their knowledge and experience. Our package consisted of shooting 3 different types of handgun under the supervision of a range officer.

Our RO, Kenny, took us down to the handgun range, where he explained how guns must be handled, and how and when they are considered safe or loaded. Kenny was a wealth of information, but presented all his knowledge with a sense of humour which we found echoed in every RO we encountered, even to the point of one of them feeling Kenny for bullet holes after we had finished on the range.

The first thing you realize about shooting real guns is that they are way louder than guns on TV or in the movies. Guns are serious, and you'd better treat them seriously. You must respect something that can deal that much devastation that quickly. But at the same time, target shooting is a hell of a lot of fun.

Kenny guided us through the sighting process, how to line up the front and rear sights, how to eject a mag, how to place a gun, and where to put our fingers and thumbs to prevent the injuries that would occur if you hold one of these things incorrectly.

At the beginning we were shooting a Ruger 22, 50 rounds each. The gun was sighted slightly wrong, so we were both shooting low and right, but once Kenny helped us out we managed to compensate, and start hitting bulls.

Then we moved on to a Baby Eagle 9mm which is a great gun to shoot. Bulls were easy with this because the sighting was perfect.

The last gun we shot was a .45 calibre. This thing was a beast. The action was hair-trigger, and the kick was huge, but so were the holes I managed to put in the bull.

All in all, if you want to step out of your comfort zone I would highly recommend a trip to Silverdale to get your adrenaline flowing.

All reviews
"range officer"
"different kinds"
"return again"
in 2 reviews
"answered all of our questions"
"bachelor party"
in 8 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just finished a visit this afternoon, making use of a beginners package that we purchased from Groupon. The three of us (husband & adult son) enjoyed our experience very much. Our instructor was great - kind, patient & very helpful. Our package included firing 3 different weapons. They provided the weapons & ammunition of course, ear protection & instruction. If we return again - which we would like to do - we would bring more substantial ear protectors. Those guns are loud!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I can't say enough amazing things about these guys. They are brilliant! So friendly, great marshalls, great admin...it's kinda like a family here.

Now I'm not a gun girl, but my adventure group really enjoys the firing range as one of the adventures that we have together. These guys and gals take care of your safety and make the adventure fun and interesting. All of my crew have come away from this absolutely loving everyone there. It was the highlight of their month.

If you get to talk with Joan, she's fantastic. Very flexible and creative with the group packages. Best pricing in town as well.

1  Thank canadianadventuregal