“Oysters and Music!”

Ranked #4 of 29 Restaurants in Elora
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Announcing the fresh flair of Cork, Elora's new restaurant that's certain to be your new favourite. Owners Trella and Stephanie welcome you with a creative menu and friendly atmosphere. Expect fine flavours, relaxed comfort, and warm memories from Cork. Fabulous Wines, Craft Beer and Spirits.
Guelph, Canada
“Oysters and Music!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Thursday night is the best night of the week if you're heading to Cork! We ordered the oysters, salad and flatbread; it was perfect! The oysters were so fresh and served ice-cold with delicious condiments. Sitting on the patio, listening to beautiful live music was the perfect complement to this delicious meal. Cork has the friendliest staff, the best food and is by far the best restaurant in Elora. Thanks for always making our night out fantastic!

eloracork, Owner at Cork Restaurant, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review. Oyster night has certainly proven to be popular in Elora. We offer fresh oysters for $2 on Thursday nights. As well, in good weather, we have live music on our patio. It is a fun, casual night and we are glad that you make the trip to Elora to enjoy the event. We hope to see you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Food was mediocre and overpriced. The staff was friendly and accommodating. This is one of the fancier restaurants on the street and offer a bigger selection of dishes. We ordered the mussels, duck breast, chicken, fish, and pork. Nothing really jumped out at us and you can definitely get something better (outside of Elora) for the price that you are paying.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Elina C
eloracork, Owner at Cork Restaurant, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
While I hate reading that you found our food mediocre, I do thank you for your review. We take these reviews very seriously and have, in fact, had a meeting to discuss getting our food back to "exceptional" and away from anyone thinking "mediocre". We take pride in providing flavourful, interesting food. We realize we have missed the mark in the past few weeks and this will be remedied. We are involved, active owners and we really care.

We hope you will give us another chance when you visit Elora next.
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent apps & GF friendly”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stopped for apps and were pleasantly surprised. We ordered 5 apps to share (calamari, ceviche, scallops, salmon wraps & lobster dip) and each one was superb. The flavours were fresh and mult layered without being overpowering. We couldn't get enough and will definitely return.
The wine list is quality over quantity and the desert menu includes crime brûlée and a stunning lemon mousse. To top it all off the majority of the menu is GF or can be altered to suit, they even have GF bread! We have travelled extensively around the world and this restaurant is on par with any we have found abroad. Well done!

• Visited August 2013
eloracork, Owner at Cork Restaurant, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review when things went well. We notice that you have many other reviews to your credit. We do everything we can to adapt our menu for special dietary needs. Much of our menu can be enjoyed by guests with gluten or dairy intolerance. One of the advantages of making everything in house, from scratch is that we know what is in all of our dishes and know what can be adapted.

Your server remembers your table and asked me to mention that she really enjoyed serving you. A bright spot during a very busy day.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
“No quality or quantity, but definitely pricey”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I certainly won't be coming back. I appreciate a restaurant that uses locally grown produce but even with the best ingredients, you can still fall flat. I had read some other reviews online and it seems that these reviews fell into two categories: 1) food was a bit pricey and portions were somewhat small, but overall a worthwhile experience with a menu featuring creative items
Or
2) food was lacklustre at best, not flavourful, ridiculously overpriced and portion sizes were outrageously small.
I had looked up the menu online and it all seemed very inspired and with such differing opinions on this restaurant, I decided to give it a chance to see for myself. Moreover, it seemed that there were many more positive reviews than negative reviews and so I figured that even if the experience wasn't perfect, it would at least be somewhat decent. Unfortunately, my optimistic attitude only got me a hefty bill and a bad taste in my mouth as my experience definitely fell into the second category.
I came for lunch with my grandmother and parents. The atmosphere was very good- l love historic-looking eateries, though it was a very hot day and they do not have any air conditioning. As far as the food, we each ordered something different. For an appetizer, I got the bruschetta flatbread for $12.00 and my dad had the soup of the day, a cherry, tomato soup. It took an extremely long time for drinks to arrive... we had been seated, placed our orders and waited about 15-20 minutes for our first set of drinks (this would be understandable if the restaurant was really busy but we were the first ones there and only three or four other tables filled up during the duration of our lunch)... Moreover, after coming in to w non-air-conditioned building after walking around in the humidity, we were all very thirsty! Getting refills on the drinks took forever as well... it also took an extremely long time for the appetizers to arrive (around 45 minutes to an hour) and by the time they came out I was incredibly hungry! With the amount of time that it took for the food, I was expecting something spectacular but I was certainly let down. The bruschetta was cold, the flatbread wasn't even heated through, it was chewy (almost stale) and the flavours were pretty bland. My dad's soup was pretty good but I was shocked that it took so long to bring out a small bowl of soup and some cold flatbread to some of the only patrons in the restaurant. The waitstaff were very nice but definitely slow and round one of the food wasn't very good.
We waited once again for our main courses (another 25-30 min). I had gotten the pasta tossed with tomatoes, Parmesan and zucchini... It was dried pasta (not fresh and homemade) served with only vegetables -no real sauce. The "sauce" was basically created from the juice of the tomato that created a disgusting water for the few noodles that were served to float in. It was certainly more of a broth with vegetables and a couple of noodles for filler. Moreover, while I don't mind zucchini, I am not a fan of eggplant and it was not listed on the menu as an ingredient in the dish, but my bowl was filled with mushy eggplant. Because we had waited so long, I ate my plate but felt really disappointed. There was also not very much in the bowl (like I mentioned, there weren't very many noodles at all). I was so disappointed that my mother and grandmother both offered me part of their meal (my mother ordered the special of the day, which I think was a goat cheese and bacon grilled cheese and my grandmother had half a club sandwich) but I didn't have the heart to take their food to compensate for my own... You see, the sandwiches were extremely tiny... They used two small pieces of a baguette to make the sandwiches, which were about the size of my hand. After waiting so long we were all very hungry and I didn't think it would be fair for me to eat the tiny bit of food that they had on them. Both said that the taste of the food was okay, but certainly nothing special and the quantity for the price was extremely disappointing! My dad had the fish tacos- probably the biggest hit of the lunch (not that that is saying much)... They were actually quite flavourful but again, they were very tiny and not filling at all. It's pretty clear that we were all disappointed in the food... But the food wasn't the only problem - my mom and grandma both ordered wine, which ended up costing $18.00 a glass!!!! The wine itself was nothing special (a similar BOTTLE could be found at the lcbo for around $14.00!!) I can understand having good, vintage wines available for connoisseurs to try, but there should be a more reasonable option for those who just want a light drink with their meal... It's not like this was a fancy restaurant in the middle of Yorkville where one would expect overpriced wine... I am actually shocked that this place is still open with the quality and quantity of food and drink that you get. We all left, still hungry and with am empty wallet. I definitely would warn against coming here again. Despite its seeming potential, it really is not worth a visit at all!

3 Thank Laurathursday
eloracork, Owner at Cork Restaurant, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. While I cannot say that we are happy to receive it we ARE paying attention to it and will revisit our portion sizes, prices and especially quality this week. We try to offer exceptional, local and sustainable food. We have obviously failed to live up to this. Our prices should reflect the quality of the food, atmosphere and service.

We do have air-conditioning, however it is an old building and the air conditioner cannot keep up with the extremely high temperatures we suffered a few weeks ago when you visited Elora.

With respect to wine, we use the standard industry mark-up on our wine. Any $18 glass of wine would have been a 9 ounce glass. I can assure you that there are more economically priced wines on our wine list. We would/have NEVER priced a 9 ounce glass from of a $14 bottle of wine at $18. The standard is 6 ounces.
Toronto
“Bland food, overly expensive!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

On the positive side, Cork has a nice ambiance and attentive service. The food, however, just doesn't live up to the rest. We tried a selection of appetizers (don't bother with the calamari) and our taste buds just weren't dancing to the tune of anything. I'm not sure what it is but nothing seemed to work - is the menu overdone? Not sure. The pork was dry, the mussels were bland and the caesar salad left a strange aftertaste. For the downtown prices, I expect more, and it just wasn't to be. I would definitely take a pass and try the pub.

4 Thank Cdngirl_68
eloracork, Owner at Cork Restaurant, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We remember your table. You thought the calamari would be deep fried and we offered to give you something else but you chose to give it a try. You told the server that it was "different" but not that you did not like it. We are sorry you did not enjoy your food. For future experiences it would be to your advantage if you tell the restaurant that you are not enjoying something. Unfortunately we cannot fix it after you leave. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.