“great light or vegan eating”
Review of Desert Rose Cafe

Desert Rose Cafe
Ranked #6 of 30 Restaurants in Elora
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We decided to try this café on the advice of friends. It is a small quaint place with three large tables which seat about 10 people each. The tables are communal, so you get to meet some interesting new people. I had one of the three soups of the day, yellow split pea with veggies. It was good, lots of veggies. Also had the tuna sandwich, also quite tasty. My wife had red pepper and asiago cheese quiche and a green salad. She said both were excellent. I also has some of a friend's Greek salad and it was quite tasty. One of friends also had the black bean burrito which he raved about. For desert, I had the carrot cake with cream cheese icing, very good, icing was outstanding. My wife had the butter tart, it had a thick consistency with lots of raisins and almost an oatmeal crust. Very, very good. The service was also quite good. The only issue we had was not with the food, but the price. It was $50 dollars which included one drink, an iced tea and a herbal tea. All that being said we would definitely go back.

1  Thank Charles R

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Visited on a weekend afternoon. Plenty of vegan and vegetarian options.Started with the curried lentil soup and the vegetable soup. Both were hearty and savory with a surprising mix of vegetables including mushrooms and zucchini. Possibly the best soups we've ever had in a restaurant. Appetizer chosen was the Quick Fix plate which included hummus, olives and a variety of breads. Delicious. Would have liked a larger serving. For entrees, we settled for the Mexican burrito and the sweet potato and kale enchilada.There was nothing about these dishes that we'd change. The flavour and texture were second to none. The quality and experience of these dishes can only be described as moving. While these servings were a good size, we left the table wanting more. Now enchanted with the Desert Rose Cafe, this will not be our last visit!

1  Thank MisstoricalFiction
Reviewed March 23, 2014

First visit, but will go back
A very unusual little place with lots of character. I had the green goddess soup, wasn't sure what to expect, but it was so good. Portions were a good size. The quiche was good but I will agree with another comment earlier about the crust being soggy due to it being reheated in the microwave. Would have loved to try a butter tart, but they are huge and we were full (maybe next time)
It's not the cheapest of places for lunch, but it was very good and for anyone that has food issues there are plenty of choices for different issues

1  Thank british-canadian-60
Reviewed February 2, 2014

A stop at 'the Rose' is becoming de rigeur when we visit Elora. We have been, in groups of 3 and 4, several times since I wrote my first review. Each time, we try new foods and enjoy the hosts and the ambience even more. Last week, a lone traveller - shut down in her travels by the snowy roads - joined us at our table and we enjoyed good conversation during our meals. This week, our group feasted on the burrito meal, which my daughter says is the best anywhere. I had the veggie omelet which came with a salad and toast - a nice then carroway rye, I think, with butter. Mmmm. The omelet was big and overflowing with veggie filling. Their coffee is always good and some of us had cider and herbal tea as well. Hospitable as always, warm, cozy, nice art on the walls, quiet, great food...we have not yet tried dessert as we are always too sated after our meal, but they sure look good. Simply a lovely spot to spend some time.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The owner/chef is brilliant. Her dishes are made with love and a knowledge of food - good food! Try one of the daily specials. I have had quite a few dishes but the one I keep coming back to is the falafel - it is so yummy! I believe it is vegetarian but I am pretty sure she could do vegan - and for sure gluten free if you wanted. You have to give this place a try. I have been going for years and I have not once had a meal that was less than fantastic!