AyurVAID Kalmatia
Hotel Shyam(Almora)
  • Room Service
Savoy Hotel(Almora)
  • Room Service
All reviewseagles nestnanda devisoothing experiencebreathtaking viewschirping birdspicnic lunchstate of the artsnow capped peakstake carehot water bottleshimalayan experiencehis wifeheaven on earthspecial mentionbeautiful resortquality of foodcottage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The resort is a beautiful quiet place with an excellent view of the Himalayas. Mr Narendra was really helpful and informative. We stayed there during the Holi week-end in 2014 and enjoyed every minute of our stay. Food was excellent especially the different muffins ! Quick and courteous staff was an added plus point. The cottage we stayed had a bunk bed.. much to the delight of our son and was tastefully done up.
One of the best places we have stayed till now and where we played a lot of board games...

CDP

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 505CDP
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
1. Nice cosy cottages with awesome view
2. Courteous and friendly staff eager to help you out, always checked the wood furnace to ensure the room stays warm
3. Sumptuous and tasty food be it Indian, Kumaoni or Continental
4. Nature Trail - walk in the woods in the hotel property itself
5. The manager, Mr. Narendra is always ready to help and comply with any needs of the guest including sight-seeing and transportation.
6. Good organic locally made toiletries

Cons:
1. No WiFi
2. No Electronic Safe in the room

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank saurabh1281
Narendra R, Manager at AyurVAID Kalmatia, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Thank you for your kind review!
Free Wi-fi service is available - from our reception, restaurant and sun terrace area.
We are sorry that you were not made aware of this. Hope to have the pleasure of having you with us again some day - perhaps to enjoy a Monsoon season out here, which is also a very beautiful time of year.
Best wishes from the whole team at Kalmatia Sangam.
Imogen & Narendra

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My holiday at the Kalmatia started 3 months ago with the initial booking - Narendra and Imogen have been so helpful and friendly with helping to organise everything. We arrived early after an overnight train journey (an experience in itself). We were greeted with warm towels and a friendly hello and promptly sat down to breakfast in sun. The room is not luxurious, it is clean, the bed is comfy and warm and the water is hot. Don't expect all the silly luxuries of the 5* over pompous hotels, but do expect good, clean honest food and staff and accommodation, and the bathroom was huge. We did the three night trek, this along with the two nights at Kalmatia was the best part of our whole trip to India, forget the Taj, forget all the other so called 'must sees' get on this trek and walk and meet the real people of the Kumon, meet the real goat herding ladies, the villagers who make your meals and live nearly how they do. We didn't see a car or a road for 2 days, and we didn't see another tourist !!! bonus for us. Don't get me wrong - I like luxury like the anybody else but I hate the frenetic selling and stress of Indian cities and tourist attractions, the endless buffet hotel breakfasts, the faceless hotels. Don't follow the crowd branch out alone. And don't worry about the walking - I did it, I am not so young anymore and certainly not so nimble on my feet, but Yogi our guide looked after me wonderfully.
If ever we go back to India this is on the itinerary. And I forgot to say how friendly everybody was here.

Room Tip: We stayed in Magpie - it was lovely but I can't say about the others as I didn't stay there. There are lots of steps up and down to the restaurant so you may wish to consider this if your knees are not as mobile as they were once.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IsabelleDerbyshireUK
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Though I am very late to write this review but still better late than never.I had booked this resort for 3 nights from 7/05/2013 to 10/05/2013 .This resort is absolutely a gem which I never expected.Its location,quality & variety of food,service,hospitality of the hosts i.e. Mr Narendra & kind wife Imogen, was beyond excellence .No words to describe the beauty of the place & hospitality .The cottages are tastefully done & at different heights.The snow peaks are so clearly visible when the weather is clear.The staff was always courteous & ready to assist & help you all the time.I wish I could have stayed more. My entire family i.e. my wife & two kids also enjoyed the stay very much.The only suggestion is that a little more attention should be paid to the accommodation & food of drivers also.Also a day trip to the nearby beautiful village should also be designed.Wish I could go again & again.The stay here at least for two nights is a must if you really want to enjoy the beauty of nature.

Room Tip: The cottage on higher level though connected by steps not suitable for senior citizens.Try to take your own vehicle.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at Kalmatia Sangam Himalaya Resort at the start of February 2014. I arrived very late evening following a long drive from Delhi. I was warmly welcomed by very friendly staff and was shown to my beautiful, cosy 'Owl' cottage where the wood burner was lit and delicious food provided. It didn't take me long to realise that I had arrived at a very special place.
The following morning I awoke to glorious sunshine and the most breathtaking views of The Himalayas. Having breakfast sat outside on the restaurant balcony in such spectacular scenery made me feel like the luckiest person in the world.
The resort is an absolute credit to its wonderful hosts Narendra and Imogen. The guest wants for nothing and one appears to have been magically transported into a serene, utopia. The staff deserve a special mention. I found them all to be such friendly, wonderful people who clearly love working at the resort. The chef produces the most delicious food for every meal and freshly made bread, muffins and locally sourced produce appear everyday. I found myself eagerly anticipating what the next meal was going to be.
Although I travelled alone I never felt lonely and found everybody I was lucky enough to meet to be so friendly. I would recommend a walk through the pine forest and into the local village. The guide provided to me by Kalmatia Sangam was so knowledgable and interesting and I got to meet a lot of lovely people courtesy of him. A trip to the local Hindu temple for sunset is also a wonderful experience and a visit to Binsar Wildlife sanctuary to experience 'Zero Point' - the most spectacular view of The Himalayas, is an absolute must.
I would urge anyone to visit this very special place and experience for themselves all the wonderful things to see and do. I loved my stay from start to finish and was sad to leave. I wished I could have held onto this little slice of heaven for so much longer....

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo