“Very good Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Wildflower Resort
Lindau, Germany
“Very good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this nice, clean and remote place for two nights. The staff was very friendly and helpful, we even got a complimentary guided walk in the jungle. They have a nice garden and on cold evenings they provide open fire in the diningroom. Food was very good, a good variety of indian dishes.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Puscheletta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I needed to escape the noisy and dirty Indian cities I had been in for six weeks - I came from Varanasi, which is definitely NOT for the faint-hearted or fastidious - and so the Wildflower Resort worked nicely for me. I could relax, sleep properly, see the stars at night etc. Also, I got on well with the owner, Avinash, who was interesting to talk to and he also came to pick me up late at night after a problematic train journey (7 hour delay - not bad for India I am told). It cost a bit - R4500 from Jabalpur - but the resort IS in the jungle...

I didn't go on a safari because of the cost (R6000): I prefer wandering around by myself in the bush anyway. I went out once with the naturalist, who doesn't speak English well, but can still convey plenty of information about the plants and animals. The other days I went out by myself, and while I didn't go very deep into the 'core zone' - a tiger may have gotten me! - the valley itself, which is largely open, was great to explore. In particular I wandered through about a dozen villages and saw how the 'tribals' lived, took photos of cute kids etc. The locals do it tough - excluded from the caste-system and considered ritually unclean, they are dirt poor - but if you want to get an idea of how poor rural Indians live, and watch them work the fields with animals and rudimentary tools, which I did, this is a perfect spot to do so.

The resort itself isn't too bad, although I wouldn't call it 'luxurious'. They are currently renovating the pool, which would be a necessity in summer. The bed was comfortable, and there are nice couches to lounge about on (but no fridge). Insects get in, and frogs - it is the jungle after all! - although they have auto-mosquito repellent which kept those little bastards away. The TV doesn't have many English channels, and perhaps they should stump up a bit for this (it isn't that expensive to get about a dozen news and movie and sport channels). The bathroom was so-so - the shower took about 10mins to get hot, but was then fine for long showers. But the 'reed roof' isn't sealed, and there must have been a rat up there, or something that left droppings on the floor.

Perhaps the price - up around R3000 per night - is a little steep, especially given that the internet doesn't work. Other travelers have noted problems paying by credit card - I was OK because I bought plenty of cash with me - but the resort better do something about 'getting connected' (there is a phone line there after all). Having internet is sort of a 'basic service' these days - even in India - so if you are on the way there get your emails sorted out before you arrive! Finally, the kitchen served pretty decent food at reasonable prices if you stick to the vegetarian stuff (the meat dishes are four times the cost, and average at best).

One word about the staff, however. They try their hardest, the dear things, but some of their behaviour is a bit off-putting. For example, only one of them really speaks English, and haltingly at best (although the owner's English is excellent), which means even basic requests like 'extra toilet paper' or 'an extra blanket' tend to come up with blank stares. The staff also tends to 'hover around' when you eat, standing only 1m away, sometimes 2 or 3 of them, and staring intently at each mouthful you take. I had to repeatedly politely ask them to 'back off please', but they just don't get it or forget very quickly, so that by the next meal (sometimes just a few hours later) they are doing it again - I basically gave up, and I can't work out why they can't remember this sort of stuff ( I even explained it carefully to the sort-of-English speaker, but to no avail). This is a cultural thing I suppose - they are all tribals with the sort of severely limited education that continues to blight India's development prospects - and so they tend to 'act the servant' in ways which are a bit weird for an egalitarian-minded Australian.

So, I would on balance recommend the Wildflower Resort - but don't expect luxury, just a decent, quiet stay in a pretty spot in a country which is, generally speaking, neither very quiet nor very pretty.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Alan B
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

There are a few good things about this hotel: 1) Asu the dude who checked us in was amazing - professional, courteous and friendly - we were really impressed by him; 2) the food is tasty but extremely expensive; 3) the waiting staff and the guys who carried our bags gave us a warm welcome on arrival; 4) the taxi we booked to collect us from Katni train station had seat belts and was there to pick us up; 5) the rooms were large, bathroom looked newish, beds were comfortable and the place was peaceful.

If you have plenty of cash, are not phased by expensive meals and no info, are not too stressed about being booked on a tiger safari and have a print out of your booking confirmation then the problems we experienced won't worry you.

Sadly I cannot recommend this hotel for the reasons below:

1. I found the manager to be insincere and unprofessional.  On our second day the manager got quite stressed when we didn't present a print out of our booking.com confirmation. I didn't appreciate the tone he took which I felt was a bit unnerving and made me feel uncomfortable.  We had never been asked for a print out before and showed the email to him on our phone. No one had contacted us from the hotel to say that they needed a print out.  The manager was adamant that he needed a print out of the confirmation and that he needed my partner to sign it.  There is no wi-fi or printer at the hotel however.  As a result, the manager escorted us to an Internet cafe en route to our next destination where my partner was forced to try and print out the confirmation.  The printer wasn't working so my partner then had to email the confirmation to the manager's personal email address.  Unnecessary, time consuming and bizarre!  Given the manager's insistence that this was all because he needed my partner to sign the confirmation for his head office - I have no idea how he is now going to get my partner's signature.

2. No information was given to us about how much things cost including water which is usually complimentary until we left.  We were charged 800IRS (about $15) for each simple veg buffet meal (3 dishes - dhal, rice, paneer/potato masala and pop pappadum/chappati) for both of us plus extra for any drinks.  The food was tasty but it is not worth that much. I felt that we had been misled and ripped off.  I wasn't there when my partner sorted out the bill otherwise I would have said something.  The other places we contacted for quotes (as well as other safari lodges we have stayed at) included all meals as the lodges are in the middle of no where with no restaurants nearby.  We were also served one meal when we arrived at half midnight (our train was 2 hours late). We weren't really hungry but felt bad that the food was ready and assumed it was included so stayed up until 1am to eat it despite being exhausted.  Had we known that it would have cost $15 we wouldn't have had it.

On reflection I assume that one of the reasons there are no prices advertised in the rooms or anywhere else may be because  foreigners pay far more than local tourists - not something we've experienced elsewhere when it comes to food prices.

3. The booking.com details stated that the hotel accepted all credit cards.  When we arrived we were told that we had to pay in cash despite not having the cash on us or any ATMs being nearby.  Our bill was quite a lot as we had booked and still needed to pay for 2 tiger safaris plus it turns out - the expensive meals we had consumed, and 2 expensive taxi journeys - around US$600!  That is a lot of rupees!  My partner explained that he had no cash as it said that credit cards were accepted on the confirmation but the manager just ignored him.  There had been numerous emails between my partner and the reception so we were a bit annoyed that we hadn't been warned about this. My partner asked a couple of times how he was expected to pay but the manager just told him to not worry and they would work something out.  I was a bit stressed however as I just wanted to know how we were expected to pay.  To resolve it, the hotel sent someone as an escort in our taxi - on a 5 hour journey of which the escort would have to make the return journey too - so that we could go by an ATM and give the money to the escort.  The ATM wouldn't even let us withdraw that much money in one go so we had to make multiple withdrawals.  We also had to pay an inflated price for the taxi journey probably for the taxi to take the man back.

4. The bill was handwritten. Was wrong and had to be corrected. We were also not given a copy.

5. We asked whether the hotel had a laundry service and were told they did.  Again we were not told how much it would cost - one of the hotel staff arrived and collected the items.  On our last night we asked for our items back but were told that we would get them in the morning.  Morning came but no laundry.  We were told that the items would arrive before we left.  They didn't.  Thankfully we remembered about the items while the manager was in the taxi with us and we managed to pick them up on our way.  The manager then asked for 160IRS outside the laundry place.  My partner explained that he obviously had no cash on him and would not be able to get any small notes.

6.  The rooms were generally clean although the rugs on each side of the bed were covered in dust and bits - they has obviously not been beaten or cleaned for a while.

7.  There was a TV but it didn't work. Sheets were old and a bit stained although I'm sure they had been washed.

8. The dining area was very cold as it is completely open.  There is one small fire in the middle of the room but it was still not enough. The rooms were also quite cold but we did have a small electric heater so it wasn't too bad.

9. There is no wi-fi or printer if the manager starts insisting you need to print things out to sign.  I'm not sure if there is Internet either despite what is on booking.com.

10. On paying the bill my partner was put on the spot and asked to write a review on a piece of paper.  My partner told him we would be putting a review on tripadvisor and booking.com but he said that this was for their website.  My partner wrote a few positive lines about the food and staff as the manager watched and was then asked to sign it but felt uncomfortable about doing so. Not the best way to elicit feedback.

11. Organising a tiger safari was difficult.  We contacted the reception as soon as we booked about 5 weeks before we were due to arrive.  We checked the availability of permits online and knew which ones we wanted.  The government website kept crashing when we tried to book the permits direct so we contacted reception for help.  First the guy said that they would book the safaris we wanted, then they said they needed to be paid in advance and that by that stage the safaris we wanted to book had booked up, so we had to pay more to share a permit with someone else (doesn't make sense to me either), they then would not produce an invoice which we needed to transfer the money.  My partner is very patient but I was close to trying to cancel the whole booking as all the emails were so time consuming and it didn't look like we were going to have any tiger safaris at all at this rate. Thankfully the guy at the office said that as we were arriving in a few days he would book them for us and we could pay when we arrive.  We paid 6,000IRS (US$96) flor a zone 2 safari and 10,800IRS (US$58) for a zone 1 safari.

12. No information was provided or given in advance about breakfast/dinner times etc which was a bit annoying as we had to keep asking.

13. No on site reception/office - it seems that the guy we were corresponding with to arrange our tiger safari is not based at the hotel.

Admittedly we should have made more effort to confirm what things cost.  In the absence of no information and based on the quotes we received from elsewhere and our experiences of staying in other lodges we assumed that meals were included.

We had no idea that this place would be that expensive.  We got some quotes from other places nearby like the luxurious sounding Nature Heritage Resort which were more highly rated and turned them down for Wildflower because we thought it would be cheaper.  I just wish we would have known how expensive and stressful staying at Wildflower would turn out to be.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank eatydrinky
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I would probably give a lower rating, but the family here are a nice family. The rooms, while overpriced for what they are are not that bad and the beds are comfortable.

However this resort is nowhere near the quality you would expect based on the price, or as good as the professional photographs suggest.

We initially got our taxi from Jabalpur to the resort. This was 5000 rupees. We've had a taxi from Agra to Delhi for 3000 rupees which is a further distance. I think we overpaid for this.

On arrival we were given a meal. It was the best meal we ate during our stay at the resort. It all went very much downhill from there. The rest of the food was bland, the meals were all very similar and the focus on vegetarian food was too great. The words "luxury resort" give connotations of high quality food and plenty of choice. This was not the case here - you get what you are given and it's just not that great. There are no other places to eat nearby and incidentally the food gave us both bad stomachs on several occasions. As the food is not even spicy it made me wonder how well it was prepared and as we ate nowhere else we can only conclude this was due to the food served at this resort.

In addition at mealtimes you were "over-served". Crowded at the table and watched intently. Food served very slowly directly onto your plate. I'd rather just have the food be put on the table and be left to eat. Eventually this crowding just lead us to asking for food to be served in our room. The guy working in the shop was also pressuring us to do tours on many occasions, so there really was no peace except when hiding in the room!

On going to our room for the first time we discovered there was no toilet roll. We tried ringing reception, but the phone did not work. We walked from the room and eventually found the staff to get this. We advised the phone did not work in the room (there was no dial tone), but were told it did work. It randomly started ringing and working on the 3rd day of our stay.

During the first night our sleep was quite poor. The rooms are actually very cold at night in November. The air conditioning is necessary for only one thing - to heat the room. However whatever temperature it was on only cold air blasted out. There were no extra blankets in the room so with the combination of no phone and it being late we spent the first night cold.

I jumped in the shower the next day hoping it would be hot. Despite running it for 10 minutes or so it was still freezing cold. The showers seemed to be freezing cold very early morning and from mid afternoon onwards. Not great for safari timings.

We found the TV in our room didn't work. I advised of this and after several attempts someone eventually came to check (we gave up trying to get anyone to sort the phone). We were told it is working. Clearly "working" means the screen switches on rather than being able to view channels. Eventually I worked out myself that the yellow wire was in the white socket of the satellite box and vice versa. We found there were no English entertainment and movie channels. We asked if these could be added and were told it would need adding for all 12 rooms. We calculated this would cost approximately 1200 rupees per month (£12) in total for all rooms. A pretty paltry sum for a "luxury resort". We'd have liked to have had these channels as there is nothing to do at night and there is no alcohol at the resort - will come to that later!

There is no wifi or internet at the resort. We did not realise this prior to arriving unfortunately and this was a problem as we need this for business. The mobile broadband dongle did not work and was saying "no SIM" on the laptop. After explaining this to a staff member for around 10 minutes and asking if there was another to try he replied "fried rice?". At this stage and after many incidents of not having requests carried out or understood we pretty much gave up!

The resort pictures on the website are incidentally very misleading. The pool was dirty and had lots of frogs living in it. A fire is begrudgingly lit in the dining area if you request it. There is no roaring fire unless you ask for this. Without this it is pretty damn cold. Our room was nowhere near as nice as pictures suggest.

We also had asked for an extra safari one afternoon. We were told they would "do their best" to book it. The next day we asked a staff member if we were booked on this. As usual the communication was not really understood. After the safari was due to start we were asked if we were still going. We raised our surprise at not being told about it and said we did not want to go now as we'd already wasted some of the safari time.

Other resorts seem to supply blankets for people going on safari. You might want to take one with you. It is very cold even with a jacket and warm clothes in the morning.

I could tolerate these failings if it wasn't so expensive. In India we were paying 2000 rupees for high quality rooms where everything worked. At 5500 rupees per night for the breakfast only deal this was nearly 3 times as expensive for an inferior room and inferior service.

We ordered some beers for our last night (they had to go and get them for us). On getting the bill the next day we were charged 300 rupees per beer. English prices - excellent! We've been to the bottle shops before - they're 55 rupees and normally hotels and guesthouses do not charge above 150.

We may have complained and asked for some money back on checking out, but all the staff who may have spoken English well enough to understand were not around.

I just wish more effort had been put into helping us with things we did need and request rather than things we didn't need. We were told that outside of Indian holidays around 80% of guests are foreign. I cannot see that this resort caters to foreign tourist's tastes at all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AmazingSimon
Bombay,India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

We visited Bandhavgarh national park in the first week of Nov 2013. Stayed at the WildFlower. There were issues, but they were sorted...like, we got the bedsheets etc changed when we checked in. the shower had a problem and the water heater was not functioning really well. On the first noght there was a rat in our room, so that meant that for the next two nights, we did not use the extra bed that was provided.
The food, on the first lunch was a shocker - only Veg. Biryani ..that too not really a great one, but couldn't really complain as we were the only guests that night. From then on , the food got better. But whatever was served was good and more like home-cooked food.
Our safaris were arranged by the hotel and so was the transfer from Jabalpur to Bandhavgarh. There is a lot of scope for negotiations on the transfers - to give you an idea, from BJP to bandhavghar, the rate was 5K for an AC innova (good condition car) and on the return the rate was 3K for the same car/driver when we booked via someone else. The hotel, then realised and offered us the same ride in 2.5K.

Room Tip: Just look around...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RBM0307
BANGALORE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

* Location is beside the core forest , where the wildness of the forest and calmness of villages cooexist.
* Royal ambience is created in the rooms and dining space in the midst of wilderness.
* Excellent food and prompt service.
* We got the opportunity of walk in the dense jungle and also walk through paddy fields and small villages of the local tribals.
* The hosts take care of minute details and made us feel that we have visited our relations house not a luxury resort.
* The custom of the entire team assembling to bid goodbye at the time of check out is lingering with fond remembrance.
* The day we stayed happened to be Diwali festival. The pooja performed in the reception along with chanting of mantras in the mist of the silent forest has given us the real diwali feeling.
It has been an amazing experience and an ultimate example of customer delight not just satisfaction.

Room Tip: All rooms are well positioned.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank S M
Calicut, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

The Wildflower is in a great location for true nature and wildlife lovers. Away from the bustle, amid flitting butterflies and chirping birds, with lush greenery all round- the serenity is blissful.

A big thumbs up to the service - extremely courteous and helpful. I would like to mention the manager Mr.Sharma, and the boys (one of them is called Chhote). The naturalist Ashish is passionate about the wild and very knowledgable.
The food - Was a treat. Without too much masala or oil, it was almost like home cooked food, which is a blessing.
The rooms are huge, and well furnished, and the beds very comfortable.
There was some confusion with regards to my safari bookings but the owner, Avinash, and the manager bent over backwards to make up for it and even managed to get me booked on another safari. So really, no complaints!
For me, a diehard nature lover, it was all about the location and the safaris. The swimming pool in a resort in the middle of the forest doesnt really matter at all. its being there is an extra, but definitely not essential. I was actually a little amused that the previous reviewer lamented so much about it.
Having travelled the world over, and having stayed in hotels ranging from budget to five star, i can truly say that my experience at the Wildflower has been one of the best - because it felt like home.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo