“Horrible experience”

Saraswati ( Pure Vegetarian )
Ranked #18 of 57 Mount Abu B&B and Inns
Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
“Horrible experience”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had planned my trip to Mount Abu well in advance during the Janmasthami Holiday from 10-12th August.The Hotel Saraswati ,which calls itself a Family Hotel is the worst place to stay in,the room are in pathetic conditions,with stinking smell,bad odour,toilets and bathrooms are so dirty and unhygienic that u want to vomit it.Despite the best efforts the staff and the owner who lives on the backyard was of no help.There is no fixed tariff ,they were charging abnormal rates 4000/= and 6000/=, which a good 5 star in metros charge,Its not the rate ,its the way the hotel is being presented.From outside it does look OK but from inside ,it was a nightmarish experience.,and I recommend to one and all friends ,reading never ever dream of staying in this hotel. There is something fishy also, no tariff card is displayed, no bills are being given against the payment.It requires intervention from the government officials,sales tax as well as Income tax which I am recommending.None of us slept the whole night and I left early morning at 6,O,Clock, having a pretty bad experience.

The owner was so miser that he had just 3-4 newspaper in his hotel and you were suppose to sit in the reception room and read it.God save such people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dabshrawan
karnjani, Public Relations Manager at Saraswati ( Pure Vegetarian ), responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Sir,

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the high season rates present during the Janmashtami holidays. As you have learnt by now that peak season period is quite unreasonable for a leisure traveller who didn't plan ahead of time and decided to go on a holiday anyways. Though the rates go quite high for that period, there is no change in the services offered, complimentary or paid.

As you had noticed that ours is an established property since 1954 and have been rewarded for consumer services by the Government of Rajasthan. Its our endeavor to provide you the best environment and the safest stay for families, we leave no stone unturned. It is very disappointing to learn from your experience that there were a few shortcomings on our part. With this mail I assure you that we learn from consumer experiences and try to improve everyday. Hygiene and tidiness is given most importance along with prompt service.

As far as the the issue with newspaper is concerned, we believe that most of our customers have become accustomed to reading their daily news from websites and aggregate sites directly and for which we provide complimentary WiFi service. However, not completely avoiding the old habits, we do have subscriptions from two Hindi dailies, two Gujarati dailies and one English newspaper. The idea of reading in the common area is to make sure that during the daytime at least every other customer gets to browse through the papers before leaving for their sight seeing. At night, however, there is no restriction from carrying the paper to your room. Further, if you need a separate copy for yourself we also reserve an extra copy on request directly from the vendor.

In the end, I would again like to bring to your notice that every tourist place has its own peaks and lows. Its these changes that a smart traveller considers before hitting the road. Though I can't change what you've already experienced, but I can always hope that you would give us another chance to serve you with all the improvements you expect from a budget hotel like us.

Wishing you and your family a warm and fruitful New Year ahead.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights between 24 and 26 June 2012. Had booked it last minute online through travelguru and did not have a printout. But I had the SMS and softcopy of the reservation. The reception desk accepted that and set me off to the room. The room had some issue with the odour and he promptly changed me to a different room.

The room was comfortable with a big cotton mattress and a sofa. The bathroom was clean but the fittings were quite old.

Service was good as there was always a person just a call away, waiting on the floor. Food was quite tasty.

There was only one issue on the day of departure, that the room service took quite long and the service did not start as per availability time. I mention this, because I had to catch an early transport bus and missed the bus due to the delay. I had mentioned my need for tea to be served early since I had a bus to catch and the reception desk agreed to arrange it.

Other than that, it was a pleasant stay and the desk staff were quite helpful too

Room Tip: Don't bank on a mountain valley view as the view of the mountain was ok The rooms on the side o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sir,

We appreciate your taking out some time and reviewing our property. And though there is quite some delay in the response, we apologise for the discomfort caused due to not-so-prompt service during your stay.

We believe you'll give us another chance to serve you in a better way.
Warm wishes for the season.

Stockholm
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed here for three nights feb -12. Good location but not scenic. Had one of the biggest most "luxurious" rooms. Unfortunately the bathroom was not cleaned before I arrived (and not during my stay, either). The room was in general a bit shabby with stains on the walls etc. Sleep was good for me, but there was some noise outside until around 11 pm which didn't bother me since I'm up late. Dinner - Gujarati thali, veg - was great. Staff was very nice and helpful. Wifi in reception and a nice dog to play with.

If the cleanliness of your room is important to you I would recommend another place. For me it was ok.

Now the best part: the staff hooked me up with the guide Narayan, who turned out to be a very nice, humble and intelligent man who is working part time helping the tribal community. We did a trek around the hills and he told me a lot of interesting things about the flora, fauna, tribal people etc. Had great discussions about India and life in general - I learned a lot. Also did a interesting tour of the jain temple with him. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Sir,

Its been quite a while since you had written about us on Tripadvisor. But as the year comes to an end and we hope better things in the coming year, we appreciate your review and hope to see you again next year so that we can have a chance to serve you better and work upon our shortcomings.

Hope you'll plan your next visit soon.
Happy Thanksgiving and warm season wishes.

Montreal
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I warmly recommend hotel Saraswati in Mount Abu. We felt like at home. The manager Karen and his team did their best to accomodate us and the service was great. At one point, my friend was sick and they were very caring with her. The restaurant serves all you can eat veg.Thali that are very tasty. Karen also recommended a guide for trekking: his name is Narayan : he is a very knowledgable and experienced guide. If you want to visit Mount Abu, I stongly recommand Saraswati hotel and go trekking with Narayan, he will show you how beautiful and fascinating Mount Abu's nature and landscapes are!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maryse B
Madame,

We appreciate your positive review of our property. Though there has been a long time since you wrote it, still we believe we must thank you for the positive rating you have given us.

I personally was happy to have you and served you with as much courtsey as expected. If there was anything left to be explored in and around Abu, which I believe always is, then you must make another visit soon.

Warm wishes for the holiday season.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel is very near to Lucky lake and you can go walking from this place. This is centrally located with all good services provided specially for family and holiday stay along with you children. So don miss this place at Mount Abu.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank vick1984
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed October 24, 2011

the rooms were dirty and the sheets were stained.there weren't enough warm blankets and there were no curtains at all....the staff were stupid and there are no real amenities as such. the bathrooms are supposedly filthy with cockroaches in them.the commodes are broken and their contents spills onto the bathroom floor.

Room Tip: dont go even if your given a room free of cost
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mount Abu hotels

Pilani, India
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Hotel is clean but rooms are closed without sunlight and ventilation. there are lots of better hotels in abu for the same tariff. Pity you can't access them for online booking

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank rahulvarma
karnjani, General Manager at Saraswati ( Pure Vegetarian ), responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Dear Mr. Varma,

Thankyou for sparing time to write about us.
We would like to bring to your knowledge that our property has different types of rooms with different facilities. Most of them are having either garden view or mountain view. Ventilation is not an issue with any of them.
Nevertheless, we apologise for any discomfort caused during the period of your stay. Do give us an opportunity to serve you better on your next visit to Mount Abu.