“Very enjoyable”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
England
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We had an excellent meal at the Scared Crow last night. I would recommend the burritos. The pub/restaurant has a good friendly atmosphere and the service was attentive and efficient.

Visited November 2013

kent
“Really enjoyable”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I visited the scared crow it's the third time in the last couple of months that i have been and as always was greeted by the friendly staff and was quite surprised by the buzzing atmosphere for a Monday night the food was very quickly served and as uasal the chicken fajitas were amazing will defiantly be going again soon on a weekend evening to try the rest of the menu

• Visited October 2013
Kent
“Scared Crow, West Malling”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Enjoyed a very pleasant evening in the Scared Crow on Saturday. The little place was packed full of locals and so the atmosphere was very warm and welcoming. My partner ordered the Chilli Crocker and I tried some, it was very nice. I ordered the Quesadillas which were very tasty with the chicken although I probably should have ordered the chilli variety because I love jalapeños and this was on offer. I will need to go back and try some more. There was so much food, we couldn't order dessert. I would definitely return because of the bar staff, the food and the general cosy feeling the place has, it's very informal. It feels very much like you're on holiday, shame you can't bottle the ambiance and take it with..

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“So bland”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We decided to try the Scared Crow in the first week of August, because of the excellent rating here on Tripadvisor, but we were so disappointed that I just had to come on here and let others know this place does NOT do the great food (it maybe) once served, in our experience.

We were greeted by a friendly lady at the bar who took out order, and we went into the garden where we waited excitedly for our food to arrive. When it did arrive the chilli (spiced up) which came in a kettle bowl was totally lacking in spice or flavour, it was the type of food I would expect out of a poor microwave dinner meal, it was that bad, and my girlfriend's quesadilla was no different, with no flavour in it whatsoever. On top of this it wasn't cheap, about £15 each.

If the people at the Scared Crow read this I suggest you change your chef and try the food yourself, because this is as far away from great Mexican food as I have ever tasted.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank smokinjoe03
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We visited for an evening meal during a weekday as we had read the glowing reviews here and wanted to see it for ourselves. We were a family of five to include two young children. We were greeted warmly and made feel welcome but we were shoved into a fairly tight space like sardines. The landlady was doubling as bar staff and waitress so service was slow. The food was at best average; the pizza ( that most people like crispy) was soggy the quesadillas that should be soft was crispy. The burger was pretty ordinary and the garlic mushrooms had no garlic. The adults had a bottle of wine and three pints, the children had a soft drink; the food was three starters, a pizza, a burger, a pasta dish and the quesadillas- this came to a few pennies short of £100. So overall we didn't think this was good value for money and the food itself was disappointing.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Koula A
scaredcrow, Owner at The Scared Crow, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Madam,

I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience at the Scared Crow . I remember your family coming in that day as it was early and food service doesn't begin until 6pm, therefor the restaurant side was very quiet at that time. You were given a table that would normally seat 6 - 8 people with no other diners around you, however we are a small pub and have to maximise our space in order to survive and many people who visit us on a regular basis understand this and enjoy the buzzing atmosphere. Most of our food is prepared on site and cooked to order so this means you may have a slightly longer wait to that of a 'fast food chain' . The Quisadillas you mentioned are toasted and this is the correct way for them to be served. In response to your comment regarding the cost of your meal, we try to keep our prices as low as possible and this relfects in the much higher prices on the high street however we think we give excellent value for money. Your children were drinking bottles of a branded juice that evening which are a lot more expensive but we do have cheaper options on offer.

Kind regards